Sponsored by:

Got rear-ended yesterday ... :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Wow......

Good to hear your injuries seem relatively minor. It would seem like the dude was at a decent clip.

I've been paranoid ever since a mate of mine was thrown off his bike at a light due to an ignorant driver. As a result, I almost always pick the far lane and leave about a car's distance to "move" away if you will (all while keeping an eye out). Whether that would help in real life, I'm not exactly sure. Could be more peace of mind than anything.

It would be interesting to see what the valuation is on your 993.......

Rest up!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:26 PM
esses
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sheez that car looks like it was immaculate. sorry for your troubles but at least you are OK
Old 05-03-2014, 07:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,891 Likes on 2,410 Posts

fauk
glad u ok bonster.
keep us posted on ur recovery
Old 05-03-2014, 08:06 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So sorry to see that you became one of the victims of the hoards of "non-drivers" out there. I have been investigating collisions for about 15 plus years. A very small amount (almost none) could have been avoided. When someone is doing nothing (but waiting to yield to traffic) and gets hurt like this it's very aggravating. The party at fault usually tries to state it was anyones fault but there's. I assume everybody on the road is a complete moron and expect them all to do the most ridiculous things. Try and leave a couple car lengths and possibly an out when stopped. Not only for dip $hit drivers, but car jackings or anyone else that may walk up on you. My wife was stopped and rear ended by a kid on his way to college. She braced for the impact looking in her mirror. I asked why she didn't just pull forward (which she had room to do) and out of the way. She said she just sorta froze up and didn't even think of that as an option. Glad to hear your doing alright. Next week will be rough. Don't ignore pain! I did for years only to find out I had broken my neck at some point without knowing.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

That sucks. Glad your ok.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 462 Likes on 301 Posts

Aw crap. I hope your injuries are minor and that you are doing well.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:11 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

I agree that the guy was more than likely distracted by cell phone usage, either texting or simply making a phone call.

I nearly had a head on collision about 7 years ago. The driver of the other car was on his cell phone which I could easily see, but of course he denied it. Fortunately, there was sufficent room in my lane which enabled me to move over about four feet without hitting a line of trees. So my 997S sustained significant damage to the driver's side of the car, but I did avoid a head on collision which would have probably been fatal for me since he was driving a 4X4 F 250 Ford truck which probably had a curb weight of nearly 6K lbs. When the guy got out of his truck, he said "sorry I didn't see you."

Anyway my best wishes to you for a speedy recovery. Whenever I encounter situations like yours, I try to comfort myself by thinking that it could have been a lot worse.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Bonnie, thank god you got away without life threatening injuries, looks like your 993 absorbed a LOT of the energy, and as you said, saved you from what could have been something very tragic.

It looks like in the photo's your airbag did not trigger, which I think is correct action for a rear-ender, and it also looks like the pickup truck's airbag is deployed. I guess the 993's nose running under the car in front of you was not sufficient to blow your airbag - and because the 993 air bags are old style, they can cause injuries all by themselves.

Be patient healing and make sure you have good records with your doctor in case you need it for future claims - and really best wishes for a quick recovery!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-03-2014, 09:35 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Have your insurance company check the other drivers cell phone records for evidence of text messaging ... Good luck with your claim!
Old 05-03-2014, 09:38 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Bonnie - sorry to learn of your troubles. Get well soon and yes,,, there will be other 993 coupes. It would appear the coupe absorbed quite a hit . . . .

Cheers, Mike
Old 05-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what my husband said when he looked the car over, the engine didn't get hurt. I am sure the motor mounts are toast - but they were worn anyway. I will be removing the other hard back Sport seat should they try to total it. I will also be removing my front adjustable cam plates and my Rennline strut bar. Wish I could remove the RS clutch happy meal, but that's kinda silly since it has wear. I will be removing the six point harness. The seat (FIA-rated, as I said in the OP) is ruined, but it protected me. I want the harness bar, too. And I especially want my Cup rims with track tires that are barely worn from it.

But what I really want is for it to be able to be repaired. The air bags did NOT deploy. Before you go saying it's because they are old . . . just last weekend I was looking for codes with my Durametric and there were no fault codes in the air bag system. I must have just hit the Cadillac just right. I don't want a different car. I want Blupurr. But if I can't have the car, I want the parts. If I can't have the parts, then I want the current value of a car in great condition, plus the parts price when new.

To say that I am frustrated would be very underrated. That car protected me. If I had been in my Miata, that impact probably would have killed me.

As a side note, I already have a bad back from a rear ender in 1998. I had back surgery this past December 19th to correct it. I have been working out and am in great physical condition these days. Being in shape and the car itself are two things I have to thank for being merely a little sore. Mentally I am pretty messed up right now. My eyelids are beyond swollen because I keep having these bouts of out of the blue crying spells.

Oof. Anyway . . . one day at a time. I really don't wanna start over. I have put a lot of work into this car, including refreshing the entire exhaust side. There is just so much I have done since its purchase in 2009. I sincerely doubt there is another 993 out there that could possibly replace the connection I have to this car.

Okay . . . I better stop or I will cry on my dang keyboard. Love you guys.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:00 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So sorry to hear of your incident and glad to know that you weren't seriously injured. Hope you're able to get a favorable insurance claim when everything is all set and done.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:01 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this awful news. glad to hear your alright cause thats all that matters.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
His claim was he "looked away for a second." Bullcrap. He was texting I bet.
No doubt. I got nailed by a cell phone yapping idiot while I was stopped in traffic, except I was on a motorcycle.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by esses
sheez that car looks like it was immaculate. sorry for your troubles but at least you are OK
It was . . . plus track mods. I am so sick to my stomach. My insurance policy says "actual cash value" on both the comp and collision section. I don't even really understand that right now. My brain is in a fog because I am so afraid they are gonna book the car down to a value half of what it is worth. I am really, really hating my life right now.

Quick Reply: Got rear-ended yesterday ... :(