Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Speedster type 993 photo thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:59 PM
-CD-
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the pics in my archive bit have no data.

Greetings Christian
Old 09-25-2010, 04:48 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by -CD-

pics in my archive bit have no data.
Christian-- Excellent find! That particular custom work's fascinated me since I saw RLer Obersturm's exact same photos.

It appears to be built on a 964 or earlier chassis, given the placement of its windshield wipers. I'd luv to know if the Turbo tail covers a turbo engine!!!

Marty, our Aussie Speedsterphile-- Any more data on this ... before entering your Speedster-files, do you know where your photos originated from, etc.?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:51 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by -CD-

Greetings Christian
Bumperettes are interesting as it has a Euro (wide) plate on it.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:52 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tim-- ^^ IMO, rear bumperettes are slightly more effective than the nearly-useless fronts, but adding bumperettes to a Euro car is interesting.
Wonder if the Euro plate had to be trimmed to fit.

Originally Posted by curve lover

Christian-- That particular custom work's fascinated me.

I'd luv to know if the Turbo tail covers a turbo engine!!!
Speaking of custom work & turbo engines:
EBay's "Porsche 911 964 993 Speedster Conversion Kit Rare" auction. $18,500 USD or best offer. Item #170544346322, FS by losangelesporschedismantler, no affiliation.

It especially caught my eye because it prominently features photographs of what appears to be RLer DunavanEnt (Scott)'s 964 Speedster with turbo engine.
That's not particularly unusual, or dishonest advertising, since Scott has referred to LAPD's owner, Todd, as a buddy.

Seems notable that the seller's descriptions of parts are even written next to Scott's car, picture by picture. However, the seller writes at the bottom that those pictured aren't the parts for sale.
Just an unusual way to sell parts (1) without actual pictures, since Speedsters are rare, & (2) with photographs of a car we recognize.

It leaves me curious for closure regarding a fellow RLer's Speedster;he closed his "One of a kind 1994 Speedster on EBAY" thread without an update to its fate.

Scott-- I hope your highly-customized Speedster did well & you're pleased. If you haven't already seen, there's much more related information on previous page, #26, of this Speedster type 993 photo thread.

Originally Posted by LA Dismantlers

Up for Sale is a Porsche 911 964 1994 Speedster Conversion Kit

This is NOT an Aftermarket Kit, This is a Factory Porsche Original Kit
The 964 Speedster, a low-roof version of the Cabriolet which was evocative of the Porsche 356 Speedster of the 1950s, was produced in limited numbers (Only 930 Ever Made).

Here is What is Included in This Kit...
Windshield ( Which Included the Frame, Rubber Molding, Sun visors, and Rear View Mirror)

Speedster doors (same 89/94) complete with Speedster Glass

Speedster Door panels (Just like RS) complete with all switches and mechanisms

Speedster Convertible Top Assembly (Frame, a New Canvas Will be Sent)

Speedster Hump & Hump Mechanisms

The Kit Photographed is not the one you will be receiving, this is Example. All Parts will be In Excellent Condition but we do not guarantee color. All Parts will be Photographed and Emailed Prior To Shipping.

This is the Perfect kit to Modify your Porsche 993 to give it the Speedster Look, Porsche never officially released a 993 Speedster.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:00 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Tim-- ^^ IMO, rear bumperettes are slightly more effective than the nearly-useless fronts, but adding bumperettes to a Euro car is interesting.
Wonder if the Euro plate had to be trimmed to fit.

Not sure. The plate and the opening it sits in appear to be standard width. Hmmmm....
Old 09-25-2010, 09:13 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Speaking of custom work & turbo engines:
EBay's "Porsche 911 964 993 Speedster Conversion Kit Rare" auction. $18,500 USD or best offer. Item #170544346322, FS by losangelesporschedismantler, no affiliation.
It especially caught my eye because it prominently features photographs of what appears to be RLer quote]DunavanEnt (Scott)'s 964 Speedster with turbo engine.
That's not particularly unusual, or dishonest advertising, since Scott has referred to LAPD's owner, Todd, as a buddy.
You gotta watch these guy's. They quoted me a price for a 964 Speedster kit in 2009, then when I got them on the phone and pressed for details, it was all from an '89 Speedster. The salesman said "it's all the same". When I said I was just interested in 964 parts, the price went up 5K ....

And, what do you think are the chances of seeing another Turbo Body 964 Speedster in the same day?? How about one that just 'showed up' at the FDM BBQ??? How about one that was European delivered new as a narrow body Speedster in Slate Grey over black livery then shipped to California and converted just north of me in Santa Rosa to Turbo body using factory steel???

Not a garage queen, but still, a very exciting car: (please forgive my crappy cel phone pics taken in the BLAZING sunlight ....) very nice owner who oblidgingly showed me the top/clamshell workings and advised me he was looking for an 'enclosure' for the rear seat area, so he will be contacting me to get info on an RSD I stumbled across recently ... Good times.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:24 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Porsche 911 964 993 Speedster Conversion Kit Rare FS, no affiliation

Jon Paul ... RL's roving reporter ^^ never takes a moment off!
That is quite the nice coincidence, & another rarity for sure.

Slate Grey & Arena Red Metallic are two of my favorite 911 colors. What a great gathering.

Originally Posted by JPP
You gotta watch these guy's. They quoted me a price for a 964 Speedster kit in 2009, then when I got them on the phone and pressed for details, it was all from an '89 Speedster. The salesman said "it's all the same". When I said I was just interested in 964 parts, the price went up 5K ....
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. Guess I've been fortunate: great experience 80% of the time, both in person & long-distance. One notable foul-up on their part, but no hard feelings.

Their main website's down for maintenance at the moment, so I haven't been able to confirm if they have DunavantEnt's Speedster in their inventory.

However, on their old website...

Old 09-26-2010, 02:38 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ oh, that's awful. I hate pictures of wrecked Speedsters ...

Yes, I'd have to say, not a good experience with L.A.P.D. A real "Bait and Switch" situation that made me so skeptical that they would actually provide the 964 parts instead of some other selection of whatever they thought they could get away with, that I had to mentally add the cost of flying to L.A. to authenticate what was being sold to me, then renting a vehicle big enough to take the parts to a shipper myself because I had no faith that even then, they would ship what they showed me. Pretty sad, really. I don't think they knew how close to a deal we were and I sure as heck have no regrets about walking away in hindsight.

It's really disheartening to think that they actually have taken possession of Dunavantent's car, buddies or no. Like a lamb to slaughter ...

Last edited by JPP; 09-27-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:15 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

I was looking at the Friesenger build and noticed that they do a simple modification only to the left and right side of the stock Cabriolet rear bulkhead to create clearance for the top armature (I think...?), as opposed to 9M's factory-like replacement of the Cabriolets upper-mid bulkhead panel with the Speedster panel all the way across from side to side. I was under the impression that the Speedster piece had the elongated indentation to accomodate the folded top assembly, but evidently, the top must have clearance even using the Cabriolet indent. Pretty Geeky, eh?
Grahm's rear bulkhead:

Friesenger rear cowl fabrication:

Old 11-10-2010, 01:04 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Still no update on RLer DunaventEnt (Scott Dunavent) or his unique 964 Turbo Speedster. Assuming it met its ultimate fate with LA Dismantlers.
Originally Posted by John Rygg
saw this on ebay. I am not selling it but it has some great pictures of speedster parts. not sure about the price .. but I love speedsters

enjoy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item27b53c34d2
Parts still for sale ^^ No affiliation.
Build your own Butzi-mobile; 'new' photo:

^^ Photo credit / source: Porsche AG.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:24 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ Thanks for the 'new' picture of Butzi's Speedster. There's a beautiful simplicity about the 'narrow body' car that I think is very attractive, very German and very 'Speedster' authentic. LOVE the Cup II's here, they have become one of my favorite wheels on the NB cars, but look at that ride height!! WTF? Isn't that U.S. spec height? Certainly not R.O.W. height. Maybe Butzi's driveway is a little 'challenging' ..
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
^^^ Thanks for the 'new' picture of Butzi's Speedster.
Thrilled you like it!

Originally Posted by JPP
Isn't that U.S. spec height? Certainly not R.O.W. height.
Another 'new old stock' photo to the rescue

Old 11-12-2010, 09:28 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Another 'new old stock' photo to the rescue

Wow, what a 'rock hopper'! It's an eye-opener to compare the tire to fender gaps between this and Butzi's car. So, as usual, another very intriguing photo from your private library, and what an interesting animal it is. It appears to be U.S. spec (minus the basket handle??) and at first glance, it looks like Jerry S's car; Arctic Silver, standard seats, factory twists, but pictures of that car in the U.S. show it with differences like a twin grill lid, clear corner lenses and R.o.W. ride height, all changes that could have been done after it was re-imported. So, is this Jerry S's car, photo taken somewhere in Europe before it came home and if not, what car is this?
Old 11-14-2010, 02:11 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

JP-- The above photographs first caught my eye in 2007 when RLer Adrian published his black & white book "Porsche 993: The Essential Companion -- King of Porsche." I requested color versions of the images. He responded that Porsche AG had provided them, & he couldn't distribute any other versions.

Porsche has now released them in celebration of the 25th anniversary of their Exclusive division. <--- On that link, notice that the silver 993 was delivered in 2000 for a 1998 993. Hmmm... a 993 delivered by the factory in 2000 That subtle fact caught my attention years ago, & I always thought it conspicuous that I never read serious discussion of that on RL.

Discussed at length on RL were Mr. Seinfeld's other 993 rarities, such as owning the last produced for the US market & the last made for the rest of the world (2 separate cars). Since his 993 Speedster was delivered from the factory in 2000 (I had previously read that it was finished as late as 2001), that seemed worthy of generating much more discourse here.
Talking to him & his auto experts in person cleared up some details, since his was born as a non-Speedster, & he later sent it back to Exclusive for the conversion.

IMHO, personalization with Porsche parts doesn't surprise me: when he saw mine, which had 996 Turbo Twists on it, Jerry enthusiastically exclaimed that he had recently installed the same wheels on his 993 Speedster.

P.S. Got your other message; response in progress.

Last edited by curve lover; 11-14-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:49 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

JP-- The above photographs first caught my eye in 2007 when RLer Adrian published his black & white book "Porsche 993: The Essential Companion -- King of Porsche."
Porsche has now released them in celebration of the 25th anniversary of their Exclusive division.
On that link, notice that the silver 993 was delivered in 2000 for a 1998 993.
Since he [Sienfeld] also bought a 993 Speedster delivered from the factory in 2000, [knowing that] seemed worthy of generating much more discourse here. Talking to him & his auto experts in person cleared up some details, since his was born as a non-Speedster, & he later sent it back to Exclusive for the conversion.
I have had opportunity over the last year to ask Mr. Seinfeld personally about his 993 Speedster at the L.A. VW/Porsche Toy and Literature show and also to discuss the details of it's conversion and re-importation into the U.S. with Sam C., his curator, who I met at the Porsche swap and show the following day, and I confirm that the car was originally purchased as a standard narrow-body Cabriolet in '98, returned to the factory some time after that and re-bodied as a wide body Speedster, then returned to him in 2000, so it would appear that this picture may be his car.

Quick Reply: Speedster type 993 photo thread