Sponsored by:

Got rear-ended yesterday ... :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Can't say for sure if that was the case, but for the most part when a bolt is "sheared off" it was likely from movement/play. When they're tight W/O play it's rare for them to shear. If it was over torqued and weaked, it may have been ready to snap off and the collision forces finished it off.
Good points, obviously one cannot be too careful here in the choice and treatment of hardware. Race seats have a lot more fasteners to worry about than stock seats.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:01 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I wonder if the police report even analyzes the prime cause of the incident (I don't call anything that is avoidable, an accident), or if they are just too uninterested. If the driver was texting, will they search his usage record?
That's why they're not called accidents anymore. Collisions are primarily caused by inattention. This one will find the primary collision factor (PCF) as unsafe speed for conditions and an associated factor of inattention like (radio,texting/cell, eating/drinking.
The only time a moving violation is not the PCF is a DUI. Then the DUI is PCF and the actual moving violation is the assoc. factor.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

The nutso thing here is that the car companies are lobbying the National Highway and Traffic Administration (NHTSA) big time to open up what they term "the center stack" which the area of the car from the forward, lower part of the center console up to the bottom of the windshield.

They want NHTSA to allow them to put video, verbal comment text messaging, and all manner of distracting technologies there in order to conduct a big experiment to see how many people are killed by the idea. One of the company representatives was quoted as stating that one should be able to read and respond to emails and text messages while car is at a stop light. Then there is the control of entertainment, mapping systems, other information systems they want to also distract the driver with. Crazy in my opinion.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:22 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The nutso thing here is that the car companies are lobbying the National Highway and Traffic Administration (NHTSA) big time to open up what they term "the center stack" which the area of the car from the forward, lower part of the center console up to the bottom of the windshield.

They want NHTSA to allow them to put video, verbal comment text messaging, and all manner of distracting technologies there in order to conduct a big experiment to see how many people are killed by the idea. One of the company representatives was quoted as stating that one should be able to read and respond to emails and text messages while car is at a stop light. Then there is the control of entertainment, mapping systems, other information systems they want to also distract the driver with. Crazy in my opinion.
Remember when the only distraction in a car was the radio (and pretty scenery)? Cars may be safer now but all the distracting technology available to us has set us backwards IMO. Driving should NOT be on the multitask list.

VERY sorry to see this Bonnie.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:29 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just another example of the government thinking they can legislate better actions on the publics behalf. You can't fix stupid and unfortunately I think stupid is growing in numbers beyond belief. I call it uncommon sense and uncommon courtesy. It's just not the common denominator anymore. Sad, but a fact of our society now. :-(
Old 05-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

For those of you who wonder more about the "Center Stack" read here:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...news/110909940
Old 05-04-2014, 04:41 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Florida's driving while texting laws are a joke. Up until October, 2013 it was legal to text while driving. The new law is considered a secondary offense meaning the driver must be cited for something else first. Even then the fine is $30 for texting. You can text while at a red light and stopped in traffic. And police can't confiscate cell phone records unless you kill or seriously injure someone.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:03 PM
kr994
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Five seconds is the average time your eyes are off the road while texting. When traveling at 55mph, that's enough time to cover the length of a football field blindfolded. NHTSA
Old 05-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Florida's driving while texting laws are a joke. Up until October, 2013 it was legal to text while driving. The new law is considered a secondary offense meaning the driver must be cited for something else first. Even then the fine is $30 for texting. You can text while at a red light and stopped in traffic. And police can't confiscate cell phone records unless you kill or seriously injure someone.
Similar here in CA.

I don't suspect the phone company lobby has anything to do with this?

Naw, can't be...could it?

Frankly, IMHO DUI and driving while texting are potentially the same in consequence and should be the same in punishment.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:17 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

I haven't been on the 993 board for a while and this just makes me sick. What the heck is wrong with people? No one pays attention anymore. Put the golly gosh darn phone away and drive! Put your makeup on before you leave. Drink your coffee when you get to the office. Shave at home. Dress at home. Practice the flute the night before (honest. Robert saw a dude playing the flute and driving with both hands on the flute!). It's demolition derby ever stinkin' time you leave the house.

Bonni, why didn't you tell me yesterday???
Old 05-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Remember when the only distraction in a car was the radio (and pretty scenery)?
My only crash is pictured in my avatar.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:21 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Bummer crash!!!! Good that you are Ok.
Since moving to FL, it appears that the drivers here totally suck. Never saw such A$$holes who should never have a license. The car manufacturers should be held accountable for adding distractions to their cars. It is bad enough that 'people' don't pay attention as it is with out adding more crap. For many, driving is a commodity or inconvenience of getting from point A to point B. Driver ed and licensing testing is a joke!!!!! Self driving cars will be another joke...
Old 05-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT

Bonni, why didn't you tell me yesterday???
It's on my Facebook thingee. And I thought there was something special going on with you (good or bad I cannot remember) and didn't wanna ruin it (that might be someone else entirely - my mind has been pretty shot down the past couple of days). I normally have the typical change of life, mid 40s female memory . . . but these past couple of days I am like an Alzheimer's patient. Not kidding. I forget stuff left and right. I think I am still pretty dang dazed or something.

I have made sure to keep repeating the story over and over, if only in my head, to make sure my brain doesn't erase it. Often traumatic incidents disappear. It's how the brain protects you, or something. So I am making sure I have it memorized.

I don't even remember for sure talking to ya'll yesterday, Jo. Sorry about that. Good thing it wasn't my anniversary, huh?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
My only crash is pictured in my avatar.
ROFL!!! Stop . . . your making my ribs hurt more.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:16 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Remember when the only distraction in a car was the radio (and pretty scenery)?

I expect that you are alluding to the scenery with two legs that gets more distracting as the temperatures rise.

Quick Reply: Got rear-ended yesterday ... :(