Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Project Lightweight

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget Alu doors,(GT2 type) will shed out more than 80 pnds!!, btdt., cheers,
Sonny1.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:44 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aluminum doors don't save 80 pounds. A bare steel 911 door shell is pretty light -- the comparable aluminum door shell only saves a few pounds per side. What saves weight in the doors is removing speakers, replacing stock door panels/pulls with RS, and removing sound deadening and electric windows. And all of that can be done with steel doors.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Actually, not much is saved if only the electric window motors are removed - a little over a pound per door is all for just the motor hardware replaced with manual winder.

The real saving is to remove all the electrics from the door = power door lock actuator, power window kit, power mirror and most important the harness that goes with it all.

But then out goes the stock alarm system as well.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
Aluminum doors don't save 80 pounds. A bare steel 911 door shell is pretty light -- the comparable aluminum door shell only saves a few pounds per side. What saves weight in the doors is removing speakers, replacing stock door panels/pulls with RS, and removing sound deadening and electric windows. And all of that can be done with steel doors.
Really? well I have a pair which I'm going to weight and post the results, I will take the measurements with all the motors and frames on it and without the inner panels, I will do the same with a pair of stock doors,with all the motors and frames and without the inner panels, lets see what happens,I'll post the results,
cheers, Sonny1.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

love this weight loss program... do you think this also applies to the turbo as well? obvious, is the power is a little different
Old 06-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sonny1
Really? well I have a pair which I'm going to weight and post the results, I will take the measurements with all the motors and frames on it and without the inner panels, I will do the same with a pair of stock doors,with all the motors and frames and without the inner panels, lets see what happens,I'll post the results,
cheers, Sonny1.
Very cool, love to see these numbers
Old 06-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 167 Posts

love this weight loss program... do you think this also applies to the turbo as well? obvious, is the power is a little different
guess that applies to any 'normal' car

more power/less weight... nothing could be better ...
Old 10-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Just an update
removed now m/l everything as listed earlier...
today on the scale for corner balancing 1,205kg; all liquids, tank on reserve ...
that's 2,651 lbs gross

With additional weight input of 64 lbs for roll-bar etc. that's now about 475 lbs pulled out of the car

still some stuff in there which could go ...
but as i said before, its a 95% track car.
Street use only for the gas station and workshop,
Dxb Autodrome is opposite the street ...
Old 10-28-2013, 02:51 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 120 Posts

I do not know if mentioned before, due to my pc behind the chinese wall at work, but
I think the heaviest in a 993 door is the sound deadening sheet, the handles, the mechanical mechanism inside the door for open close, the metal structure inside mirror, the electric glass motor and of course the glass.
The rest is peanuts and the harness is nothing.
There is one thing that is pretty heavy and easily replaceable, is the under-carriage middle cache. The cover that goes from gearbox to front, next to fuel pump.
I saw a carbon one once
Old 10-28-2013, 03:43 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is awesome... Some impressive weight savings...

I weighed mine on the weekend with Half a tank of gas and adjustment for my battery and came in at 2698lbs.

I have roll bar, factory RSCS rear spoiler (Heavyish) and steel engine lid, carpet and sound deadening under driver and passenger seats, still have std bumper supports, and bumpers etc, steel hood and fenders.

I will be easily be able to get down to my goal weight of 2650lbs.....
Old 10-29-2013, 12:25 AM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, anyone has weight distribution numbers? I'm at 3000lb with a full tank of gas, but 61% of weight is in the back. I'm wondering if any of your lighter cars manage to shift the weight forward a bit also.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A quick update from me also. My lightweight project was sidetracked somewhat by a failed (stock) tierod. And you guys know what that means...dillema/upgrade opportunity. Down the slope we go. $7500 or so later I'm now running RS uprights, tierods, new RS sways (w/ new links and bushing) and solid side mounts (now at RS ride height as well).

Holy **** doesn't nearly cover it in terms of transformation. Everything is better, stronger, tighter, more stable under load, braking, lateral movement, etc. Unfortunately I didn't do the sways right away but when we rolled it out after the rest the old TRG bars were clunking around like crazy. I bit the bullet and we pulled it apart again and it was so worth it why didn't I do this 10 years ago?!

My car was previously at RS + 10mm and I was certain there was no bumpsteer. Wrong. So so so much better out front now.

As always Steve Weiner deserves a big thank you. Such an invaluable resource to us all! Once my wallet recovers and that will take time (two expensive alignments later...2nd one from the sways after the fact moved everything arrghhh!!) and project lightweight will have to wait for now.

The new stance.
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2013, 12:53 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
A quick update from me also. My lightweight project was sidetracked somewhat by a failed (stock) tierod. And you guys know what that means...dillema/upgrade opportunity. Down the slope we go. $7500 or so later I'm now running RS uprights, tierods, new RS sways (w/ new links and bushing) and solid side mounts (now at RS ride height as well).

Holy **** doesn't nearly cover it in terms of transformation. Everything is better, stronger, tighter, more stable under load, braking, lateral movement, etc. Unfortunately I didn't do the sways right away but when we rolled it out after the rest the old TRG bars were clunking around like crazy. I bit the bullet and we pulled it apart again and it was so worth it why didn't I do this 10 years ago?!

My car was previously at RS + 10mm and I was certain there was no bumpsteer. Wrong. So so so much better out front now.

As always Steve Weiner deserves a big thank you. Such an invaluable resource to us all! Once my wallet recovers and that will take time (two expensive alignments later...2nd one from the sways after the fact moved everything arrghhh!!) and project lightweight will have to wait for now.

The new stance.
congratulations. Nice pic from the Coronado races.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

I weighed mine on the weekend with Half a tank of gas and adjustment for my battery and came in at 2698lbs.

I have roll bar, factory RSCS rear spoiler (Heavyish) and steel engine lid, carpet and sound deadening under driver and passenger seats, still have std bumper supports, and bumpers etc, steel hood and fenders.
How the heck did you get your weight that down in the first place??
I lost most of the weight with everything you still seem to have ...

More detail please!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

My car weights about 2800 all in. I wish I had my A/C compressor back as the car is undriveable in Pennsylavannia hoy humid summers.

1995 93 RS Clubsport clone- carbon fiber hood, no hood shocks, no carpet up front, no spare tire, no windshield washer bottle, interior RS door panels, SPG Recaro seats, NO cruise control, Alpine CD radio, no sunblinds , Porsche SuperCup factory race streeing wheel, rear carpet and insulation stock, engine ANDIAL Dietre Inzenhofer 3.8liter 335HP NO A/C and Fabspeed headers and dual inlet dual outlet muffler, no Rear bumper support, No smog injector cold strat pump, BBS wheels,,,,,,,,,,,at last Club Race with 1/2 tank about 2850...........limit in class C stock 2790

no thin glass, stock doors with electric lifts, heavy rear Matter style chromemoly roll bar, rear RS Clubsport CUP Getty design rear spoiler.

Basically a heavy 993 3.8 CUP Car street registered in Pennsyl-Tucky
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist

Quick Reply: Project Lightweight