Notices

Just got deeply scr*wed....

Old 06-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Lawrence_P
User

It is not going to work out. I am really sorry about that.

Some months ago Matt asked me if my car was available. It was. It is a nicely set up DE-dedicated 993 with a newly rebuilt motor. That is how, I thought, I described it and what, I thought, Matt wanted. He bought it and just recently picked it up.

It was not at all what Matt wanted. This is a dirty, chipped, scratched car with good suspension and drivetrain that is fast and dependable. He wants, I now know, something far more pristine.

I tried to meet him when he picked the car up because I was expecting him to be pleased with it and I wanted to see him off. I am sorry. His reaction was a major surprise to both of us. But the money is spent and there is nothing I can do about it.

I am not going to get into a pissing match about this. Matt, I wish I had sold the car to anyone else. I know you are deeply disappointed.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:29 PM
gonzilla
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lawrence_P View Post

Some months ago Matt asked me if my car was available. It was. It is a nicely set up DE-dedicated 993 with a newly rebuilt motor. That is how, I thought, I described it and what, I thought, Matt wanted. He bought it and just recently picked it up.

It was not at all what Matt wanted. This is a dirty, chipped, scratched car with good suspension and drivetrain that is fast and dependable. He wants, I now know, something far more pristine.

I tried to meet him when he picked the car up because I was expecting him to be pleased with it and I wanted to see him off. I am sorry. His reaction was a major surprise to both of us. But the money is spent and there is nothing I can do about it.

I am not going to get into a pissing match about this. Matt, I wish I had sold the car to anyone else. I know you are deeply disappointed.
Wha?

Not that it's any of my business... BUT... Were there no pictures exchanged? Was there no mention of the chips and scratches? Did you guys not talk about the condition of the car at all? I don't know if I would necessarily draw the line from "a nicely set up DE-dedicated 993 with a newly rebuilt motor" to "a dirty, chipped, scratched car with good suspension and drivetrain that is fast and dependable". If I had expected the former and received the latter, I would probably be pretty disappointed too. Did you ever mention any of the stuff from the latter description to him before he bought it?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Bearclaw
User

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Wow - just that one sentence, "This is a dirty, chipped, scratched car with good suspension and drivetrain that is fast and dependable. ", if spoken at the beginning of the process, would have seemed to put everyone on the same page. Crazy how it got to this point.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:48 PM
centerpunch
User

An adult chooses to buy a car without seeing it and is surprised it's not what he expected?

That seems like a totally predictable outcome.

Am I missing something here?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:49 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lawrence_P View Post

The car certainly looked great from the pics you posted 2.5 years ago. Have you driven the **** out of it since?

Andreas
Old 06-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Nuff
User

Wow. This could get ugly. As always, there are two sides. Hopefully there is some middle ground here.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally Posted by AOW162435 View Post
The car certainly looked great from the pics you posted 2.5 years ago. Have you driven the **** out of it since?

Andreas
I agree. Sure looks nice with all the options added. And all along it was clear from his post that he tracked the car.

Not really sure why the big surprise.

Was it not priced accordingly?? Would be good to hear from the buyer why the disconnect?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Avid Fan
Super User

Originally Posted by centerpunch View Post
An adult chooses to buy a car without seeing it and is surprised it's not what he expected?

That's overly simplistic don't you think? I've bought four of the five cars I've owned in the past three years, three of which were 993s, sight unseen out of the US with no major issues.

Matt: You've got PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Academictech
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Don't worry, drive and be happy.

Those pictures are dated 03/07 from the original posting....looks pretty good. If it was indeed serviced by Dan Jacobs aka Hairydoggrrage.com the buyer can at least take some solace that they seem to have a good reputation here on Rennlist.

Dirty and some scratches? C'mon....drop a few hundred on a detail, drive it and be happy...dark colors show everything so it's probably not as bad as you think.

Collingwood was home for me once....get out on those awesome blue mountain hilly, twisty roads, take that thing on a spirited ride up to Tobermory and forget the aesthetics!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:32 PM
99three
User

This all hinges on a few things. Depending what was spoken between parties, agreed price, and the 'real' pictures sent over to the buyer along with clauses when received. There is still Matt's story to be heard. This will be interesting.

Last edited by 99three; 06-12-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-2008, 03:01 PM
MarkD
Addict
Rennlist Member

"What we've got here is failure to communicate."
Old 06-12-2008, 03:05 PM
CornerCarver
User

Originally Posted by centerpunch View Post

+1

As we have not heard Matt's side, this will get even more interesting, I'm sure. But, Matt, I have to ask; why didn't you ask a Rennlister to check out the car for you? I would have gladdy driven to CT for a Rennlister.
I am confused about is the two separate descriptions of the vehicle. Is #1 the seller's pre sale description and #2 the seller's post sale description?

Description #1
It is a nicely set up DE-dedicated 993 with a newly rebuilt motor.

Description #2
This is a dirty, chipped, scratched car with good suspension and drivetrain that is fast and dependable.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM
TRINITONY
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hope things work out for you...

Don't buy sight unseen though..

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/399896-ot-becareful-buying-sight-unseen.html
Old 06-12-2008, 03:17 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carrera SC View Post
+1

As we have not heard Matt's side, this will get even more interesting, I'm sure. But, Matt, I have to ask; why didn't you ask a Rennlister to check out the car for you? I would have gladdy driven to CT for a Rennlister.
I am confused about is the two separate descriptions of the vehicle. Is #1 the seller's pre sale description and #2 the seller's post sale description?

Description #1
It is a nicely set up DE-dedicated 993 with a newly rebuilt motor.

Description #2
This is a dirty, chipped, scratched car with good suspension and drivetrain that is fast and dependable.
Reading both statements, i would conclude that this is a dirty scratched car. Since its a DE car, it will not be a garage queen. Anyone who has run at least once on the track knows how their nose needs a respray after that... The keyword here is DEDICATED DE car. Q-tip types should not apply here.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:49 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hopefully the price was a fair one for a car in the condition that it is. If it was, Im sure that it can be resold at a reasonable price. Best of luck. I really hate to see this situation. I will say that I have bought 2 M3's, 3-911's, X5, 540 and other cars found online and I have driven or flown to see (or flew a friend to see it in the case of a 011) each one prior to purchasing. I know that one mans trash is another mans treasure so to speak. I am not overly partictular on paint etc and Im sure that what I would consider really nice, someone (like Andreas maybe would consider to be rough. Either way, hopefully this will work out for Matt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just got deeply scr*wed....

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: