Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Just got deeply scr*wed....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,792 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Wow, wow, wow Matt...the condition of the car sounds severely misrepresented. I don't know about cleaning someone else's mess up unless you're compensated with worthwhile $$$. The seller and the shop that performed the PPI need to take responsibility here if the car was in fact misrepresented and either compensate or take the car back. I don't know about you but I have a hard time believing that I could learn to love a car born out of such a transaction.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:55 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
It may be an issue of honesty, transparency and ethics for you....but all we have is "he said, he said" so we can hardly get in the middle of that, can we?

If the issues were substantial, blame the PPI guy for missing them. If the car is as bad as you say it is then the PPI guy failed and that is a lot easier to pursue than the PO.
Yeah, well the whole point is that he didn't say.

I'm not the type to 'pursue' anyone... I expect people to do the right thing (sounds naive, I know). Like I said, it's a lesson and an expensive one.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:59 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Wow, wow, wow Matt...the condition of the car sounds severely misrepresented. I don't know about cleaning someone else's mess up unless you're compensated with worthwhile $$$. The seller and the shop that performed the PPI need to take responsibility here if the car was in fact misrepresented and either compensate or take the car back. I don't know about you but I have a hard time believing that I could learn to love a car born out of such a transaction.
I know, I know. Unfortunately Larry has made it abundantly clear that there will be no such compensation.

...And I should clarify that I'm not posting this as a 'negotiating' strategy as someone previously speculated. I would say my intent is group psychotherapy.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:03 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

My point was that we have no idea what exactly happened between you two.

There is nothing wrong with opening up a discussion with the company your hired to do the PPI...it doesn't make you a bad person. Or you can keep on living in Never-never land and dropping $8,000 when someone doesn't do the job you paid them to do.

No offense intended but you can't expect us to take sides in this without proof and, use it or not, you DO have a legitimate means of addressing this issue via the PPI company.

Either way...good luck.

Edit: I re-read this post and felt it necessary to clarify that I really mean no offense with my comments....

Last edited by DC from Cape Cod; 06-12-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:10 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 ( or is it 5 or 10 by now? ) on the PPI. That's where the buck stops.

There is no accounting for sellers' standards. That may be as clean as he keeps his cars and he genuinely sees no problem with it. Totally normal, nothing to disclose.

My P.O. said it didn't burn a drop of oil and had had a top end rebuild. Burns a normal amount of oil and has new valve covers. I want $10k too.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Default PPI Guy

Matt, you saw my post on my 97 C2S. I'm about 15 minutes from Jacobs garage, my plan was to take it to them for the 100K maintenance, oil change and use them on a regular basis, solely on the good word I've read here on Rennlist.

I don't think you need to bring about a lawsuit, but it wouldn't hurt to share the 'hit list' of mistakes with them. Perhaps Dan is not aware of it at all, it's his reputation and from what I've learned, they make customers happy. I'd be willing to bet they would take care of some of the issues.

Now if you want to bring it back to CT, you're welcome to stay at our place while you get the work done (and if you're nice, I'll let you drive my car while i'm at work...just stay away from my wife).

Last edited by Academictech; 06-12-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed: venting to this degree without looking to determine who's responsible here smacks of passive aggression.

It seems increasingly clear to me that if you had a PPI done, and such glaring deficiencies were missed, a come-to-jesus conversation should be had with the PPI shop. The issues you've raised do not appear to be "details" missed or judgment calls. These are things that are apparent to the naked eye (with macular damage, so you say). You forked over your $300, a mechanic worth his salt that's willing to accept such a fee should own up to his work.

You did have a PPI done, right?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:13 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, sorry to learn of your misfortune. I know you are a standup guy and you were true to your word when I bought your old 996 3-spoke steering wheel......(still looking for a used airbag for this wheel) I hope you'll find some resolution to this mess and eventually be at peace with it.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Academictech
I'll let you drive my car while i'm at work...just stay away from my wife.
Pics?

Andreas
Old 06-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

LOL...Absolutely not. I've read what the likes of some of you Rennlisters do with those pictures.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:16 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, I'm going to take a pass at parsing this list...

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Good:

-Great motor, RS flywheel & clutch (full rebuild 4k ago)
-Cross coilovers
-DAS rollbar
-RS splitters & tail
-No apparent tub damage
-Atiwe s/w
-Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in reasonable condition
-Gt3 seats with B/K brackets in good condition (surprisingly)
Those are some nice, and expensive, parts. Easy to forget given the other damage/wear, but still -- I wish I had most of that stuff on my car.

Abysmal:

-The wheels are not the ones pictured in my correspondence with the PO. Pics are posted earlier on this thread. The wheels on the car are scratched, chipped, battered track wheels with no center caps. I can't wait to spin them to see if they're round. I would say they're worth $500 at best.
The seller should reimburse you for having sold the car to you not with as-described parts. This is something I'd file a small claim for, if only for the sake of justice.

-Scratches to metal on the driver's door. Paint chips to metal and rust bubbles on the cowl.
Any higher-mileage 993 is going to have a few paint chips down to the metal. Mine did when I bought it with 84K miles, and it had never been on the track. This, to my mind, is an illegitimate complaint. Get some touch-up paint and deal with it. Remember: you bought a higher-mileage track car, not a garage queen. Don't move the goal posts after the purchase.
-The PO told me that the car had not been in an accident, yet this is clear evidence of respray on the driver's door.
A resprayed door does not mean an accident. It could have been a vandalism repair, etc. Did the PO know the door had been resprayed? When I bought my car, I found that the front bumper and hood had been resprayed for stone chips, and the PO had no idea. But it didn't bother me...because I bought a driver, not a garage queen. A resprayed door on a track car shouldn't bother you, either.
-Twisted front hood - literally the driver's side support beam is so twisted that the hood will not seal on that side... There is superficial corrosion everywhere in the trunk, including a puddle of water next to the gas tank (significant corrosion here) indicating that this is not a new (or presumably unrecognized) problem.
This is of course not good, and ideally the seller should compensate your for the damage. This should be added to a small claim if he's unwilling to pay.
-All external seals (bumper, cowl, door handles, window frames, headlight lenses, sunroof) are dry, cracked, pieces missing (cowl). All will need replacement.
Another crappy thing. The car has obviously been stored outdoors. The PPI didn't mention this?
-I asked Dan to instal some EVO uprights I had, and found at the time that I also needed to replace the battery, front rotors, front bearings, one ball joint prior to driving the car. The rear rotors are just above spec - will need to be replaced after one track day.
Okay, so this is EXTREMELY difficult to believe: You had a PPI done by Dan Jacobs, then you bought the car, and then you asked the same guy -- Dan Jacobs -- to install a part on the car, whereupon he discovered that the car -- the same one he had just PPI'd -- needs a new battery, rotors, bearings, and a ball joint? This simply makes no sense.

Did you, or did you not, have a PPI performed by Dan Jacobs before buying the car?
-Front right wheel liner is loose, rubber seal missing, flaps against the tire
-Left rocker panel loose, tons of gravel and beaded rubber jammed up underneath the last 6" of trailing edge.
-The interior was an absolute embarassment. It had never seen a vacuum cleaner, there was gravel and junk everywhere
All of this is small potatoes.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:23 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah
Okay, so this is EXTREMELY difficult to believe: You had a PPI done by Dan Jacobs, then you bought the car, and then you asked the same guy -- Dan Jacobs -- to install a part on the car, whereupon he finds that the car needs a new battery, rotors, bearings, and a ball joint? This simply makes no sense.

Did you, or did you not, have a PPI performed by Dan Jacobs before buying the car?
Noah,

I appreciate the intent of your feedback, and I can assure you I'm not being deceptive or disingenuous. It is what it is, and I have the work order to prove it. And yes, to reiterate - I had a PPI done at Dan's shop.

You're right, a few of the things listed are "small potatoes", but they contribute to the overall impression of the car which is poor. It speaks to the values of the person that owned the car, and it also makes me worried about what else I'm going to find.

Again, thx for taking the time to post your thoughts - it's helping me to think about my reaction to this.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:29 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately Matt is most likely way to far away to pursue action against either party (PPI shop, seller). I'm not an attorney (nor do I play one on TV, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn recently) but it is my legal opinion that you definitely have a case against both parties. The seller, for what sounds like a complete misrepresentation of the item at hand. Now a judge may or may not quote you Caveat emptor unless you can prove an absolute attempt to defraud. Now if you paid a shop for a service and they completely bungled that service (you'd have to prove what it was you expected to receive in that report) then I would say you'd have an easy time getting restitution for your losses.
I'd say it's worth a call to a good attorney.

If its any consolation, the PO of my car sort of "forgot" to mention quite a few things about my car, and without PPI and site a time to drive 1000 miles home, its turned out to be the best car I've owned!!! So............for whatever thats worth
Old 06-12-2008, 09:29 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt, it seems clear that the seller misrepresented the car, and significantly. It sucks, there's no doubt about it. I was you, I would be pissed at the seller, and at the shop that did the PPI. At the very least, it seems to me that you should call the shop and demand at a minimum to be reimbursed for the labor cost of the Evo install and *all* the cost of the associated work -- all the stuff that they should have caught on the PPI, but didn't. You paid them for a PPI and then only days later they discovered that the car needed a bunch of mechanical work -- well, what the hell were they doing during the PPI? Having a few beers? A PPI is not a job to slack on. Thousands of dollars depend on it being done correctly, and it sounds like they failed in a big way.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:30 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Academictech
LOL...Absolutely not. I've read what the likes of some of you Rennlisters do with those pictures.
Who, me? Never.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Just got deeply scr*wed....