993 Forum 1995-1998

Rennlist/ PCA member's 993 SPEEDSTER

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:14 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover

^^ Very well played, JP, but if only that were true!

Another 'stealable picure,' from the "Monterey 2010 photo thread: Pebble, Laguna, Legends, Quail, etc. ...918 Spyder!"...
Seriously. I came with Robin Leach! Do you like my new, and extremely rare color-matched factory hardtop? Ebay's Awesome!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Seriously.
I came with Robin Leach! Do you like my new, and extremely rare color-matched factory hardtop? Ebay's Awesome!
Jon-- Working sunroof, too, I bet. Jolly good!

What does "Hardtop Hilde" think of her turbo tail (below)?

Thanks in part to RLer PorscheMeister & others' enthusiasm, one of Speedy's many CA highlights was being hand-picked for the following by Mr. McCall (co-founder of The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering).

Posted today on SuperCars.net - "McCall's 2010 Motorworks Revival at the Monterey Jet Center:"
Originally Posted by SuperCars.net

Gordon McCall's Motorworks Revival at the Monterey Jet Center is one of the most exclusive lifestyle events of its kind in the country.
The one night event privately kicks off the World-Class automobile week held each August on the Monterey Peninsula.
With an "A-List" of VIP guests from Hollywood celebrities to Captains of Industry, this "Jet Set" crowd arrives in first-class style, to feast on the latest offerings from some of the world's top luxury brands in a relaxed and elegant party setting.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:17 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Jon-- Working sunroof, too, I bet. Jolly good!

What does "Hardtop Hilde" think of her turbo tail (below)?
Oh, you know, she's such an 'Accessorizer', one minute she's got a bustle and factory foglights, the next it's split grills and Turbo 'S' ducts. Women. You know how they are .. Don't want to be caught at a party in the same outfit ..... (although I'm not sure what's up with that SUV ride height and red brake calipers going on there... must be some new 'Look' she saw in a magazine or something ....) Aside from new shoes every so often, Speedy always looks consistently chíc, so confident in just being herself. LOVE that in a car ....

Last edited by JPP; 09-23-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:28 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up

Hey Jon ^^ another entertaining, well-written postt
Originally Posted by JPP

Aside from new shoes every so often, Speedy always looks consistently chíc.
Great point: if modernized 'Fuchs' >17" had been produced two years ago, debutant Speedy could have started out with her ideal wheels. Instead, I had to settle for being the first customer in the world to receive a set of Porsche's 2010 OEM Sport Classics

The dream hit me back ~1998 that Porsche should have offered a WB 993 Speedster. Likewise, well before I owned Speedy, my idea for updated Fuchs was born. Years ahead of her wheels ever being made, I was posting every similar option to Rennlist for those with similar revelations.

It didn't hurt that Porsche was the first to finally offer them. Even better was when my local dealer pulled an amazing feat in obtaining the first 'Exclusiv'-installed set on a customer's car.
They were just as enthusiastic about my 993 passion, & shared the vision of a fittingly modern homage to the iconic '89 Speedsters: Speedy with new shoes!

Photographs copyright & courtesy of Lee Glide.

Last edited by curve lover; 10-19-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: fix ded pic lnk
Old 09-24-2010, 03:14 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP

Speedy always looks consistently chíc, so confident in just being herself. LOVE that in a car ....
JP-- You really connected with your ^^ insights to a deeper back-story:
Having similar confidence throughout her entire build that she'd end up as you mention was sometimes another story!

One of the biggest unknowns was how she'd turn out. After years of looking & even flying overseas to search, I had few factual foundations to base Speedy upon, aside from one heavenly 993 that was converted & delivered to Seinfeld in 2001.

Similar to GrahamPeterM, who knew he was inspired by Speedy, but wanted something uniquely his own, I didn't want to copy Jerry's art ... but had no other real role model to go on than a shaky video posted in 2007.

It was a risk that seemed worth taking, & a leap of faith. I've been lucky that gut instinct worked as well as it has. As you pointed out, Speedy has had no significant change since her RL debut, aside from new shoes.

For the next enthusiasts who want their own, hopefully pix & details of my international search on the "Speedster type 993 photo thread" aid more RLers with a similar vision.

Likewise, I hope Speedy can continue to invigorate 993 passion with photographs here & elsewhere, & to provide a tangible example that can be seen in person.
... might already be happening -- as mentioned below ; from the "Monterey 2010 photo thread:"

Jon Paul-- you know Bob Schoenherr.
The folks by my 993 in his video (in two of 3 brief appearnces) wanted to see every inch of Speedy ... they're creating a 993 Speedster. IIRC, its owner encouraged them to be at this show & learn everything about her.

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: YT
Old 09-24-2010, 03:34 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Having similar confidence throughout her entire build that she'd end up as you mention was sometimes another story!
Steady boy, ... steady .....

Similar to GrahamPeterM, who knew he was inspired by Speedy, but wanted something uniquely his own ...
Yes, and Grahm's car is unique in many ways. Love the color, love the interior choices and the fact that he knew he wanted/needed a Tip and didn't let that (or let the voices of the terminally jealous) get in his way, gave his vision a level of authenticity, IMHO, that can't be questioned. The fact that he eventually got his own set of Sport Classic Fuch's mounted up is a great complement to your vision and a true testament to RL's basic brotherhood. Imitation truly is the sincerest form of flattery, n'est pas? (or should I say NEZ PAZ??)
Old 09-26-2010, 03:03 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Question The GREEN one?

Graham's is inspired in every sense of the word.
On the "Speedster type 993 photo thread," you recently touched on the Porsche Auto Group's apparent inspiration from our 993s & other RLers' for the development of their new 997 Speedster.

A very inspired 911 I'm surprised hasn't dominated threads ever since my first pic post of the McCall's Motorworks Revival, is the green one. Did 'Robin Leach' tell you of its significance?
It's nothing if not very inspired!
... & simply one of the rarest 911s in the world
Anyone?

Brought to my attention by the great man who photographed & shared the most prevalent Speedy pix on the interwebs:

Uploaded yesterday to MadWhips.com's McCall 2010 Motorworks Revival "Porsche Rainbow" page by user SuperCars_net (Richard Owen)...

^^ © 2010 by Richard Owen
Old 09-26-2010, 04:07 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

At least now there's a documented trend of others grouping green goodness with Speedy's rocket red (Exhibit 'A,' above)

Another reason I expected mention of the "mystery" green 911 at the Monterey Jet Center with her:
Exhibit 'B,' below...
Originally Posted by JPP

Got my April issue of Excellence this week. Great article, Jäger, and really nice photo spread. Love the cover cars and layout colors.
Very appropriate considering our friends penchant for RED and GREEN .... Actually, remembering his Christmas avatar, I guess that makes sense ....

Old 09-26-2010, 10:39 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

A very inspired 911 I'm surprised hasn't dominated threads ever since my first pic post of the McCall's Motorworks Revival, is [B]the green one. Did 'Robin Leach' tell you of its significance?
Please, tell us more. To be honest with you, when Speedy's in a photo, the other cars around her seem to 'disapear' in the picture ... (what's up with that? Is it just me ....?) I honestly thought the green car was an ST Tribute with some "interesting" lighting choices ... and, believe me, with as much Porsche history and information as I've absorbed in my addiction, I am reminded daily of how much I don't know .... YES PLEASE, DO GO ON ....

Last edited by JPP; 09-28-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:17 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Regarding the above mentioned 'Mystery' green car ... Look what I stumbled into today whilst I was taking a mental vacation to England on the Interwebz :

http://www.ninemeister.com/news.aspx#article08
Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP

'Mystery' green car ...
Awe-inspiring engineering that went into it. I was flattered to have my 993 featured next to Singer's first production car.

No surprise it's the subject of recent RL threads like
Coltranes' "OT: Amazing 911 Video" and
NEK's "Singer 911 on Carolla's Car Cast - Pics and Video."

Looks great from the front...

Old 10-11-2010, 09:48 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

... & how about some "junk in the trunk"

Old 11-02-2010, 11:37 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

^^ I'm still receving photography from others that shot Speedy at various car shows ; will post later.

Recently back from spirited November jaunt near the Rockies' front range.

Quick pit stop pic with a friend (hopefully more to follow):

Old 11-04-2010, 12:05 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yesterday's mile-high drive under the glorious November sun

Old 11-05-2010, 12:26 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jim-- I got yer PM almost mentioned your & our 993 drivin' buddies by name with my 1st pic.

My schedule's so erratic, may have better luck just letting me know when's good for you

This drive was a last-minute 'quickie' (so to speak):

Last edited by curve lover; 10-19-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: fix ded pic lnk

Quick Reply: Rennlist/ PCA member's 993 SPEEDSTER