993 Forum 1995-1998

Major Audio Upgrade - LONG w/ Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Major Audio Upgrade - LONG w/ Lots of Pics

My 993 audio upgrade project (Tim had the interior practically down to the metal) is complete. Tim spent a lot of time ensuring the wiring was perfect (he doesn't do anything halfway and I can't say enough about the first rate quality of literally everything he does...incredible). The first thing we did was 86 the PO installed lo-jack and secondary alarm (looked like Helen Keller installed both)....the low jack was loose in the trunk with a battery literally duct taped to it while the alarm wiring looked about ready to burn the car to the ground.

I was initially going to do the Rod Birch "System" (I've heard nothing but praise for it) but there were two issues. I had to 8" subs in my previous 996's and the bass fell short IMO. And more importantly, I wasn't willing to give up both back seats. So....Tim built a custom fiberglass enclosure behind the driver's seat (no one was ever going to sit there) to accomodate a 10" JL Audio 10W3v3-4 300W Subwoofer (OMG the BASS). BTW we kept the template in case anyone wants a similiar setup.

The system is comprised of the single JL sub (no one is ever going to say "you need more bass"). Alpine ICE Power Amps 1 PDX4.150 (600 watt 4 channel 150 watts RMS each) driving MB Quart QSD216 6.5" Components (front) and MBQ QSD215 5.25" Components on the rear deck. A 2nd Amp PDX2.150 is bridged (300 watts RMS) to drive the sub. A note on ICE Power...Alpine licensed this ultra high efficiency technology from Bang & Olufsen and let me simply say they are incredible, VERY LIGHT, and totally exceed expectations. Learn more here http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/sw1022.asp & here http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...odel=PDX-4.150 We also installed an Alpine head unit (CDA-9857) with CD, XM Radio and full speed IPOD control. Double redundant 80AMP "Stinger" fuses were used to fully isolate the audio and core automotive systems. An independent failure will not affect the other. 4 & 8 gauge wiring and "Stinger" RCA's as well. With the Alpine amps ultra high efficiency (the deck is set to passive output) there is no concern about draw and no capacitor is necessary.

We're still fine tuning the crossovers and AMP's but overall it's an incredible upgrade and since this is my daily driver with frequent jaunts to LA and back, I'm very very happy (the car is very loud to begin with). Naturally Tim had to throw the car on the rack for a fresh alignment and corner balance to dial it back to...perfect?

Here are some pics.....

- Jordan
Attached Images                
Old 01-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

...a couple more
Attached Images   
Old 01-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn that looks sharp! I like the idea of your sub location, since I have my seat all the way back no one would ride there in mine either.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:33 AM
ce_hensley
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets see the rear speakers...
Old 01-21-2007, 04:01 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

nice setup. I love your wheels!!
Old 01-21-2007, 04:39 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Extra points for throwing The Smiths onto your boomin system!
Old 01-21-2007, 05:20 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the idea for the sub, best I've ever seen
Chris
Old 01-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Very Nice clean set up!!
Also love the look of your grand prix white 993 on those Kinesis
Old 01-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Very nice install. How did you secure the amp rack?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:42 AM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good Jordan! Thanks for posting your install info and the links. One of my winter projects is a new audio system in my car. I picked up an Alpine DVA9860 from another Rennlist member as my head unit and just need to get going on the rest of the setup.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:12 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Looks great!! I kept my XM antenna inside, dead center between the 2 rear speakers. The reason I did it was to avoid any vandals or paint scrapes.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Boosted330
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i had the same exact idea for my car! im definitely interested in that template you have!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Default Rear Speakers

Originally Posted by ce_hensley
Lets see the rear speakers...
Thanks everyone....I love my 993. (unbelievable catch on the Smith's as well!). Here are a few shots of the components on the rear deck. As you can see, we could have taken extra time to cover the slight indents around the old speakers but it's barely noticeable and the speakers fit perfectly in the old locations. Another interesting note, the MB Quart's are ultra low profile designed to fit in this very type of application without the need to add spacers to accomodate depth. BUT I can tell you the titanium domed tweeters are VERY bright. Thankfully the crossovers allow you to dial them back up to -6db which we ultimately did and now the system is very well balanced and strong (The Alpine AMPS are incredible). FYI, the AMPS are mounted (see photos above) on the wood backing bracketed to the gas tank frame protected/shielded by high density rubber surrounds. They are rock solid. That said, I've hear very good things about Focal speakers (and Hertz from Rod Birch) both of which I'd be inclined to try.

As for the sub enclosure....this is a piece that according to Tim can only be duplicated and fit to a car that is actually in the shop unless the recipient is potentially prepared for additional work and/or shaping which isn't ideal to Mind. Mind is not an authorized audio shop of course and typically does these one off's on a project by project basis and would likely do another complete system only with customer supplied audio components.

- Jordan
Attached Images   
Old 01-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice setup. Looking for a new headunit here. Prefer the look of the old Nak decks but need to research more on what a good headunit would be. The old Eclipse isn't picking up radio stations too well these days. Probably gonna lose the amps as well as they're too freaking heavy.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Acropora
Nice setup. Looking for a new headunit here. Prefer the look of the old Nak decks but need to research more on what a good headunit would be. The old Eclipse isn't picking up radio stations too well these days. Probably gonna lose the amps as well as they're too freaking heavy.
I'm loving the Alpine unit. More than one high end shop I spoke with said don't go Nak...the Alpine unit was WAY less than $400 list at www.onlinecarstereo.com easily a very good value with XM and full speed IPOD controls to boot. I practically took air off a bad bump yesterday and still can't make the disc skip....nice.

Quick Reply: Major Audio Upgrade - LONG w/ Lots of Pics