Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How "anal" are you with respect to keeping the 993 clean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Probably strapping the snowboard to the roof, and head up the hill on Friday. Will it be dirty enough to justify a wash it over the weekend???

(If the cars could talk, what would it be like to line up the ~150K milers with the ~50K (or fewer) milers, turn out the lights in the lot/warehouse and come back the next day?)
I have been following this discussion with interest. I have been a "drive every day in all conditions and wash seldom" kind of 911 owner since I got mine in June. I have put 10,000 miles on it and washed it twice.

Everyone comes at the ownership thing with a slightly different approach and philosophy. I have wanted to own this car since I got interested in German cars when I bought my first VW 14 years ago. Before that, I just wasn't that into cars because I had no money and was in a band and could barely pay rent and eat.

Since I now have a few bucks lying around, I love that I can own and drive the 993 every day. I am just not a collector who has multiple cars so I don't spend much time worrying about resale value and keeping up appearances.

I just relish driving the car. I love how the car looks regardless of how clean it is. It is such a beautiful form and functional design. I feel connected to it when I fold myself in every morning even if the drive is mundane over terrible pavement surrounded by distracted drivers. It feels special to own this car.

On the other hand, I would rather work on the car than clean it any day of the week. Cleaning it just makes it stand out more in the city which brings unwanted attention, covetous curiosity, thieving interest and vandalism.

I remember being so impressed by my friend's dad's old 911 as a kid. It was worn looking, the interior was kind of tattered, it smelled like oil, it was loud and it looked well used. That is something that stuck with me. Those experiences as a kid are pretty influential.

Dirty or clean, show car or go car, this is my favorite car I have ever owned.

--Michael
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdelvalle
I drive the 993 about thirty miles every two to three months. The rest of the time it is comfortably resting in an A/C garage. Every time it goes out it gets a two hour clean job. I love to see that baby sparkle clean. I wax it every three months with Zymol Concours Glaze.
sad, poor car.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:15 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
I'm guilty of washing the car every time significant dirt appears on the rear lower quarter panel (behind the rear wheels) which in Seattle (lots of rain) means about twice/week. Wash it by hand with warm water and a chamois. Very careful to keep re-dipping the chamois into the water to "wash out" any dirt from it in order to not scratch the paint.

In addition, I do a coat of wax at least once/month. In warmer weather, probably about every 2 weeks.

I wash my car every 3 days / 3 weeks / 3 months depending on life.
You are "crazy" IMO.

Craig
Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
+1 on all of this especially the Concours stuff. Always cracks me up someone buys a brand new car and drives it right to the Concours and gets 1st place....
Missed this until the other comment. No way, no how does a new car come anywhere near winning in anything but a casual "shine and show" event.

Sadly, I do have concours experience in my resume via my good friends who were multiple event and annual Zone 8 winners in FULL concours (read: underbody and everything) with............a 924?!?!? Yep, a new 924 bought in '80, pretty much disassembled, and driven all around AZ/So Cal through the '80s piling up the trophies. Was hilarious for them to out-point (granted, some points were from driving 2-300 miles) the mega-restored 356 crowd. For extra kicks, it was their DE/time trial and autocross car for a couple of years until they got a 914. Which became a "6", and was also concoursed.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

I drive the 993 about thirty miles every two to three months. The rest of the time it is comfortably resting in an A/C garage. Every time it goes out it gets a two hour clean job. I love to see that baby sparkle clean. I wax it every three months with Zymol Concours Glaze.

nice car
you and I have significantly differing philosophies regarding 993 use.
to each their own.
but my way is better
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think?

Nothing like peeling off the cover and having it in 'show-room' condition....
Attached Images    
Old 03-04-2013, 10:29 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

I originally posted my questions to you all simply as a point of interest (to me). In fact, every one of you has missed the clear unarguable economic issue of regular washes/waxes.

With a fresh coat of wax, the coefficient of friction of the car decreases by approx. .001%. At 60 mph or so, that translates to an improvement of approx. .001% which at $4/gallon and 18 mpg and 8000 miles/year, results in a savings of approx. $2.50/year. At my current billable hourly rate of $150/hour, that is just under .02 hours of labor/year. So this puts a premium on how much labor one should be willing to put into keeping the car clean and waxed. As my technique, (5 minutes/wash, 35 min/wax) is probably one of the more efficient ones (vs. those of you who posed an unbelievable 12 hours (!) to go over the car once), I assert I am one of the only sane ones posting in response to this question. Those of you who don't wash/wax at all, are a bit more cost effective than me, but I still win when it comes re-sale time. The freshness of the paint translates to at least a couple hundred $/car.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Guess I am in the dubious class of being able to say: I've never cleaned my car. Well, properly at least.

I should add that I've only owned her a little over a month and don't really count the quick hose off at the local car wash.

But,

That said,

Now that my 1st oil change and brake job are complete (by yours truly , no less), the detail is firmly within my sights. Weather is 60's and sunny for the next few days in Plano Texas and I have amassed enough detailing supplies to start my own detail shop I think!

Can't wait. Now just need to x out a few hours in my schedule...
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:21 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
I originally posted my questions to you all simply as a point of interest (to me). In fact, every one of you has missed the clear unarguable economic issue of regular washes/waxes.

With a fresh coat of wax, the coefficient of friction of the car decreases by approx. .001%. At 60 mph or so, that translates to an improvement of approx. .001% which at $4/gallon and 18 mpg and 8000 miles/year, results in a savings of approx. $2.50/year. At my current billable hourly rate of $150/hour, that is just under .02 hours of labor/year. So this puts a premium on how much labor one should be willing to put into keeping the car clean and waxed. As my technique, (5 minutes/wash, 35 min/wax) is probably one of the more efficient ones (vs. those of you who posed an unbelievable 12 hours (!) to go over the car once), I assert I am one of the only sane ones posting in response to this question. Those of you who don't wash/wax at all, are a bit more cost effective than me, but I still win when it comes re-sale time. The freshness of the paint translates to at least a couple hundred $/car.
...you can't be serious
Old 03-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
sad, poor car.
Do tell us how a car can be sad especially since you were the one who expressed incredulity at people naming their cars.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Do tell us how a car can be sad especially since you were the one who expressed incredulity at people naming their cars.
no dullard, the car is not sad. I think its sad that someone owns what is a nice driving car, and doesn't drive it. Even a 993 cab is a nice car for a summer evening drive of more than 30 miles.

Poor car means that the mechanical bits are probably not benefitting from such meager use.

perhaps the true issue here is my grammar.

It should read:

Sad. Poor car.

my apologies for the confusion
Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
no dullard, the car is not sad. I think its sad that someone owns what is a nice driving car, and doesn't drive it. Even a 993 cab is a nice car for a summer evening drive of more than 30 miles.

Poor car means that the mechanical bits are probably not benefitting from such meager use.

perhaps the true issue here is my grammar.

It should read:

Sad. Poor car.

my apologies for the confusion
Now you're worried about "mechanical bits" and calling the car poor? Next thing you know, you'll be naming your car. Should you doubt this, remember that you posted on more than one occasion about how you couldn't see the benefits of membership, and now...you're a member.

Dullard, indeed.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Not intending to poke fun at you but let's see....

If you drive it 30 miles every three months = 120 miles/ year
You wax it every three months = 4x / yr
That equates to waxing the car every thirty miles you drive it.
That's an awful lot of waxing / mile.

My Midnight blue coupe gets washed after almost every drive as putting a cover on a dirty car is not a good idea.

The silver cab is much more forgiving when dusty/dirty.

Regards,

Last edited by Cemoto; 03-05-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Dukerdog
Racer

I'm probably washing it too much because my neighbor told me to stop rubbing my car, it's starting to get weird
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Now you're worried about "mechanical bits" and calling the car poor? Next thing you know, you'll be naming your car. Should you doubt this, remember that you posted on more than one occasion about how you couldn't see the benefits of membership, and now...you're a member.

Dullard, indeed.
am I worried about them? no, its his car, he can not use it to its own detriment. Poor car, well, you're right. Its just a bloody piece of metal, so I shouldn't feel badly for it.

As for membership, although I owe you no explanation, another member gifted me a two year membership.

Quick Reply: How "anal" are you with respect to keeping the 993 clean?