993 Forum 1995-1998

1995 Riviera blue coupe for sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

The 5-gallon kerosene container in my shop is pretty damn close to Riviera Blue. I just noticed that.

Andreas
Old 04-07-2011, 03:19 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
I'm a bit confused about RL etiquette:

If someone posts their own car for sale in the 993 forum (which should really be for technical discussions), it's not acceptable to comment on the price and criticize the car. However if a RL'r posts someone else's car on RL, then it's OK to do these things. Am I the only one questioning this inconsistency?
yup.

The forum is open to all forms of discussion even on the pricing of members selling their car..... favourable or not unfortunately.
(typically as we all know members try not to question selling prices of other members, but it is a natural reflex of the hardcore hobbiest following market trends....)

Discussing a controversial color listed in the marketplace outside of Rennlist and how it relates to resale comparisons of other colors is definitely ok as opposed to discussing pricing of an actual members car listed here for sale....

Rivy blue car market is something buyers and sellers want to know about
So it can be very controversial but educational too...
Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Many people claim to love Rivi Blue, and I'm sure they do, but not enough to pay a premium for it, it seems.

There has been a RLer's Rivi Blue cab for sale for awhile now. He listed it at $60K. It sat for weeks. Now it's at $55K. Still sitting.

Rivi Blue is a great color. Not great enough for people to pay a huge premium though, it would appear...
I agree. I have Rivi Blue and to a small group in the know the color is desirable and rare, but to the average buyer it's not deserving of a premium price.

Mike
Old 04-07-2011, 11:42 AM
syzygy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a bit confused about RL etiquette:

If someone posts their own car for sale in the 993 forum (which should really be for technical discussions), it's not acceptable to comment on the price and criticize the car. However if a RL'r posts someone else's car on RL, then it's OK to do these things. Am I the only one questioning this inconsistency?
I wouldn't worry about it in this case. I just posted this link because it's a colour that has quite a following and the asking price is a bit 'out there', especially for the presented condition of the car.

It was meant as more of an awareness thing and not a plug for the seller. All comments are welcomed. Ed's and others' comments are bang on, in my opinion.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The forum is open to all forms of discussion even on the pricing of members selling their car..... favourable or not unfortunately
I agree with you however there clearly is a double standard going on. A few months ago a RL member posted his RB cab with a severely inflated market price on the 993 forum. A few people (myself included) very respectfully suggested that his price was high while at the same time wished him well and hoped that he sold the car. The response was immediate and harsh and in no uncertain terms it was posted many times that you do not comment on member's pricing strategies, or as one post read, "don't crap on his thread." Here are two examples:

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
in this case, has not paid for membership, and is not selling their car here.
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Unless the seller has asked for pricing feedback, it's generally regarded as not cool to offer negative commentary on the price when he/she is the thread originator.

My opinion is that if a member posts something for sale in the members only classified section, comments regarding price, etc., should be sent via pm. However if a member or user posts in the forum sections, then they open themselves up to constructive conversation regarding any topic relating to the item they are selling, including price. Membership status or "being a good guy" or whatever should not equate to a free ride, as many have said or implied.

Last edited by deadhead1960; 04-07-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:00 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

The only time I ever comment on pricing on a post is when it's either ridiculously high as to offend, or priced perfectly to sell.

Delusional clowns need to be grounded, and realists need to be commended.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Deadhead, now that you explain your position, I can't fault this logic:

"My opinion is that if a member posts something for sale in the members only classified section, comments regarding price, etc., should be sent via pm. However if a member or user posts in the forum sections, then they open themselves up to constructive conversation regarding any topic relating to the item they are selling, including price. Membership status or "being a good guy" or whatever should not equate to a free ride, as many have said or implied."

But the fact is, this thread does not apply to your etiquette proposal, as it was a third party posting of a non-affiliated car, presumably being sold by a non-member.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I agree with you however there clearly is a double standard going on. A few months ago a RL member posted his RB cab with a severely inflated market price on the 993 forum. A few people (myself included) very respectfully suggested that his price was high while at the same time wished him well and hoped that he sold the car. The response was immediate and harsh and in no uncertain terms it was posted many times that you do not comment on member's pricing strategies, or as one post read, "don't crap on his thread." Here are two examples:

My opinion is that if a member posts something for sale in the members only classified section, comments regarding price, etc., should be sent via pm. However if a member or user posts in the forum sections, then they open themselves to constructive conversation regarding any topic relating to the item they are selling. Membership status or "being a good guy" or whatever should not equate to a free ride, as many have said or implied.

My opinion is that if a member posts something for sale in the members only classified section, comments regarding price, etc., should be sent via pm. However if a member or user posts in the forum sections, then they open themselves to constructive conversation regarding any topic relating to the item they are selling. Membership status or "being a good guy" or whatever should not equate to a free ride, as many have said or implied.
Okay, since you just can’t seem to let this rest, let’s address some other “inconsistencies”. For instance, although you want to have the right to offer commentary and be able to criticize others’ cars, you strangely get upset when other people find fault with the items you’re selling, even when they have a very valid reason to question the veracity of your advertisement (no, I don't call overpricing a car an issue of honesty).

Here is a case in point where it seems that a 993TT tail that you advertised as OEM was very much in doubt as to whether or not it was an aftermarket product, despite the fact that, in this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...rear-wing.html), you had sold it to a Rennlister who later realized that it was not OEM. Although you eventually resolved the issue, it took considerable Rennlist pressure to force you to do the right thing.

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Deadhead, is this the same one?:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...rear-wing.html

I thought it was determined that this was NOT an OEM part.
I though it was determined by the 993 Turbo Forum, that your part was NOT OEM. That's why you refunded the purchase to another Rennlister a couple months ago.
This is a very silly statement, and should be deleted from your post. By stating it cost $7k new in 1998, implies it is an OEM part. You are unwilling to confirm if it is OEM, and the 993 Turbo forum stated it is NOT an OEM part.
Originally Posted by Al Z
Why continue to try to sell a unit, knowing it is an aftermarket part.
An after market unit cost around 1200 or so. Who ever paid 7K for it in 98 got taken.
The following quote is directed at Al Z's previous post:

Your valueless comments continue to amaze me.
Your sarcastic PM's to me as a result of a private conversation I've had with other RLers speaks volumes to your character...or lack therefore.
Your habit of contacting members who express an interest in buying other member's items highlights the POS you seem to be. You want to sell something, post it on the board like everyone else.
The aforementioned five quotes can be found here: https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...condition.html

What I find inconsistent is that you flamed Al Z for his very, very legitimate (i.e. not subjective) concerns about the 993TT tail you were selling as OEM, yet you want the ability to comment about subjective issues such as price?? You’re either consistent or you’re not; which way do you want it? If you want consistency, then you should have no problem with Al Z’s valid comments. This is basic logic.

But, wait; there’s more. In this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...iles-sold.html), erick72pors questions the ride height of the car you’re selling. You get offended that he would offer such commentary.

Originally Posted by erick72pors
Looks like this car is ready for the Paris Dakar rally with that 4X4 SUV suspension setup. Buyer will need to spend at least $2000-$3000 to get the car lowered and get the suspension setup properly.
As for erick72pors...I'll let you other guys comment on his stupid comment. I wonder how foolish and irrelevant the other 7 posts are that he's made in the past 4 years are? Gimme a break!
So, regarding consistency, which way do you want it? Do you want to be able to criticize another Rennlister’s car, as you claim in this current thread is okay to do, or do you not want another Rennlister to offer disparaging commentary on the cars you sell as you claim in the referenced thread? You’re either consistent or you’re not; which way do you want it?

Further, there is that leeeetle issue of you being a car dealer/curbstoner here on the forums. There are other car dealers on this forum, but they have been far more direct in their enterprises than you have been. Based on the number of PM’s and emails I had received, apparently I was not the only one who found it ironic that you were channeling Bernard Malamud and “defending the faith” and trust of Rennlist, despite the fact that you had billed yourself as a “busy enthusiast” who somehow, some way managed to sell six cars in six months, cars that you had claimed were part of your “personal collection”. Most of the smart people here understood that you scooped up good deals and chose to sell them here. Six cars in six months? Wow, you sure did unload a lot of your “collection”. Where’s the faith and trust in not being direct with people about the cars you sell?

Just curious; are you a dealer?
Nope....just an enthusiast with a short attention span....and a lot going on!
I think there are a lot of "us" in here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-911-c2s.html

Hmmmm, here are links to your sales:

2/26/2010: https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...ercharger.html

3/23/2010: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-29-500-a.html

3/26/2010: https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...-92-000-a.html

5/18/2010: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ebay-sold.html

6/10/2010: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...iles-sold.html

7/13/2010: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...96-911-c4.html

(https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...t3-also-2.html)

(Rennlisters should take note that it appears that deadhead1960 has chosen to delete all of his original thread posts where he has sold cars in a vain attempt to cover up his tracks.)

Apparently I'm not the only one who looks askance at such behavior:

Originally Posted by rp911
But how many of those eight were in the last year? Just a fast search of posts started since joining a year ago reveals at least 5 Porsches for sale or sold, bunch of rims and other parts (tails, headlights). White 86 C2, yellow 993 cab, blue 993 C2S, 993 C4, 993 C2 coupe -- and some of those original posts were edited by you down to nothing in the last couple of weeks. And a whole lot of threads about other cars for sale that you found and are pointing out.

Why not be forthcoming -- if you are flipping cars for a hobby, and enjoying owning various Porsches for little or no money, thats okay, but please be truthful about it. Lots of people do it. There is probably a support group for it around here. No one is impugning you that I can see. But otherwise inexperienced buyers may think the car you are selling is your personal Porsche. Big difference in perception. People buy on Rennlist (as I did) because they want a car owned by an enthusiast whose tended to it over a period of time, not someone who picked it up at a good price on craigs list or cars.com and flipped it without getting to know it.
Originally Posted by Greg964
Deleting a car for sale post is odd. If it sold edit the post as sold. If it is off the market edit it as such. That deadhead has deleted some/all of his for sale posts speaks volumes.
You are portraying these cars as your personal cars when nothing could be further from the truth. Many new members incorrectly assume that if a car is being sold by a Rennlister, then there is a reassuring credibility level that the owner has checked the car over carefully, has lived with it for a period of time and is being honest since that member has a supposed reputation in the community. Unfortunately, you have shown that you cannot be sincere when asked about the nature of your business, an approach that would force one to wonder what else you are being cagey about. Many of your answers are quite slippery and not at all forthright (https://rennlist.com/forums/8291471-post14.html, taken from a current thread where a buyer is questioning your credibility (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...dhead1960.html).

As others have written, if your business is selling cars, whether it’s a hobby enterprise or not, car dealers and flippers have special techniques and tools at their disposal to temporarily or permanently make the car look better. Full disclosure would have been the right thing to do to help the consumer decide if he or she needs to investigate further.

Need more?

In this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...r-matters.html), goofballdeluxe had started a thread on Rennlist membership. Ironic that you would side with "doing the right thing and becoming a member" when you can't even be honest with the board about your status as a car dealer or the products you are trying to sell.

Referring back to the other thread, nobody berated anyone into becoming a member; it was a respectful suggestion. If you had not commented on a suggestion, from one member to the OP, the thread would have stayed on topic.

Participants who are users can certainly rationalize (to themselves and others) as to why they choose not to become a member. However given the token cost, I think we can all agree that "financial" isn't one of them. I think a good analogy is the voluntary or suggested entrance fee to many museums. Those that choose not to pay (regardless of ability) may justify their actions by saying that their $10 or $15 contribution has no individual impact on the total operating budget of the museum, or that the museum is primarily funded by grants and "since I already pay taxes," in effect I am already subsidizing the institution.

And like the commercial says, "membership has it's privileges."

So, for the sake of consistency, how would you prefer it? Would you, as you state here, want the ability to criticize another Rennlister’s car or, as you state in other threads, would you prefer that no one criticize the cars and parts that you sell? Please enlighten the board as to what you think is the right thing to do.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 04-08-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-07-2011, 10:56 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Mark, and you've said I have a way with words? That right there ^^^ would have William Shakespeare AND Perry Mason cleaning your shoes
Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Snaps!!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

some CSI stuff there!!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Mark, and you've said I have a way with words? That right there ^^^ would have William Shakespeare AND Perry Mason cleaning your shoes
Thanks, gbd. I've read too many threads here and have bitten my tongue for far too long, electing to say nothing.

I calls it like I sees it; the problem is that I sees it.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 04-08-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:45 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

Ed, I hear ya. I was simply trying to point out the way different posts are treated, first person vs. third party.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:00 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Mark,

Thanks for the heads up. I've recently returned to this forum. Good stuff to know.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:17 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Thanks, gbd. I've read too many threads here and have bitten my tongue for far too long, electing to say nothing.

I calls it like I sees it; the problem is that I sees it.
kudos Mark,, btw where have all the old peeps gone, quite a few have vanished....

Quick Reply: 1995 Riviera blue coupe for sale