Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Just got deeply scr*wed....

Old 06-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, jesus, hide the phone numbers and e-mail addresses, if for nothing else than the web spiders...
Old 06-12-2008, 11:18 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Mark, that is one of the best comments I have ever heard from you! And know that I mean that with all due respect. I agree with your reply 100%!
+1!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:20 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Mark, that is one of the best comments I have ever heard from you! And know that I mean that with all due respect. I agree with your reply 100%!
Mark is a thorough SOB. I think one of his finest (written) moments came after we inspected a thoroughly-trashed 993 in NJ together.

Andreas
Old 06-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks, guys. I am just trying to be fair, which seems to be the right thing to do when commenting on this unfortunate scenario.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:30 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

If you were indeed fair, you would have stopped after the first few business cards...

Andreas
Old 06-12-2008, 11:49 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Matt,
This is a tough deal. I do these types of transactions fairly often. I do my best to describe cars I sell in as objective of terms as possible. I provide lot of hi res pics. I try to get a good idea of buyer expectations and if the car will not meet those expectations I tell the prospective buyer. I also know it is very difficult to quantity what everyone means by poor, good, excellent condition etc. I have been disappointed and very happy with cars I have bought sight unseen. If I am unwilling to travel to see a car and am I disappointed I assume some level of personal responsibility. If someone out right lies about something then I have a few sleepless nights just like you. It really comes down to two choices, you can sell car, take your losses. Or fix it up a little and enjoy the hell out of it. Do what ever will make you the happiest.
Phil
Old 06-12-2008, 11:56 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark your respond is dead on .
Just the simplest things in life says alot .
Not even vacuming the car that does not cost a dime but cost seller his reputation . Don`t make sense
I see it here alot guys not batting an eye at spending $20 on good wash and vacum to $200 or more on detailing the car even after they sold and recieved the cash for the car . Some DE cars I have seen you could eat off the floor but if the car is as described I certainly wouldn`t even eat at seller`s dinning table .
One is call pride in oneself and other is not called for .

I did not do a ppi on my car and got more than I paid for in a positive way .

Sorry for despair
Cheers Guy
Old 06-12-2008, 11:56 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did I miss some pictures of this POS car? Everything has a goddamned price, and no way in hell would I buy anything for more than a few dollars sight unseen. If it's cheap enough and hasn't been crushed halfway to hell and back, it will serve as a track car just fine. If dude is more concerned with the paddock concours, well...........to each his own.

I shuddered when I put my RSA on the market a couple of years ago when (yet another) race car presented itself. 130+K repainted but damn nice RSA for under $22K. Know what I got? A bunch of dipstick dreamers who thought the car should have been stored in a sealed bag like those 993 turbos that one guy has. And I should pay THEM for taking the car. So it sits in my backyard.............
Old 06-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like you got a little screwed on the PPI. That's stuff they really should have caught!
Things get painted all the time, it doesn't show any real damage other then the paint needed to be repainted for what ever reason. The rims, he does owe you the rims that were part of the deal.

Here is what I would do....
1. Find a good local detailers, pay the $300-600 & have the whole car done! It will looks so much nicer! yes, they can polish a turd.
2. Get your rims, or the $$ differance
3. Find a body shop, or other shop then can fix the hood.
4. Buy some touch up paint, or pay to have it done.
5. Face the fact that you have a car that is old & well driven & will need some work!

I feel your pain! I had my front bumper repainted do to some rock chips, no damage, just chips, my car had under 40,000mi on it.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a drag for sure. I bought a car from a Rennlister, but also spent a LOT of time on the phone with the seller, talked to another Rennlister that almost bought the car, had a PPI done, and flew to look at the car before any more than a $200 deposit changed hands. There is plenty to kick about on the seller's part, but caveat emptor never stops being good advice. Best of luck in making this work for you, but I'm concerned that you've already churned too much bile over this transaction and this will never be a good car for you. My 2 cents says clean it up to the point that you can sell it in good conscience and try again.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:16 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I love the fact that cow semen somehow made it into this thread (Mark - WTF?). It reminds me of the paper placemats at a rural restaurant I eat at that have ads for "bull semen". Great... oh lunch is here, yummy. Can I get some more mayonnaise with this...?

Anyway, good to laugh .

I will post some replies tomorrow, again thx for all the thoughts and feedback.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:13 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Matt

Am really sorry to hear of your situation.
I would go back to the guy who PPI'd it and then fixed the worn out parts (??), and also have it detailed.
Get the carpets out, dry it out, and also replace the bits that need it.
Seller needs to remedy the issue on the wheels, and also any damage to the car not described.

Just my 2 c.

Phil
Old 06-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Lawrence_P
Racer

"Dirty, scratched and chipped" were quoting Matt's words, not mine. Dirty, yes, it just came off the track. So? "Scratched"? I don't think so; he does. "Chipped"? Possibly, but I doubt very many. It has clear film everywhere. Matt doesn't like much of the work that was done, but the car still looks like it does in the photos.

I had two sets of wheels. They were identical except for center caps, which can fly off on the track. He got the set with MPSCs, so no caps. (You want a set of center caps? Fine. Let me know where to send them and I'll order you a set.) I told Matt the car lived outside. Why does that matter? I don't know, but now it does because the window seals are grey instead of black. Etc., etc., etc.

I assume the ppi was simply mechanical (the report Matt gave me was purely mechanical). Why? Because Matt said he wanted a DE car. Not a queen.

If Matt had bought the car and come out promptly to see it and said "gee, you know, this isn't what I wanted" we could have undone it then. But to complain months later, give me a break.

Like I said, I am not getting into a pissing match here. I am just as annoyed as he is.

Last edited by Lawrence_P; 06-13-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
I love the fact that cow semen somehow made it into this thread (Mark - WTF?). It reminds me of the paper placemats at a rural restaurant I eat at that have ads for "bull semen". Great... oh lunch is here, yummy. Can I get some more mayonnaise with this...?
Matt,

I briefly posted a disturbing email exchange when Andreas sent me a Craigslist post for a cattle semen container and then decided to pull it since I didn't want to **** him off, despite his triple dog dare. If he gives permission, I may post it, although I don't want to, er, dilute this thread any further.

Incorrigibly juvenile.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:25 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrence_P
"Dirty, scratched and chipped" were quoting Matt's words, not mine. Dirty, yes, it just came off the track. So? "Scratched"? I don't think so; he does. "Chipped"? Possibly, but I doubt very many. It has clear film everywhere. Matt doesn't like much of the work that was done, but the car still looks like it does in the photos.

I had two sets of wheels. They were identical except for center caps, which can fly off on the track. He got the set with MPSCs, so no caps. (You want a set of center caps? Fine. Let me know where to send them and I'll order you a set.) I told Matt the car lived outside. Why does that matter? I don't know, but now it does because the window seals are grey instead of black. Etc., etc., etc.

I assume the ppi was simply mechanical (the report Matt gave me was purely mechanical). Why? Because Matt said he wanted a DE car. Not a queen.

If Matt had bought the car and come out to see it and said "gee, you know, this isn't what I wanted" we could have undone it then. But to complain months later, after I already bought another car with the money, give me a break.

Like I said, I am not getting into a pissing match here. I am just as annoyed as he is.
Sigh...

Larry,

With as much respect as I can muster at this stage, I need to disagree with you strongly to set the record straight:

- the car does not look like the pictures
- it is as I described
- you did not say that the car lived outside, although it is certainly convenient to claim so now
- this is the first time you have approached answering some of my questions re. the wheels (...and trunk lid? trunk rust? water inside trunk & interior?)
- the fact that you admittedly characterized the car on this forum as "dirty, chipped, and scratched" (my words or not) is interesting since you rather omitted any similar description in all of our email/phone conversations

Re. my expectations, let's be clear: There is a spectrum of car condition from garage queen to junk and my expectations for a DE car were in the middle. My hope given that the car was owned by a Rennlister was at least average. I think it's clear what my characterization of this car is.

To complain months later is not unreasonable, because the essential facts are as they are. I've already been very open on this thread about admitting that I made a huge mistake not personally inspecting the car. However, you share some culpability here, since by omission or otherwise you materially misrepresented the car. If you as annoyed as I am, that is interesting - since you have my money and I don't. I would say the consequences for each of us are a touch different.

In the end, you will probably never see it the way I do because some people are car people and some people are not. I would never treat something that I owned like this, least of all sell it to someone else like this. But you did. Ultimately it's a question of values and that's a place that we're not going to find a middle ground.

Last edited by jdistefa; 06-13-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just got deeply scr*wed....