Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Monterey 2010 photo thread: Pebble, Laguna, Legends, Quail, etc. ...918 Spyder!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:37 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
It was on a Lamborghini... I also saw this license plate frame on a good percentage of the late model exotics there. So I had to look it up to see what it meant and here is what I found:http://zo-d.com/stuff/automotive/119...orruption.html
Wow. The article kinda sounds like one of those "Urban Legends" stories, but you have to admit that wearing a $1600 donation receipt to a law enforcement special interest on the back of your speeding sports car might be to your advantage sometimes ...
Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Mark-- Writing from CO now, not CA Agreed: Too bad we missed each other last week.
well shoot... next time then!

Good luck with the studies. Stay sane
Old 08-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you made it!

You managed to get my car in there the white 993!

I went over to Quail and got to test drive the 911 C4S, Cayman S and the Boxster Spyder during the festivities.

I wish I saw you there!

Mad propz to Olav! Incredible night there. Beyond words how many exotics constantly drove through the slammed parking lot, dying for a spot.

Added bonus: Porsche put up a Zentrum next door. Amongst other beauties to luv, I scored some Jeff Zwart Pike's Peak Hillclimb posters

I had dinner with a Monterey friends I haven't seen in years; we all found the food & drink great.
Excellence Magazine editor Pete Stout said hi while I was parking. We planned to meet up afterwards, but there were so many folks, we got lost in the crowd.

The worst of it? After a measly 50 photos, my camera battery died. I then had to use my cell phone camera, which I'd avoided for years.

A couple pix now, more later; bleery-eyed concours prep for Speedy & I tomorrow AM.

(BTW, still haven't posted any of my 169 photos of McCall's Motorworks Revival Wed, where Speedy was featured.
Wish I had 48 hours a day to see cars & post pix! Almost too much car fun; it's incredible here.)

A real RS -- ask me how I know:

Old 08-17-2010, 03:14 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Holy C*ap, is that Speedy penned in by some hulking white S.U.V. parked with it's tires against the white divider lines??

[
Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 712 HP; better gas mileage than a Prius

Originally Posted by FlatSix911

Here are a few more from the big 918 event ...
Originally Posted by JPP

Alf must be frantically trying to liquidate assets and place an order ...
At 78 MPG, that's ^^ the environmentally-responsible thing to do

Another Monterey video:

Info: Wall Street Journal's "Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid: It crushes (eardrums)"

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: YT
Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
Holy C*ap, is that Speedy penned in by some hulking white S.U.V. parked with it's tires against the white divider lines??
Note the "men in black" keeping an eye on that corner!

...but you're REALLY not gonna like some pix with a friend of Alf's I'll try to post later

Much better parking at the Rancho Canada Golf Club:

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: YT
Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jon Paul-- Curious if you & Helmut met/know Bob & Anita Schoenherr. Think he said their "Queenie" won 1st @ the 912 Rendezvous.

FWIW, the folks by my 993 in his video (in two of 3 brief appearances) wanted to see every inch of Speedy ... they're creating a 993 Speedster. IIRC, its owner encouraged them to be at this show & learn everything about her.

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: YT
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Note the "men in black" keeping an eye on that corner!
..I saw them. Thought may be someone from the White House was a car nut ...

Jon Paul-- Curious if you & Helmut met/know Bob & Anita Schoenherr. Think he said their "Queenie" won 1st @ the 912 Rendezvous.
Yes, met them, saw their AMAZING preserved original car that won 'Best of Class' for it's model year as well. I believe he bought it new. Very nice people, he won a real Porsche Zentrum Crest Flag at the banquet dinner that I was secretly trying to figure out how to heist ....
Old 08-18-2010, 01:41 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP

regret for not pushing to make it to this show is officially setting in ....
Just the chance to meet you & your rare Hildergärd were a big draw for me to get to your area. Next time!

Thanks to Scott (Cahrera), I got in touch with Allill, but Jeff's not currently driving his WB blue cab. Hope we all meet up later.

Happy to hear from Alf (AlpinaDVL) that you two met.
I enjoyed making friends with great folks at Legends & every event.
Originally Posted by JPP
Speedy was glad when her nimble new friend, "Austin," pulled in to replace the S.U.V., & I was flattered when RLers Race4S & his lady later went out of their way to track me down & introduce themselves. Great people!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

AiRick's shots of the weekend...
Originally Posted by AiRick

Old 08-19-2010, 10:18 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Just the chance to meet you & your rare Hildergärd were a big draw for me to get to your area. Next time!
Happy to hear from Alf (AlpinaDVL) that you two met.
Yes, I really wanted to meet you and Speedy as well, and chat some more with Alf about his mechanical brood, but some anticipated possible serious issues came up for me that had to be dealt with or they could have turned into a very messy and costly problem. Luckily, an equitable agreement was reached yesterday, so my S.O. and me jumped in Hilde and took her out for the first time in a month today, put the top down and cruised over to El Molino in Sonoma for some of the best Mexican food north of the border ...
Here she is waiting patiently in the hot sun for us to finish our Enchilada Verde Suiza .... This car LOVES to run, baby ....

Next year for sure, we should just make it a date right now. I'm anticipating showing the 912 at Dana Point, San Diego 912 Rendevous and Monterey so there will be plenty of opportunity and excuses to bring the two wide-hipped Tuetonic warts together .. :-) They will make quite a pair, n'est pas?

I was just reviewing the interview posted above with the 918 Spyder Lead project engineer. It's amazing when he mentions that the long, dark surface of the center console is an iPad like touch-sensitive interactive screen that manages the cars systems ...

it's pretty obvious the interviewer doesn't 'get' the enormity of what he just said, or didn't hear him, or doesn't care ... Oh, well. Am I the only one that finds that to be the F**ing 'Mutts Nuts'?? (oh, I've been waiting to use that one ....)
Old 08-20-2010, 10:17 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jon Paul-- ^^ Gorgeous shot of Hilde! I luvs me some WB Arena Red Metallic
Originally Posted by JPP
Yes, I really wanted to chat some more with Alf about his mechanical brood
Alf had deep conversations with the technicians separately at the 'invitation-only' 918 Spyder preview. When he gets back to RL, hopefully he'll share 'secrets' they confided.
Originally Posted by JPP
I was just reviewing the interview posted above with the 918 Spyder Lead project engineer. It's amazing when he mentions that the long, dark surface of the center console is an iPad like touch-sensitive interactive screen that manages the cars systems ...
Here's another mention of that plus a lot more in this video: shot by Porsche Club of America's Vu Nguyen (IMO), it has VP Manny Alban interviewing the 918 Project Manager, Dr. Gernot Dollner. Shot Fri PM -- national PCA staff was leaving as we arrived.

Alf had a long talk with Dr. Dollner. He then told me that Gernot & other designers were excited about a 993 Speedster they just photographed in the parking lot, so then I personally followed up with Dollner.

I've enjoyed incredible trips to Monterey for the last 2 years, with many highlights. On a validation / "gosh darn that's neat" level, last year's apex was Seinfeld's enthusiasm when I showed him my 911. This year it was having Porsche's engineers of their amazing new show car go out of their way to exalt my old car parked outside Obviously, our 993s still have appeal.

AlpinaDVL-- Thanks for relaying that to me; I wouldn't have known otherwise

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: YT
Old 08-21-2010, 01:15 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

At 78 MPG, that's ^^ the environmentally-responsible thing to do
Just returned from a road trip to LA to drop off my son at USC ...
Here are a few more photos ...
Attached Images      

Last edited by FlatSix911; 09-26-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:22 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Jon Paul-- ^^ Gorgeous shot of Hilde! I luvs me some WB Arena Red Metallic
..yes, she's got the magic, the camera LOVES her (even my iPhone camera ...)

Alf had deep conversations with the technicians separately at the 'invitation-only' 918 Spyder preview.
... I hope they weren't "uncomfortable" ...

When he gets back to RL, hopefully he'll share 'secrets' they confided.
Yes, well, that would be nice. There are a few of us around here that miss him, despite his ornery self.....

Here's another mention of the 'tactile screen' dash [sic] (or 'sick' ) plus a lot more in this video: shot by Porsche Club of America's Vu Nguyen (IMO), it has VP Manny Alban interviewing the 918 Project Manager, Dr. Gernot Dollner. Shot Fri PM --
Thanks, Jäger, you always have the goods ...

... Alf told me that Gernot & other designers were excited about a 993 Speedster they just photographed in the parking lot ...
..that boy, he certainly knows how to "work a room" ..

... last year's apex was Seinfeld's enthusiasm when I showed him my 911. This year it was having Porsche's engineers of their amazing new show car go out of their way to exalt my old car parked outside Obviously, our 993s still have appeal.
When I was lucky enough to get to the new Porsche Museum in 2009, my party was taken on a guided tour by one of their body design engineering interns. One of the last exhibits he showed us was the evolution of the Turbo, with all models, from first to last, turning slowly on individual rotating dias' in front of the windows of Christophorus Restaurant. We were all just standing there in front of the Guards Red 993 Turbo and I turned to him and said 'I think that's the most beautiful car in here ..' to which he responded that he agreed and that the Porsche design community held the 993 body design up as the Hallmark of 911 evolution where they still pull inspiration and design ideas from it today.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:13 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up this just in: eShaun's photography!

Jon Paul-- ^^ Sounds like you got to know Alf pretty well when y'all met!

Luved your 993 insights at the Porsche museum

'Hot off the press' -- RLer & supreme photog, eShaun, put hours into uploading hundreds of photos from last Friday to Flickr.com

RLer Pauly993's Blue Turquoise dream, closing down Concorso Italiano:

Speedy @ Concorso...

Legends of the Autobahn...

Quick Reply: Monterey 2010 photo thread: Pebble, Laguna, Legends, Quail, etc. ...918 Spyder!