993 Forum 1995-1998

Project Lightweight

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Sound good - although not sure if the weight trade-off for the airbag is worth the reduction in safety. I have had a few friends saved from major injury due to these devices, so that is one that I would not skip. If you do not carry passengers, then i can see that one being nuked...

Everything else, yeah it's comfort and luxury, toss away!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 167 Posts

Just got the list from my very similar project. the listed weights are actual measured. the lower part is just in the making.
please be aware that i also added some track stuff ...
about 1,200kg (2,650lbs) is what i'm aiming for ...

... opps, i nearly forgot; i ordered also a GRP rear lid with duck-tail, that can count for another 10kg loss, but im not sure if i like the optic ...
Old 05-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger3.2
Just got the list from my very similar project. the listed weights are actual measured. the lower part is just in the making.
please be aware that i also added some track stuff ...
about 1,200kg (2,650lbs) is what i'm aiming for ...

... opps, i nearly forgot; i ordered also a GRP rear lid with duck-tail, that can count for another 10kg loss, but im not sure if i like the optic ...
Great data thank you!

As for the stereo it was all custom some years ago. We built the fiberglass sub enclosure in the rear seat well. No idea what it's worth...

Here is the link to the install from way back.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...s-of-pics.html
Old 05-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
Great data thank you!

As for the stereo it was all custom some years ago. We built the fiberglass sub enclosure in the rear seat well. No idea what it's worth...

Here is the link to the install from way back.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...s-of-pics.html
I remember that install, very nice piece of work. More space than I am willing to sacrifice right now, I was thinking more of the Rod Birch style.

rlme36, you're up....
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Don't forget the bumpers,
get rid of the US pillows
the US bumper hydraulics
swiss cheese or remove the bumper bars
this adds up to ~15# from the extreme ends of the car

get rid of the huge window washer tank and install an RS version

get rid if the lid shocks and use an RS prop or a clamp

of course you need the RS flywheel/clutch package

ditch all the trunk carpet and covers

use a weld in cage, it will be lighter, stronger and stiffen the chassis more

l/w wheels & tires can make a big difference too
Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 1995 993 and I converterd it into a 993 RS Clubsport clone way back in 1997. Many DEs and Club races from SEbring to Mosport.

Keep your 993 door panels but remove the arms and map pockets, remove the sun visors, replace the seats with Recaro race seats 12# each versus 55# and I left my carpet in but removed the passnger and driver side foot carpet and installedaluminum panels.

Remove the heavy catalytic converters and mufflers and I installed catbypass pipe Fabspeed X pipe and Maxflo mufflers, CUP airbox and 964 RS carbon fiber heater blower replacement duct (-8#) and removed rear aluminum bumper support and shocks (leave the front so she turns in u need weight on the nose, stock Sears die hard u need weight on the nose, GT2 EVO strut bar, no carpets of any kind in front trunk, no tools no space saver tire (more gasoline for turn in) light weight BBS wheels, stock glass, rear bolt in roll bar car weights 2800# with 1/2 tank gas.

3.8L ANDIAL engine and gearbox with stock power steering and Alpine CD radio and speakers and PW windows and steering.of course RS Flywheel race clutch, carbon fiber front hood strut, removed windshield washer tank all (RainX) and GT2 EVO hubs arms etc. Bilstein CUP shocks and RSR antiroll bars camber plates.

BIGGEST mistake removing Airconditioning..........saved 13# on compressor and lines and 3 # of fron condensor...........can not drive car when its Hot & Humid. Last 15# absolutely not worth it and you can measure it street or track driving.

85% of 993 RS and RS Clubsport cars came with A/C radio, power windows and all the stuff. Dont destroy the car just drive it faster.
I can post pictures next week. I have owned this car since 9/1994 and its a 1995 993 RSCS Clone....basically a Street Legal 993 CUP registered on the roads of PA!

Open house at Fabspeed this weekend. Sunday 11 to 2PM
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
BIGGEST mistake removing Airconditioning..........saved 13# on compressor and lines and 3 # of fron condensor...........can not drive car when its Hot & Humid. Last 15# absolutely not worth it and you can measure it street or track driving.

85% of 993 RS and RS Clubsport cars came with A/C radio, power windows and all the stuff. Dont destroy the car just drive it faster.
I can post pictures next week. I have owned this car since 9/1994 and its a 1995 993 RSCS Clone....basically a Street Legal 993 CUP registered on the roads of PA!

The AC thing is personal, I've never had AC in any 911 I've owned since '72 and never missed it.

When I removed the AC and all it's components I removed 31# that I never used
AC lines 8.00
fender radiator 5.00
compressor 15.00
brackets & hardware 3.00
total 31.00
Old 05-16-2013, 09:14 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

All good info.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Below is my similar sheet with projected weight using factory weight of 3064 pounds. Note scales may differ here, I use a digital strain gauge type scale which "seem"s pretty accurate but I have not calibrated

[/URL]
Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great info coming out from the Lightweight experts.....
Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Below is my similar sheet with projected weight using factory weight of 3064 pounds. Note scales may differ here, I use a digital strain gauge type scale which "seem"s pretty accurate but I have not calibrated

[/URL]
Alloy hood, nice score. I was offered one last year but it just wasn't in the budget

RS glass, that's a nice touch too!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

awesome info here guys...I can't wait to take it forward! Will posted progress. Does anyone have any insight in to the right or wrong way to delete the sunroof?

My tech has a customer they did this for once before whereby they used the existing sunroof panel to make a template for a new panel to weld in to it's place (once the motors, etc. are out). Paint and viola.

I've seen others replace the whole rook skin with an SC non sunroof version for example. Is there a reason not to just take the roof panel out and weld in a patch if done right?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:23 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

awesome info here guys...I can't wait to take it forward! Will posted progress. Does anyone have any insight in to the right or wrong way to delete the sunroof?

My tech has a customer they did this for once before whereby they used the existing sunroof panel to make a template for a new panel to weld in to it's place (once the motors, etc. are out). Paint and viola.

I've seen others replace the whole rook skin with an SC non sunroof version for example. Is there a reason not to just take the roof panel out and weld in a patch if done right?
I put in a CF Panel once the existing Sunroof and all that belonged to it was removed. I also put in a full cage though which more then makes up for any rigidity loss from the missing Sun roof.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is a potential cosmetic issue, w/ the welded/glued seams bleeding through, additionally welding distorts the sheet metal causing another potential cosmetic issue.

Fenn Lane has some nice flanged panels that are shaped to follow the sun roof curve, sunroof curve being different from non sunroof curve, the Fenn Lane panels are usually glued on to avoid welding distortions.

The roof is one of the most visible parts of the car.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Sage advice Bill thank you. Will check that option 1st

Quick Reply: Project Lightweight