Sponsored by:

Speedster type 993 photo thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:21 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Any info regarding Speedster shown on p. 597 of Adrian's book?

Anyone who owns RLer Adrian Streather's sacred text, "Porsche 993: The Essential Companion -- King of Porsche":

Please turn to page 597. Any background on the subject of that caption-less photograph would be appreciated.

Asked when it was published, Adrian told me it's the interior after a friend's 993 cabrio had work performed by Porsche Exclusive. He gave no information regarding its Speedster appearance.

Originally Posted by JPP

another very intriguing photo from your private library, and what an interesting animal it is
JP-- Glad you liked it! Another rarity: related RUF craftsmanship (not a photo in Adrian's book)...

Old 11-15-2010, 03:01 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ Hm., that appears to be an '89 top (side to side seams extend down the sides) mated to a 993, another first for me ....

I must have either an earlier or later version of Streather's book because page 597 is a list of interior option codes with no pictures printed on it. However, I think this picture, on page 62, also attributed to Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG is one I must have missed before. A 993 Widebody Speedster with U.S. spec front bumperette's. I wonder who's car this could be? Perhaps one of the two factory cars rumored to have been built for important East Coast customers ... But wait, those cobblestones look familiar don't they ...? ;-)

Last edited by JPP; 11-15-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:32 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by curve lover

Another 'new old stock' photo to the rescue

^^ Photo credit / source: Porsche AG.
Originally Posted by JPP

Wow, as usual, another very intriguing photo from your private library, and what an interesting animal it is.

It appears to be U.S. spec (minus the basket handle??) and at first glance, it looks like Jerry S's car; Arctic Silver, standard seats, factory twists, but pictures of that car in the U.S. show it with differences like a twin grill lid, clear corner lenses and R.o.W. ride height, all changes that could have been done after it was re-imported.

So, is this Jerry S's car, photo taken somewhere in Europe before it came home?
Jon Paul-- The gent who imported Mr. Seinfeld's 993 Speedster called me yesterday.
Great chat, but our connection dropped I'll have to get back in touch with him to confirm the info he relayed is for public dissemination.

P.S. I asked him the question you requested I ask. I'll message you later.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:51 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

JP-- Thanks for looking up page 597 in RLer Adrian's book. Due to the above-referenced phone call, think I have my answer.
Originally Posted by JPP

Hm., that appears to be an '89 top (side to side seams extend down the sides) mated to a 993, another first for me ....
I suspect you'll recognize the finished product.
IIRC, noteworthy build of a car by noteworthy families.

Another rare RUF shot:

Old 11-20-2010, 01:06 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, that is hawt...
and the retro stone guards look right at home

This thread is a goldmine of Speedster info. Just got caught up.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:24 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

JP-- Thanks for looking up page 597 in RLer Adrian's book. Due to the above-referenced phone call, think I have my answer.

RUF ...I suspect you'll recognize the finished product.
Hm. I don't recall the RUF car but this is a GREAT shot. Is that Alois tinkering with the drivers door there? I have to admit, I personally prefer the 'Tailored' cut of the '89 top v.s. the '94's longitudinal construction although the re-design in '94 was a definite improvement in the tops functionality...

Can't wait to hear from you regarding your phone conversations ...
Old 11-21-2010, 07:31 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
Can't wait to hear from you regarding your phone conversations ...
JPP-- Got your most recent message. Stay tuned

Originally Posted by JPP
Hm., that appears to be an '89 top (side to side seams extend down the sides) mated to a 993, another first for me ....

I don't recall the RUF car but this is a GREAT shot. I personally prefer the 'Tailored' cut of the '89 top v.s. the '94's longitudinal construction although the re-design in '94 was a definite improvement in the tops functionality...
I now have a 'new' photo I'll share, but first: these go back to page two of this thread, thanks to RLer 996Carrera's post #12. Notice the '89 snaps on the clamshell & the soft top...

For a long time, this was lost amongst the hundreds of Speedster-related pix on my hard drive.
Now I've been enlightened by RL: it's a Porsche family 993 belonging to Mark Porsche:

Originally Posted by 996Carrera

At one of my many visits to Ruf Germany, I met Mark Porsche. At that time he was driving this 993 speedster when he arrived with Austrian plates.

Last edited by curve lover; 07-01-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: fix ded pic lnk
Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

... I suspect you'll recognize the finished product. ... [a] noteworthy build of a car by noteworthy families.
Notice the '89 snaps on the clamshell & the soft top...
... So the 993 Speedster being worked on at RUF is Mark Porsche's Speedster? My first thought is what I'm seeing in the pictures at the RUF facility is Mark's originally narrow bodied factory Speedster conversion being made into a Wide-body car at RUF which would explain the unique one-off narrow body rocker transitions at front and rear fenders, and the odd cut-ins for just the new GRV rear flares and not the entire rear wings into the already-painted factory narrow bodywork. It all implies that the use of the '89 top, the narrowbody rocker transitions, the Turbo 'S' front spoiler lip and the Cup II wheels were all specific design choices made by Mark Porsche when he decided to customize and modify his factory delivered narrow body Speedster which I'm sure looked just like Butzi's car when it was delivered to him except for what appears to me to be Polar Silver (pre-1997, pre-Arctic) paint v.s. Butzi's Aventurine Green ......

Old 11-23-2010, 11:35 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Last shot of Mark Porsche's, that I've never seen on RL...

Old 11-24-2010, 01:55 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Anyone who owns RLer Adrian Streather's sacred text, "Porsche 993: The Essential Companion -- King of Porsche":

Please turn to page 597. Any background on the subject of that caption-less photograph would be appreciated.

Asked when it was published, Adrian told me it's the interior after a friend's 993 cabrio had work performed by Porsche Exclusive. He gave no information regarding its Speedster appearance.
Originally Posted by JPP

I must have either an earlier or later version of Streather's book because page 597 is a list of interior option codes with no pictures printed on it.
JP-- Thanks for looking into your book on my behalf.

^^ Photograph © Porsche AG &/or Veloce Publishing. Glady removed upon request if anyone desires.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:57 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

^^ Discuss...
Seinterior!

^^ From page 5 of this thread.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:10 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

I keep looking at the position of the sunvisor's in the pictures from Streather's book because in all of those shots they are turned down into the windshield in the exact same position and I believe it is the same car in all the pictures including the front shot I posted and the above shot of the interior. What would be the chances of two silver 993 Speedsters having those same seats? I'm concluding that this is Jerry S's Speedster at an early stage, probably as delivered from the factory and perhaps before it was re-imported to the U.S.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:43 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

JP-- Got your most recent message. Thanks for the details! Glad you're thinking what I can't say ... yet.
Originally Posted by JPP

I'm concluding this is Jerry S's Speedster at an early stage, probably as delivered from the factory and perhaps before it was re-imported to the U.S.
SportAuto.ee's recently-created 'Porsche 911 993 Speedster' page...
Originally Posted by SportAuto.ee
F.A. Porsche's 993 Speedster is the only 993 Speedster in the world born as a 993 Speedster.

As can be seen from the photo, it has the higher "american" suspension. High suspension could be practical for everyday car, but this showpiece should be as low as grass for the maximum impact...

The car was initially delivered with 996-style 3-spoke steering wheel, but was later changed back to 993-style 4-spoke.

Photos (c) Porsche AG and others
Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bosch's993

the bucket seats have the grey insert with 3 different shades on the seat bottom, car's in fabulous condition.
Brandon-- Nice. I'm a fan of the 964 Speedster's OEM Recaro bucket sport seats
Originally Posted by bosch's993

My uncle has a 1994 Speedster Black, which has a Tiptronic transmission
One of my favorite 964 Speedsters is also a black Tip.
From the 964 Forum's "1994 Speedster Widebody" thread:

Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hate it when this thread gets bumped up....

....One of my favorite 964 Speedsters is also a black Tip.
From the 964 Forum's "1994 Speedster Widebody" thread:[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Speedster type 993 photo thread