993 Forum 1995-1998

References for Deadhead1960

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Art5oh
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default References for Deadhead1960

I'm about to buy a 993 from Deadhead1960.

Has anyone purchased a car from him?

Can someone vouch for his credibility?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 01:13 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

He says he's not a dealer, but he sure sells lots of cars. He posts often on here. You could do worse than to read all his posts and make an informed decision on who you're dealing with yourself.

Best of luck.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

ummm..

good people have good cars, good people have bad cars.

Bad people have bad cars, bad people have good cars.

He definately fits into one of the above box's.

I believe him to be a hardcore 993 fan, and P car nut. He has shown himself to be unafraid to comment, and reply to many threads here on RL. I've read many spirited comments both from him, as well a directed at him. Some haven't been pretty.

Regardless if he is good or bad, left or right handed, gay or straight, short or tall, fat or skinny..if the car passes the PPI-is a color combo you like-is in the right condition-and at the right price...buy the damn thing.

You can always make yourself believe that you saved it from the bad man.

just saying, but I imagine you'll get some PM's regarding this also.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Art5oh
AutoX

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input here and via the PMs.

Art
Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM
samsnead
Pro

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
He says he's not a dealer, but he sure sells lots of cars. He posts often on here. You could do worse than to read all his posts and make an informed decision on who you're dealing with yourself.

Best of luck.
It may vary from State to State, but in general if a person sells more than 5 cars a years they are considered a dealer and must be liscenced.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

While I cannot comment directly on DeadHead1960 and have no connection whatsoever to him, I do believe that buying a car is as much about checking out the car as it is understanding who you are buying it from for used private sales.

I have essentially interviewed the owners of the last 2 Porsches I have bought at the time of shopping.

I believe a person's character tells you a lot about how they took care of the car, and more importantly if they are lying through their teeth or being straight up with you.

While it is true that you could get lucky and get a great deal from a bad person, I think the likelihood is smaller. I am all about reducing my own risk when buying cars. Buying from a straight up person does that.

I have had great success with the last 2 911s I bought (993 and 911SC) and got them from 2 really nice guys.

Get a PPI, and an even more thorough one if you have any doubts about the seller's character. I would not bypass the PPI even if the guy were a supreme court justice...

Good Luck! and post pics if/when you purchase.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:58 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I am 100% with Kika. I always buy an owner. The chance of good owner fully disclosing everything i need to know about a car is infinitely higher. And you need to know as much as you can about a car. Besides that, I prefer to deal with and reward honest people with my $$.

From what I've observed, Deadhead is a good guy. He often reports well priced items that he finds for others to buy, which is a nice service to the community. So at the very least I would not hesitate to pursue buying a a car from him.

Art, one suggestion, since you are new here. Jay, I believe is in NJ and there is a wole bunch of very active Rennlisters there. Ask for a Rennfax (for the car to be looked over by one of the local Rennlisters). That service is both free and invaluable.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 PM
samsnead
Pro

If it's the one we had been discussing previously I have no problem going to take a look at it. IF you are sending it for a PPI tomorrow I can drop by.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Spidey 993

I agree with Nile13, I know Jay only from this board. He has always been helpful to me personally, and scanning for deals for this forum. And to conversations on this board, we all have our disagreements around something your passionate about.

Personally, I don't care if he is a dealer or not. If the car checks out and its everything I want, then the only question I have is do I send this guy 33K dollars...or whatever.? I don't get the red flags that pop up and I do feel comfortable in dealing with him. Matter of fact I am trying to buy his wheels from him if I can get my wife to pry herself off my wallet!

That is a great looking car, low miles and right price. Have fun and I hope it all works out!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Jay (Deadhead1960) is a fellow enthusiast and a stand up guy. I met him a fews weeks ago at a NNJR swap meet and enjoyed our time together.

I would not hesitate buying a car from him because he has a passion for the 993. He knows what needs to be done to keep it in top condition and I believe he would not knowingly try to hid a defect. Something that I would hope all rennlisters would do.

He loves the hunt for great 993s. Like all of us. He passes on those that are not right. And he does it with a degree of frequency that makes us wonder if this is a business. I think he just enjoys it. And makes a few bucks along the way.

As with any purchase, get a PPI from one of many great places in Northern NJ and enjoy your new ride.

Mark

Last edited by mjsporsche; 02-12-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:43 PM
tdiferrari
Intermediate

Well said Mark. From my limited contact with Jay, he seems well informed and an enthusiast with a keen eye for a deal. Good luck. Roy
Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by tjeff993

Personally, I don't care if he is a dealer or not.
I don't care whether someone is a car dealer or not, either.

I might take issue, however, if someone IS a car dealer and claims that they're not. I'm not implying that Jay is, but someone who is dishonest about what they do, might be dishonest about what they sell....
Old 02-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Spidey 993

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I don't care whether someone is a car dealer or not, either.

I might take issue, however, if someone IS a car dealer and claims that they're not. I'm not implying that Jay is, but someone who is dishonest about what they do, might be dishonest about what they sell....
Understood, I get your point and agree. And that's is what the PPI is for. Remember, the "caveat emptor", buyer responsible for "due diligence".

Hey, is that me talking?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:07 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by samsnead
It may vary from State to State, but in general if a person sells more than 5 cars a years they are considered a dealer and must be liscenced.
Mmm...let me do the math...in 8 years of Porsche ownership...8 Porsches. Hold on...still doing the math. I think that's 1 per year on average...so if 5 per year is the threshold, I'm good to go.

Met with the OP last night for 2+ hours during my layover in Miami. Great guy but not ready to buy anyones Porsche, let alone an air cooled one. In fact up until yesterday he had never driven one.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:17 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
Met with the OP last night for 2+ hours during my layover in Miami. Great guy but not ready to buy anyones Porsche, let alone an air cooled one. In fact up until yesterday he had never driven one.

So Jay, did the OP start this thread AFTER he spent two hours with you. You must have charmed the pants off the guy!

Does that mean you accept my offer!

Ok..the cost of chopping the top and installing a cabriolet. Swapping out the 6 speed for a tiptronic. I need to reduce my offer by $15K to make the numbers work.

I will be by tomorrow to pick it up.

Quick Reply: References for Deadhead1960