Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How "anal" are you with respect to keeping the 993 clean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How "****" are you with respect to keeping the 993 clean?

I'm guilty of washing the car every time significant dirt appears on the rear lower quarter panel (behind the rear wheels) which in Seattle (lots of rain) means about twice/week. Wash it by hand with warm water and a chamois. Very careful to keep re-dipping the chamois into the water to "wash out" any dirt from it in order to not scratch the paint.

In addition, I do a coat of wax at least once/month. In warmer weather, probably about every 2 weeks.

My 18 year old paint is very lusterous. (dark blue color). No swirl marks, and because I hand buff out the wax changing the towel often, I've not worn out any of the paint on the body in spite of probably over 125 waxes in the 6 years I've owned it.

As to the wax, I had the car professionally detailed about 2 years ago. They air-brushed all the paint zits on the front end, and also applied (I think 3M) a thin clear plastic coating to the front end and front fenders. They did the full 9 yard treatment (claybar'ed the car, then wax - I saw them using an orbital buffer on the wax).

I use NuFinish. I was given a very expensive British wax product by the detailer - but frankly, I did not see any difference. After either the British product or NuFinish, the water stops its very fine water beading after about 30 days. And no difference in the luster after the wax job. The British product costs over $50 for a little jar (supposed to be good for 15 or 20 waxes). A container of NuFinish (about $8) also does about 20 waxes. I also find it much easier to buff off the NuFinish once it "hazes up". I can do a wash and wax in under 40 minutes (cabriolet - nothing done to the top - other than applying Scotchgard every few months) so it gets done very quickly.

With either wax, if there is any humidity at all, the wax can't be properly buffed out. There are always residual deep swirls. They can only be hand buffed out once the air drys out. Today, for example, sunny and about 50d F this PM. I don't even try when it is humid at all out.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 277 Posts

I don't consider myself **** anymore. It's serious illness at this point
Old 03-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

wash maybe 5 or 6 times a year.
waxed once or twice
quick detailed when necessary.

nufinish is one of the worst products i've ever used fwiw
Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Depends, tree sap and bird poop gets cleaned immediately. If I am not going anywhere, I'll let the dust kind of build up, bu then ill dust it before I hit the road, definitely wash and wax if the wife and I are going out, or if getting together with Rennlisters.
I like it clean,,but I am probably not as committed as some others.

I was worse when I first got the car.

Klasse products seem to maintain the shine better than anything else I have used.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

I like it to be clean...sure. Nothing better, more satisfying than seeing the looks of folks when I strap a muddy bike to the roof rack. I love the car, but I use it.

The real world is dirty, and that's where I like to go with it.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

I enjoy cleaning, but I only do it about four to six times per year. I have to say I love a dirty girl!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dirty???........993's get dirty? huh....... go figure
I've seen mine with road dust on it but never dirty
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Don't wash it as much any more but still keep it clean. I have learned that even too many washes, no matter how gentle, affects the paint, so I leave it alone a little more than I used to. Interior is always spotless though.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:38 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

I keep it cleaner in the warm months than the cold, but given a choice between washing it and driving it, I'll drive it every time.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

My car is always dirty on the outside. Very very dirty. So much so that I sometimes wonder why I don't wash it. The most important thing for me is that I address and stay on top of all mechanical issues and oil/fluid leaks on the underside of the car. That is something that actually bothers me. If I have a 993 that looks rugged but is going strong under the skin then I am very happy.

That being said,I try to keep the inside cleanish. I don't use any products on the dash or plastic parts because I don't care for how they make the interior really shiny. Also, I don't like trash or stuff inside the car. It bums me out.

--Michael
Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Last 6.5 years - with few exceptions:

Wash once per week
Wax twice per year
Clay once per year

All Griot's products

Drive it every day - rain or shine.
Garage at home; garage at the office

Weekly washing ritual is as much about keeping the car clean as it is having quality head-clearing down time.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

I generally believe that the less times I touch the car with water the better so I have probably only washed the car with water and a bucket once or twice ever. I only drive it when the weather is nice, kept inside with a cover, and always wiped down after each use with a quick detailer. I use LOTS of quick detailer. If you never let it get really dirty it's a breeze to keep clean. Takes less than five minutes to wipe down after a use. Clay, polish, wax maybe once a year if that. I always get compliments and HATE swirl marks!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the reasons that I concours my car is it forces me to keep the car in an exceptionally clean state. It might get dirty from time to time but I know 4-5 times a year it has a deep cleaning. Each prep is approx 12-15hrs of work but its totally worth it
Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wash it while I drive, to make sure it doesn't get dirty.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:58 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: How "anal" are you with respect to keeping the 993 clean?