993 Forum 1995-1998

9M build

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:39 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Anyway, the build of the engine will use 9m billet heads (50mm/42.5mm valves), 9m Sport camshafts, 9m Sport valve spring set, mechanical rockers with ported intake runners, 100 cell cats and a live remap and we are expecting somewhere around 350hp on the 9m dyno, which will be around 300+hp at the tyres.

Very nice! I look forward to hearing more details of the build and seeing the end product. I still have dreams about selling my 993TT and buying a 375-400hp N/A 9M engine to go in a 2800lb 964 C2 or 993 C2

Colin, do you think a brand new set of hyd lifters combined with excellent oil (Motul 300V 20W60 or similar) woud work in your engines for track day use (>15 min sessions), i.e. not full-out racing?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:09 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Colin,

While the heads are off, you going to removed the barrels/pistons, and change out the rod bolts with ARP or a similar brand? My understanding is the rod bolts are a bit weak since Porsche reduced their diameter, and this may cause issues if the engine suffers an over-rev (like a miss-shift)?

I also understand that you can do this replacement through the spigots, and not split the crankcase?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
If im not mistaken it's done to match the intake ports of the new heads.
No, it's nothing to do with the heads. When we did the first 9m 993VR+2 conversion we stripped down the intake manifold and discovered an "anomaly" with the profile of the port which we removed. Not thinking that this was overly significant, on the next conversion we did a back-to-back test and discovered a slight but useful gain from the modification, so we now do it as a matter of course.

And no, I'm not telling you what I do, you can work it out for yourself.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:06 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hi Colin,

While the heads are off, you going to removed the barrels/pistons, and change out the rod bolts with ARP or a similar brand? My understanding is the rod bolts are a bit weak since Porsche reduced their diameter, and this may cause issues if the engine suffers an over-rev (like a miss-shift)?

I also understand that you can do this replacement through the spigots, and not split the crankcase?

Cheers,

Mike

There are lots of things that you could do on a conversion like this, it's up to the builder to decide if he needs new rod bolts in an engine running a stock rpm limit. If the engine had the later turbo/RS rods we would probably change the bolts if we were doing a full build or fitting a new 3.8 p&c set, however if the engine had the early lightweight n/a rods we would more likely change the rods for something stronger. You can change rod bolts without splitting the cases, however you could not fit Carrillos in the same way because the oil pump would need to be clearance machined.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that you bring up machining the oil pump for carrillos; whats your opinion of the larger 930 oil pumps and machining the case for these N/A builds?

For guys starting with USA 3.6's, see much advantage in trying to start with a GT3 crank?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:35 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Now that you bring up machining the oil pump for carrillos; whats your opinion of the larger 930 oil pumps and machining the case for these N/A builds?

For guys starting with USA 3.6's, see much advantage in trying to start with a GT3 crank?
It's all down to price and performance at the end of the day. If you use a stock 993 crank & pump, you can build a really nice Club Race engine that will run to 7750rpm and not break the bank, however if you want to chase north of 8000rpm a GT3 crank and GT3 oil pump is going to be the obvious choice, in fact we're currently making our first sets of 9m custom steel billet rods to mate the 9m 103 race piston to the GT3 crank.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Nickmysta
Racer

Hi Colin,

What do you recommend as the next step after the +2 package? Is the displacement increase (+3) necessarily the best way to go?

Given that torque figures of the +2 package are similar (better?) than some of Porsche most recent N/A models, would it make sense to increase the rev limit to gain more top-end HP? Would anything more than the Ninemeister valve spring kit be required for this?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-17-2010, 03:23 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Colin, as always... there seems to be plenty of interest in your work on this side of the pond. How are your plans for the US operations coming along?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Nickmysta
Racer

Huge interest! I am in Montreal, and there are tuners here who say they can very well do the work. What I am trying to understand though is the path to upgrading once the +2 kit is on.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 AM
fluke
Track Day

Update...car went into Ninemeister today to start the work. All the parts should be ready to go - I believe the plan is to strip and rebuild the engine this week - with the live remapping scheduled in for next Monday.

As mentioned earlier, a light-weight flywheel / clutch is to be fitted at the same time, and since I booked the car in I've also noticed that the front top-mounts are looking well past their best, so have asked to guys to look at replacing them too.

I'm hoping the car will be ready for collection by the end of next week - will keep you posted!
Old 05-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Nickmysta
Racer

Hi fluke - any updates?
Old 05-14-2010, 02:40 PM
fluke
Track Day

So - brief update...

There was a bit of a delay while various parts were sourced, then the engine strip was done earlier this week (sorry, no pics but, jeez, its just an engine, right?)

Inspection revealed some pitting of the barrel lining - nothing really horrible, but probably wasn't helping the oil consumption issue much.

Having thought about the options (ranging from, just stick the pitted ones back in there) I've decided "in for a penny, in for...quite a lot of pennies" and asked 9M to put in 3.8 barrels and pistons.

Combination of the extra time on the original parts and an impending holiday for me (volcanic ash cloud permitting) means I probably won't take delivery now until June sometime.

Needless to say I am extremely excited!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:29 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by fluke
(sorry, no pics but, jeez, its just an engine, right?)
But it's a 993 engine! Pics always welcome...

Andreas
Old 05-15-2010, 02:04 PM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fluke have 9meister take pics and use an eyefi card in your camera synced to a hosting site. that way they can share with you what they're doing with pictures and it'll be super easy for you to post some pics for us to see. it's really easy and this tread will be a 100 times more useful to us.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Any progress with this project?

Quick Reply: 9M build