993 Forum 1995-1998

Speedster type 993 photo thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:31 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Even better, it's [the Speedster Driver's Manual Supplement] arguably the best source to answer your question about the external fasteners. They secure rubber hooks that provide closing tension, reaching around & under the clamshell's edges. As page 4 & 8 of your supplement should say,As you'll see when you operate Jay's Speedster top: as opposed to Tenax fasteners, they're simply a black metal button top.
964 Speedster's top has right portion of this button top; doesn't separate or snap - simply secures the hook to the other side of the fabric top:
As I suspected, but it wasn't entirely clear when reading the supplement, however with these pictures showing the arrangement, it makes perfect sense now, thanks, and also clears up much of the mystery of the differences and engineering upgrades and improvements Porsche did to the '89 Speedster top/Clamshell design when doing the '94 Speedster. They did the same thing between the T1 and T2 Speedsters back in 1956/1957 as well. Chances are, if you haven't owned both or studied both up close, you would never know they are vastly different designs with several improvements incorporated into the latter.

So, do you know if there's any difference between the '89 top frame assembly and the '94? The part numbers are different, but that could just be the changes they did to the cover and the way it attaches at the rear. If the windshields are the same, then the front latch must be close. I think there is a TSB for an improved latch for the '94's, any info on that? Always questions, with this one, questions, questions .....
Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jon Paul-- ^^ Please see last night's PM, addressing '89 part differences & more.

Wrapping up the '90 conversion on previous pages:

Currently offered for sale by Belgium's Dekens Porsche. Since last seen for sale here, the seats have been swapped out, & the cabrio doors are now RS panels.
Porsche 993 Speedster 1990 Midnight Blue Metallic 102,000 kms
Black leather GT3 seats, RS door panels, 18" wheels, etc.
Based on a 964 cabrio, with original 993 & Speedster parts. Very exclusive. Price available upon request

Old 01-07-2010, 08:50 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Jon Paul-- ^^ Please see last night's PM, addressing '89 part differences & more.
You have a p.m.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:46 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Hm. Is that a Rear Seat Delete box I see back there ..?? ....

Currently offered for sale by Belgium's Dekens Porsche. Since last seen for sale here, the seats have been swapped out, & the cabrio doors are now RS panels.[URL="http://www.autosdekens.be/porschetekoop.htm"]
Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
You have a p.m.
Got it! ...asking for pix of Speedster rear 'seats'
Originally Posted by JPP
Good question. I'll post under-clamshell Speedster shots when (if? ) homework's done
In the meantime: the remainder of Deken Porsche's current 'for sale' photos...

No affiliation.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Clamshell is from an '89 and probably the top since car's top construction is much cleaner and tighter looking than the 3 piece 964 design. This top has 4 panels with no side seam. The fourth being the rear window area that is sewn in at an angle towards the lower rear edge of the side window, like a beautifully tailored suit.

As opposed to this:

Last edited by JPP; 01-08-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: I'm a dummy.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably more like the difference between the factory style -the yellow car- stitching and a top somebody sewed up to fit- the blue car.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:47 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Group911@aol.com
Probably more like the difference between the factory style -the yellow car- stitching and a top somebody sewed up to fit- the blue car.
Perhaps, but here's a couple of '89's that look like the same 4 piece design as above:

I believe this design was abandoned because there were too many customer complaints about air and water leakage around the side windows, according to review magazines of the time. Also, the clamshell hinging mechanism was redesigned for the 964 as well because of customer complaints of difficulty of operation on the '89's. The center pivot point at the forward attach point was split into two side attachments for stability and easier operation.
As a side note, the original 356 Speedster top was much like this, unlined, unmotorized and simple. With the top up and side curtains in, they were quite comfortable to drive in wet weather and they were so loud, you couldn't hear wind noise anyway ..
Old 01-09-2010, 01:53 AM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look closely at the extra seam on the blue one that comes down from the back window at a 45 degree angle.
That and too many snaps appears wrong.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:01 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Group911@aol.com
Look closely at the extra seam on the blue one that comes down from the back window at a 45 degree angle.
That and too many snaps appears wrong.
Like I said, could be. None of them have side stitching like the '94 though which is obviously a completely different cover.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
You have a p.m.
Got it! ...asking for pix of Speedster rear 'seats'
Originally Posted by JPP
Good question. I'll post under-clamshell Speedster shots when (if? ) homework's done
Following pix posted last night on JP's 964 Forum thread, cross-posted here in case they help anyone else looking for Speedster details. These are surprisingly difficult photos to find on the web...
JP-- As promised: late Sun night, after 10 hours of weekend homework, you're my first priority. 'Sides, Speedsters are always much more fun than nightschool.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 01-11-2010, 12:44 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

In case it helps anyone
Not directly related, but from past experience, I bet you'll send me a PM at some point in the future, asking for something like this....

Disregard the arrows, unless you need four rubber stoppers pointed out

Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

^^ these are mostly from the Technik brochure photos on eBay, of which one just sold for ~$145 (no affiliation).

Text is German (FWIW, mine is English).

Old 01-11-2010, 12:52 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
I was hoping someone here could tell me what a 964 Speedster looks like in the rear seat area?
Originally Posted by JPP
it's impossible to find pictures of anyones car with the clamshell open, looking down into the back. So, they must look a lot like an RS, back there then.
It is frustratingly like the 'Holy Grail' of web Speedster photos -- I've been in your shoes -- but I'll have ~3 to share ... when homework's done

P.S. I got yer latest P.M.

Quick Reply: Speedster type 993 photo thread