993 Forum 1995-1998

Project Lightweight

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
My car weights about 2800 all in. I wish I had my A/C compressor back as the car is undriveable in Pennsylavannia hoy humid summers.

1995 93 RS Clubsport clone- carbon fiber hood, no hood shocks, no carpet up front, no spare tire, no windshield washer bottle, interior RS door panels, SPG Recaro seats, NO cruise control, Alpine CD radio, no sunblinds , Porsche SuperCup factory race streeing wheel, rear carpet and insulation stock, engine ANDIAL Dietre Inzenhofer 3.8liter 335HP NO A/C and Fabspeed headers and dual inlet dual outlet muffler, no Rear bumper support, No smog injector cold strat pump, BBS wheels,,,,,,,,,,,at last Club Race with 1/2 tank about 2850...........limit in class C stock 2790

no thin glass, stock doors with electric lifts, heavy rear Matter style chromemoly roll bar, rear RS Clubsport CUP Getty design rear spoiler.

Basically a heavy 993 3.8 CUP Car street registered in Pennsyl-Tucky
Joe - sounds like a beast! Tell us more about that 3.8 motor. Andial is of course gone but would you mind commenting on the full specs and what one might budget for such a thing?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:19 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
My car was previously at RS + 10mm and I was certain there was no bumpsteer. Wrong. So so so much better out front now.

The new stance.
So cool... The car looks fantastic.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:21 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger3.2
How the heck did you get your weight that down in the first place??
I lost most of the weight with everything you still seem to have ...

More detail please!
My car was a relatively low optioned car in the first place, it had 8 way electric sport seats and HiFi Stereo and that is it.

OK here goes, I think this is the bulk of it:

Removed:
Seats replaced with Carbon Kevlar OMP's, no sliders.
Rear parcel shelf and speakers, and sound deadening (replaced with RS style carpet)
Door panels removed and replaced with RS Door panels, no speakers
Air bag, Lower dash panel, stereo, replaced with rennline dash and perforated covers
Air Bag steering wheel replaced with OMP Wheel
OEM Battery removed replaced with 4lb Lithium Battery
Spare tire and carpet removed from front trunk
Power steering pump and all lines replaced with Electric PS in front trunk
Heater system and blower removed, including heat shield, and aluminum crossover pipe.
OE exhaust system removed, replaced with Fabspeed headers and custom center out muffler (Muffler weighs 8lb)
Full a/c removed
LWF, Air Box and MAF removed
Cruise control and control module
Air bag control module
Electric spoiler replaced with RSCS wing
Fog lights

Added back:
DasSport roll bar
Second oil cooler

Still to remove/do:
Sun Roof and mechanism
Bumper Shocks
Swiss cheese job on bumper reinforcements
Carbon Fibre Hood
Carbon Fibre engine lid
Old 10-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

The RS door glass only saves 6.25 pounds and the manual windows only save 3.2 pounds total for both doors. I have both and weighed the parts.

I have not weighed my RS rear glass yet.

One thing besides a roll bar that adds weight is bigger brakes, RS discs and calipers are around 15 pounds heavier than stock 993, and RS front brakes are around 8 pounds heavier as I recall.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 167 Posts

Just let me think loud...

you with half tank 2698 lbs, me on reserve about 2651. Half tank about 25 kg = 55lbs, means 'you 2643 means .... m/l equality.

Seats replaced with Carbon Kevlar OMP's, no sliders. --- same but only one Cobra 17lbs
Rear parcel shelf and speakers, and sound deadening (replaced with RS style carpet) --- complete gone incl. rear seats
Door panels removed and replaced with RS Door panels, no speakers --- same
Air bag, Lower dash panel, stereo, replaced with rennline dash and perforated covers --- same
Air Bag steering wheel replaced with OMP Wheel --- same exc. Momo
OEM Battery removed replaced with 4lb Lithium Battery --- im bad still stock ...
Spare tire and carpet removed from front trunk --- same
Power steering pump and all lines replaced with Electric PS in front trunk --- still stock
Heater system and blower removed, including heat shield, and aluminum crossover pipe. --- same
OE exhaust system removed, replaced with Fabspeed headers and custom center out muffler (Muffler weighs 8lb) --- FS Supercups about 5lbs each.
Full a/c removed --- same
LWF, Air Box and MAF removed --- same
Cruise control and control module --- still stock
Air bag control module --- still in
Electric spoiler replaced with RSCS wing --- MShaw Ducktail
Fog lights --- gone

looking at above, i don't get why my one is not much less than yours coz i have additional hood, fender, ducktail from glass fiber which brings a lot of w.loss ( > 50lbs) and also all inner cover gone, 'light' wheels and rims as also a lighter suspension ...
sometimes ...
ok more to think(er) about

next target is the evaporator / heater / blower unit in front; rear bumper bar; sunroof ...
lets see where we end up :P
Old 10-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I had seveal East Coast famous engine builders build my 993 engine. The last one really messd it up and I shipped the entire godamn car to AMDIAL back in 2001.

They pulled all the oil coolers, lines and everything and ulta sonically cleaned everthing.

Next had to buy a new crankshaft as the original one was ruined. The stock crank was micropolished, bought new Mahle 3.8 CU style pistons and cylinder that required boring the base, the case was boattailed and shuffle pinned and everything balanced and the oil pump was blueprinted, Carillo rods, heads were flow bench matched wit bigger 993RS valves with 5 angle alve job and intake plenums cleaned up inside and put all back together with precision and NO DAMN DIRT ad no lame excuses.

You are talking about $20-25K to do all f the above. I already had a 3.8 and was GUNG HO club racing and doing any DE events but needed a reliable engine transmission package. Een my trans wa rebuilt as the LTD slip as worn out.

This was back in 2001. In retrospect I would not have spent all th money a new 996GT3 and other 4 valve cars still have a 80 to 100HP advantage over the air cooled cars and its got a lot worse when 997GT3 cars have easily 100+ and much better suspensions and rubber and the watercooled egines do not heat soak and have power drop offs like air cooled engines.
It was a great experience and a lot of fun and I own 3 air cooled cars and looking for more.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 10-29-2013, 03:41 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doors

Originally Posted by NP993
Aluminum doors don't save 80 pounds. A bare steel 911 door shell is pretty light -- the comparable aluminum door shell only saves a few pounds per side. What saves weight in the doors is removing speakers, replacing stock door panels/pulls with RS, and removing sound deadening and electric windows. And all of that can be done with steel doors.
Originally Posted by sonny1
Really? well I have a pair which I'm going to weight and post the results, I will take the measurements with all the motors and frames on it and without the inner panels, I will do the same with a pair of stock doors,with all the motors and frames and without the inner panels, lets see what happens,I'll post the results,
cheers, Sonny1.
Originally Posted by geolab
I do not know if mentioned before, due to my pc behind the chinese wall at work, but
I think the heaviest in a 993 door is the sound deadening sheet, the handles, the mechanical mechanism inside the door for open close, the metal structure inside mirror, the electric glass motor and of course the glass.
The rest is peanuts and the harness is nothing.
There is one thing that is pretty heavy and easily replaceable, is the under-carriage middle cache. The cover that goes from gearbox to front, next to fuel pump.
I saw a carbon one once

It would be very interesting to know what going from steel to aluminum doors saves in weight. I mean just the door skin material difference as all the other mods can be done both to steel doors and aluminum doors. Seems there are conflicting arguments here.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

The density of aluminum is roughly 35% of steel, so if anyone has the weight of a steel door multiply X 0.35 for weight of aluminum - assuming same thickness of material. Also the guard beam is always steel so must make sure both doors are with or without this in comparison.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:50 PM
sonny1
Banned

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The density of aluminum is roughly 35% of steel, so if anyone has the weight of a steel door multiply X 0.35 for weight of aluminum - assuming same thickness of material. Also the guard beam is always steel so must make sure both doors are with or without this in comparison.
Not so, in the OEM GT2 alu door, the beam is alu., also the reason mostly for me on using alu doors other weight, is that I hate plastic! Athou I did not weighted the doors when I have them out, I could lift them with my "pingy" littlle hand finger! cheers,
Old 10-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Not so, in the OEM GT2 alu door, the beam is alu., also the reason mostly for me on using alu doors other weight, is that I hate plastic! cheers. Athou I did not weighted the doors when I have them out, I could lift them with my "pingy" littlle hand finger! cheers,
Interesting, for the Cup cars they simply eliminated the beam.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:58 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger3.2
Just let me think loud...

looking at above, i don't get why my one is not much less than yours coz i have additional hood, fender, ducktail from glass fiber which brings a lot of w.loss ( > 50lbs) and also all inner cover gone, 'light' wheels and rims as also a lighter suspension ...
sometimes ...
ok more to think(er) about

next target is the evaporator / heater / blower unit in front; rear bumper bar; sunroof ...
lets see where we end up :P
From a suspension standpoint I have KW Clubsports, ERP and Tarrett Links in the rear, Solid side mounts, monoballs in rear a-arms, TRG Swaybars, RS front uprights.

I forgot about then engine sound pad before

Brakes are bigger that TT but lighter by a couple of pounds per corner.

Maybe when the cars were built, Helmut was a little heavy handed with your car when he was applying the seam sealer and rubberised coating on the underside of the chassis

Lets keep the Lightweight discussion alive... Sorry OP for the partial hijack.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 349 Posts

The RS door glass only saves 6.25 pounds and the manual windows only save 3.2 pounds total for both doors. I have both and weighed the parts.

I have not weighed my RS rear glass yet.

One thing besides a roll bar that adds weight is bigger brakes, RS discs and calipers are around 15 pounds heavier than stock 993, and RS front brakes are around 8 pounds heavier as I recall.
Actual weights on a good poatal scale
993 front 304x32, 1 piece rotor 16#
993tt 322x32, 2 piece hat/rotor 20.5#
Girodisk 2 piece, al hat, floating 322x32 18.20#

993 299x24 rear 12#
993RS/tt 322x28 rear 20.5#

993 front caliper w/ pads 9.9#
993RS front caliper w/ pads 11.2#
993 rear caliper w/pads 7.6#
993RS rear caliper w/ pads 10.8#

993RS total front 31.70 29.4# w/ Girodisk
993RS total rear 29.00

993 total front 25.90
993 total rear 19.70
Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Actual weights on a good poatal scale...

...993RS/tt 322x28 rear 20.5#...

...993RS rear caliper w/ pads 10.8#...

...993RS total rear 29.00
Bill - Not to put too fine a point to it, FWIW the RS rear sums to 31.3 pounds, not 29 pounds .
Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 349 Posts

Bill - Not to put too fine a point to it, FWIW the RS rear sums to 31.3 pounds, not 29 pounds .
My bad, there were a couple of errors, here's the correction(I think)
993 n/a front caliper w/o pad 7.50
993 n/a front pad I&O 2.40
993 n/a rear caliper w/o pad 6.00
993 n/a rear pad I&O 1.70
front 993 304x32 16.00
rear 993 299x24 12.00
rear 993RS 322x28 18.20
front 993tt 322x32 20.50
front 964RS 322x32 20.60 ????
Giro disk 322x32 18.20
Brembo 330x 14.00
4x12mmx77mm caliper bolts 0.75
Big Red caliper 8.30
RS front pads 2.70
993RS caliper 8.00
RS rear pads 2.40
993tt (wet) 8.25
911rear rotor 13.10
911 front rotor 10.75

993RS total front 31.50 29.20 w/ G disk
993RS total rear 28.60

993 total front 25.90
993 total rear 19.70
Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 AM
V
Drifting

Not so, in the OEM GT2 alu door, the beam is alu., also the reason mostly for me on using alu doors other weight, is that I hate plastic! Athou I did not weighted the doors when I have them out, I could lift them with my "pingy" littlle hand finger! cheers,
Interesting. How much are we talking about here in weight difference between the two? As a reference I have the alu hood and it's significantly lighter than the steel hood.

I totally agree with Sonny1, the reason for me wanting alu is that I don't like plastic. Otherwise CF is a no brainer.

Quick Reply: Project Lightweight