Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How "anal" are you with respect to keeping the 993 clean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
explain this to me, cause I've never really understood. Washing a car is a brutal, annoying, and unpleasant experience. Then you have to dry it. Then you have to clean up the drips, streaks, etc.

Can you explain what you find enjoyable about it?

another thing that needs some explanation. 15 hours of work to park on someone's lawn, just to lose points for having a spec of dust in an air vent and "excess grease" on a hinge. Seeing people spend so much time cleaning a piece of metal only to be disappointed when they get a 91 or whatever seems like a silly exercise to me.
+1 on all of this especially the Concours stuff. Always cracks me up someone buys a brand new car and drives it right to the Concours and gets 1st place....
Old 03-04-2013, 01:31 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Drive the car 4 or 5 days a week, don't wash it much, two or three times a year. I keep a bottle of Kodak Photoflo wetting agent in a spray bottle and when it rains I give it a once over with the wetting agent and let it rain! Seems to work well except for the exaust carbon residue that clings to the rear bumper. I hose that off once in a while.

The again my previous 1986 never got washed. My wife drove it to work every day in Cleveland, Ohio. With the salt roads, snow tires and Midwest grime what was the point?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:00 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
explain this to me, cause I've never really understood. Washing a car is a brutal, annoying, and unpleasant experience. Then you have to dry it. Then you have to clean up the drips, streaks, etc.
I try to wash as little as possible. Wash only when it's dirty enough that it starts bothering me.

I find washing (anything) is kind of therapeutic to me as well. boats cars... Music, sun and warm temperatures are required. if I'm pressed for time, or cold, it's exactly the brutal annoying experience you describe.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
I try to wash as little as possible. Wash only when it's dirty enough that it starts bothering me.

I find washing (anything) is kind of therapeutic to me as well. boats cars... Music, sun and warm temperatures are required. if I'm pressed for time, or cold, it's exactly the brutal annoying experience you describe.
yeah, but then you're a weirdo
Old 03-04-2013, 02:38 PM
cajunboy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drove my car every weekend and i wash it every other week. I love driving a clean car. Its a sickness but i feel like its bonding time whenever i work on the porsche.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:22 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 189 Posts

Addressing those who like the car clean or even spotless, how would you react to the following situation:

Just washed/clayed/rinsed/wax your car to perfection, and out on a Sat morning drive. While you're enjoying the breeze in some 55 mph suburban 'Pkwy', you notice 500ft ahead the local city officials have turned the fire hose on, presumbly doing some equip testing. The road ahead is wet, putting it mildly. Cars next to you are zooming by at 50-60 mph.

What would you do?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:32 PM
cajunboy
Intermediate

i would drive through it like normal. when i get home, depend how dirty my car is, either wash it or spray quick detailer and wipe it down.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:11 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdude
Addressing those who like the car clean or even spotless, how would you react to the following situation:

Just washed/clayed/rinsed/wax your car to perfection, and out on a Sat morning drive. While you're enjoying the breeze in some 55 mph suburban 'Pkwy', you notice 500ft ahead the local city officials have turned the fire hose on, presumbly doing some equip testing. The road ahead is wet, putting it mildly. Cars next to you are zooming by at 50-60 mph.

What would you do?
Hit it @ 120 mph and when I get home wipe the car down and not bother trying to wipe off the off my face .

Cheers Guy
Old 03-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude

What would you do?
firmly press the skinny pedal on the right as far down as it can go.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Washed 2 times in 5 years, garage queen, sunny weekend drives only, no rain. Detail spray after every drive. I know, DRIVE IT.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably strapping the snowboard to the roof, and head up the hill on Friday. Will it be dirty enough to justify a wash it over the weekend???

(If the cars could talk, what would it be like to line up the ~150K milers with the ~50K (or fewer) milers, turn out the lights in the lot/warehouse and come back the next day?)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I try to think of my 993 as being a really well built, good handling, fast car, rather than being a "Porsche". Then I don't feel guilty about not washing it more often.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I drive the 993 about thirty miles every two to three months. The rest of the time it is comfortably resting in an A/C garage. Every time it goes out it gets a two hour clean job. I love to see that baby sparkle clean. I wax it every three months with Zymol Concours Glaze.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
+1 on all of this especially the Concours stuff. Always cracks me up someone buys a brand new car and drives it right to the Concours and gets 1st place....
+993
Old 03-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Jeff U
Instructor

Mine is a daily driver but I wash it all the time. Fortunately I have another car so while I drive the 993 year round I do try and avoid snow, slop, and salt.

I end up washing it about once per week. As long as temps are above freezing I will keep it clean. My neighbors think I'm nuts...

I will wax it every few months and twice (maybe three times) per year will breakout the polisher to eliminate swirl marks.

I just love having it shiny and find a sick sense of enjoyment in chasing away dirt, dust, and swirls.

This weekend it was in the low 40's:

Quick Reply: How "anal" are you with respect to keeping the 993 clean?