Notices

Just got deeply scr*wed....

 
Old 06-12-2008, 07:13 PM
  #61  
trojanman
User
 
trojanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County, So Cal
Posts: 1,367
Default

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod View Post
None of these items came out during the PPI you had done?
+1

Sounds like a really crappy situation, Matt, and I feel for you. But it seems like your PPI mechanic REALLY let you down.
trojanman is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:16 PM
  #62  
NP993
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
NP993's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,053
Default

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod View Post
None of these items came out during the PPI you had done?
That's exactly what I was thinking. I mean, at bottom a PPI should indicate any type of rust or corrosion. What did the PPI report say?
NP993 is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:18 PM
  #63  
Academictech
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Academictech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 870
Default

Matt, did you follow up with Jacobs at all? I see that the previous owner used them (and from that sticker either was sponsored by them or was advertising for them). While one could understand some bias....if the mechanic misrepresented the car on the PPI report you rightfully paid for there is your first stop. Dan seems to have a very good rep here, surely they'll stand up to their work.
Academictech is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:20 PM
  #64  
biotechee
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 283
Default

I would have to agree- somebody did something to someone for sure....

If what Matt is saying is true (I have no bias either way and do not know either side), that is truly horrible.
biotechee is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:21 PM
  #65  
jdistefa
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
jdistefa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Onterrible
Posts: 6,960
Default

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod View Post
None of these items came out during the PPI you had done?
Nope. Nada.
jdistefa is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 PM
  #66  
mhm993
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mhm993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Schattenbaum/MNY Regions
Posts: 2,071
Default

Am I out of line asking the purchase price?
mhm993 is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 PM
  #67  
jdistefa
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
jdistefa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Onterrible
Posts: 6,960
Default

Originally Posted by Academictech View Post
Matt, did you follow up with Jacobs at all? I see that the previous owner used them (and from that sticker either was sponsored by them or was advertising for them). While one could understand some bias....if the mechanic misrepresented the car on the PPI report you rightfully paid for there is your first stop. Dan seems to have a very good rep here, surely they'll stand up to their work.
Yes, Dan has a good rep. The motor is strong if that's any indication.

What can I do at this stage though...? Taking people to court is going to soak up more money and time than I have the stomach for at this stage. And it's going to prolong my angst. F*ck (can I say that here?).
jdistefa is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:23 PM
  #68  
jdistefa
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
jdistefa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Onterrible
Posts: 6,960
Default

Originally Posted by mhm993 View Post
Am I out of line asking the purchase price?
I can't admit that here, I'm too damn embarassed. Just think $8-10k too much given the value of the parts and a good motor.
jdistefa is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:27 PM
  #69  
Nuff
User
 
Nuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 497
Default

That really sucks. I feel for you!
Nuff is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:28 PM
  #70  
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
DC from Cape Cod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,535
Default

If the car was that bad and the PPI did not catch it you may have recourse there.

I find it amazing that the car could be in such poor condition and the PPI didn't pick up any of it. Did he even look at the car?

However, if the damage wasn't so obvious and the PPI guy missed it, is it not possible that the PO missed some of it as well. Was he the original owner?

In my mind, track car = paint is a write-off and you will find high wear and tear items on the car.

The real issue is the magnitude of the other items, who knew about them, what EXACTLY was said in the emails and what is a reasonable expectation for a track car's condition.

I would go first to the PPI guy....he has insurance.
DC from Cape Cod is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:29 PM
  #71  
Ag02M5
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Ag02M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,507
Default

Hope you get it resolved. If you need some cash to get it in proper form, I'm patiently looking for evo uprights.

Good luck.

RT
Ag02M5 is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:29 PM
  #72  
NP993
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
NP993's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,053
Default

Originally Posted by jdistefa View Post
What can I do at this stage though...?
Here's my advice: Don't let a few condition issues ruin your fun. You bought this car to use for DE's, right? And we can assume that if you wanted a garage queen, you wouldn't have bought a track car, and that therefore some cosmetic condition problems aren't a big deal to you?

Go through the car, and make a list of the parts you want to replace. Clean the car thoroughly, dry out the carpets, order some new rubber seals and whatnot, put two coats of color wax on the car -- my car is black and has 95K and without black wax, every little imperfection becomes glaringly obvious, and there are plenty -- and then see if you can just enjoy it. I doubt it's been in an accident; having a door re-sprayed does not mean that it was wrecked, only that the door needed a respray for some reason.

It sounds to me like you're reacting very strongly to a few problems that you weren't expecting, but which ultimately are either superficial or easily fixable. It's a normal reaction when you're caught off guard. But it's also a reaction that can take on a life of its own that ends up being totally out of proportion to the actual problems, and ruins your ability to enjoy the car. And again, if you can't live with a car that has a lot of scratches and stone chips, you should sell it and buy a low-mileage garage queen. Otherwise you'll never be happy, and shouldn't have bought a DE car in the first place.
NP993 is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:35 PM
  #73  
Bearclaw
User
 
Bearclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Posts: 1,923
Default

Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Go through the car, and make a list of the parts you want to replace. Clean the car thoroughly, dry out the carpets, order some new rubber seals and whatnot, put two coats of color wax on the car...
...and sell it. Call it "lessons learned" and try again.
Bearclaw is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:36 PM
  #74  
jdistefa
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
jdistefa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Onterrible
Posts: 6,960
Default

Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Here's my advice: Don't let a few condition issues ruin your fun. You bought this car to use for DE's, right? And we can assume that if you wanted a garage queen, you wouldn't have bought a track car, and that therefore some cosmetic condition problems aren't a big deal to you?

Go through the car, and make a list of the parts you want to replace. Clean the car thoroughly, dry out the carpets, order some new rubber seals and whatnot, put two coats of color wax on the car -- my car is black and has 95K and without black wax, every little imperfection becomes glaringly obvious, and there are plenty -- and then see if you can just enjoy it. I doubt it's been in an accident; having a door re-sprayed does not mean that it was wrecked, only that the door needed a respray for some reason.

It sounds to me like you're reacting very strongly to a few problems that you weren't expecting, but which ultimately are either superficial or easily fixable. It's a normal reaction when you're caught off guard. But it's also a reaction that can take on a life of its own that ends up being totally out of proportion to the actual problems, and ruins your ability to enjoy the car. And again, if you can't live with a car that has a lot of scratches and stone chips, you should sell it and buy a low-mileage garage queen. Otherwise you'll never be happy, and shouldn't have bought a DE car in the first place.
Noah - you're missing the point. The issue is one of honesty, transparency, and ethics. I can and will do all the above, but some of the problems aren't trivial.

If I'm reacting excessively (and that's one reason I'm posting here - to get the group gestalt) then others will chime in .
jdistefa is offline  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:48 PM
  #75  
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
DC from Cape Cod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,535
Default

It may be an issue of honesty, transparency and ethics for you....but all we have is "he said, he said" so we can hardly get in the middle of that, can we?

If the issues were substantial, blame the PPI guy for missing them. If the car is as bad as you say it is then the PPI guy failed and that is a lot easier to pursue than the PO.
DC from Cape Cod is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just got deeply scr*wed....


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: