Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Was turbo front bumper ever a C2 option?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:19 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo bumper cover has never been used on a NB from the factory. You can bang your head all you want. It is that simple.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:11 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Turbo bumper cover has never been used on a NB from the factory. You can bang your head all you want. It is that simple.
Unless factory specced with the turbo aero kit?..................
Old 07-09-2011, 09:37 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CalvinC4S

A photo of what you believe is a turbo bumper cover will be very helpful.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:49 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

this is a funny thread...

I am staring at my 993 accessory manual right now that shows the front turbo bumper as a dealer installed accessory option. Calvin C4S, since the widebody cars already came with it, why would it be a dealer installed accessory option for those cars that already have it only? Makes no sense. I am too lazy to scan this thing at the moment, maybe I will take a photo and post...
Old 07-09-2011, 03:37 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

I worked for the dealer for the entire run of 993's.

The dealer can install anything that makes a profit. Paint protection, etched VIN, wings, aftermarket wheels; I even installed a super charger on an unsold new boxster.

The point is that the NB cars did not come with turbo bumpers.

I think some of you guys are clinging to a poorly translated document or you consider dealer alterations as being factory original, which they are not.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:38 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

I worked for the dealer for the entire run of 993's.

The dealer can install anything that makes a profit. Paint protection, etched VIN, wings, aftermarket wheels; I even installed a super charger on an unsold new boxster.

The point is that the NB cars did not come with turbo bumpers.

I think some of you guys are clinging to a poorly translated document or you consider dealer alterations as being factory original, which they are not.
going to call you out on this...and then eat crow if I am wrong... as I should

No disrespect for your time at the dealer, and for sure no one is arguing that narrow body cars were delivered with front turbo bumpers. But this is an awfully expensive piece of marketing material in my hands- Porsche hard back book, color photos, text about dealer installed accessory options, etc. - to not offer it. I will take a picture tonight and post it. It says that it is a dealer installed option on any 993. Is the Porsche book wrong? Maybe. I have no first hand knowledge/experience other than this book.

If your argument is that dealer installed period correct OEM aerokit stuff is not the same as Porsche putting it on the car at the factory, well then, I can respect that argument, but that is a different debate. I thought the question here was whether or not I could pull into a dealer in 95-98 in my 993 and purchase and have dealer install a turbo front bumper. I strongly believe that the answer to that is yes, at least based on what I am reading here...
Old 07-09-2011, 05:55 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

The following would seem to be both logical and likely based on information here, published literature, as well as seeing 993s built at the factory and countless new 993s at the factory and various dealers in Europe, Canada, and the US when they were new:

1. Turbo bumper was not available as an installed on the production line option on Narrow Bodied cars from the factory.
2. Turbo Bumper was available as a dealer installed option for Narrow Bodied cars.
3. I would bet that at some point a Narrow Bodied car was ordered through the "Exclusive Program" with said Turbo bumper and had it installed @ Werks 1 after leaving the regular production line. This to me would qualify as "factory installed".
Old 07-09-2011, 09:16 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

We are lost in the terms of factory option vs. dealer modification.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:27 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

We are lost in the terms of factory option vs. dealer modification.
ok, that is fair. The turbo front bumper (or the split grille I have on my car for that matter) was not a factory option for a narrow body car. However, many OEM order options, like litronics, aerokits, grills, wheels, etc. were aggressively marketed, sold, and installed at dealers post-sale. I would draw a distinction between these OEM warrantied items, and the implications you make for superchargers and other non-OEM, non-vehicle correct stuff. I have done a fair amount of work for PCNA as a client and I can confirm what many here already know that they are highly motivated to sell OEM options/accesories and install at the dealer. Great profit in that stuff post-sale. Anyone that has every bought any accessory at a dealer has experienced this first hand.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:12 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

PCNA had a Tek equipment program where they offered points to the parts department.

Guys got trips and big screen TV’s. It was such a mess that the parts department blew the budget on mods and we had to order common replacement parts delaying repairs.

It wasn't just OEM Tek stuff. They had a wall of Kenisis/bbs/Gemballa wheels, H&R spring kits, etc... It was slippery slope heaven
Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CalvinC4S

Further upon what you said - that the dealer install what he likes and that the Turbo bumper cover has never been used on a NB from the factory - therefore, by implication, any turbo front bumper and/or split grille bumper now on a NB must have been an after thought. If that were the case how did the dealer print the codes on the under hood label of a NB?

My Aero Kit II is listed on my C o A, if it was dealer installed how was that done?

As we are not getting photographs - is the NB turbo front bumper the same as NB split grille?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:22 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

The factory did indeed install aero kits.

Aero kits where a wing, rocker in some cases and a chin spoiler.

The aero kit on your car may have been changed up after the fact. I can assure you that it did not include a turbo bumper cover.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:42 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

x50type, a turbo front bumper is the same whether for a NB or WB. It has a large "grill" opening with two smaller ones on either side. A NB bumper cover has only a single large opening.

Your car has a NB front bumper with a front spoiler made up of two splitters, one on either side, as part of an Aero Kit XX, which we have not been able to determine with certainty or at least agree upon.

That's my understanding, but maybe CalvinC4S has a different understanding from working at the dealer.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

turbo front bumper:
Old 07-09-2011, 11:03 PM
dpowell
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the two bumpers. Turbo and Non-turbo respectfully.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  131.8 KB

Turbo

Name:  Non Turbo.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  114.3 KB

Non-Turbo

Quick Reply: Was turbo front bumper ever a C2 option?