Sponsored by:

Sumitomo HTR ZIII, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Just ordered a set of the HTRZ III for my new 993 Cup wheels. This thread is making me feel a lot better about the purchase. So hard to go off of so few TR reviews even with the very strong test results.

Time will tell...
I just purchased mine as well. I talked to a guy at TireRack about Khumos and a few others and he recommended the HTRZ IIIs... eventhough some of the others would have given him a higher commission, so I feel pretty good about it.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:42 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Denise993
I just purchased mine as well. I talked to a guy at TireRack about Khumos and a few others and he recommended the HTRZ IIIs... eventhough some of the others would have given him a higher commission, so I feel pretty good about it.
Don't worry, we are not trying to take your money. One thing I have learned in this job is that price does NOT always mean quality...

Take a look at our test results (again). You can see how well they held their own against tires much more expensive:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...irePageLocQty=

When we tested them our track pros were FLOORED at how good they did for their price. We felt wet traction was a bit deficient as well, but only at track levels of driving. For street use it was just fine.

As for being a "no name" tire as mentioned before, they are far from it. They were formed in 1909 by Dunlop and hold a majority equity in the company now. The two have been sharing technology ever since. As well as making their own tires, Sumitomo Rubber Industries owns Falken and also produces many of Goodyears tires in the Asian market. Don't thing they share technology? Take a look at the tread designs of the HTRZ III and the Dunlop Sport Maxx. Or the HTR Z II and the Sport 9000. Too similiar to be co-incidence. They are also one of the top golf and tennis ball makers in the world as well as a leader in rubber stoppers for the medical industry too.
http://www.srigroup.co.jp/

Right from their website:

Major Group Companies SRI Sports Ltd.
SRI Hybrid Ltd.
Dunlop Falken Tyres Ltd.
Goodyear Japan Ltd.
Dunlop Goodyear Tires Ltd.
SRI Tire Trading Ltd.
Dunlop Sports Ltd.
SRI Engineering Ltd.
SRI Research & Development Ltd.
P.T. Sumi Rubber Indonesia
Sumirubber Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.
Zhongshan Sumirubber Precision Rubber Ltd.
Sumitomo Rubber (Changshu) Co., Ltd.
Sumitomo Rubber (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. Consolidated Sales in 2006 ¥534,086 million Main Businesses Tires Business In the Tire business, Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd. manufactures and markets tires under the Dunlop, Falken, Goodyear, Sumitomo and Ohtsu brands. In addition to overseas subsidiaries in China and Indonesia, the Group carries out tire production and sales in Europe and North America in joint ventures with The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company. Moreover, we are constructing a tire factory in Thailand with the goal of starting operations at the end of 2006. Sports Business In the Sports business, SRI Sports Ltd. carries out operations. SRI Sports manufactures and markets Dunlop brand golf clubs and *****, and tennis ***** and rackets in Japan, Taiwan and South Korea. In addition, SRI Sports sells the international SRIXON brand golf ***** and clubs all over the world. Industrial and Other Products Business In the Industrial and Other Products business, SRI Hybrid Ltd. and Sumitomo Rubber carry out operations. In Japan, the Group produces marine dock fenders, blankets for offset printing presses and materials for sports facilities such as artificial turf. Overseas, the Group manufactures and markets natural rubber gloves in Malaysia, precision rubber parts for office automation equipment in China and bed-related products in France and Germany. Furthermore, we are constructing a factory in Vietnam for precision rubber parts for office automation equipment that is scheduled to commence operations in October 2006.

FYI.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:32 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Doh! Should have put your name on the order.

Thanks for the info Damon. Suffice it to say that the Tire Rack review gave me the confidence to buy a new tire with little historical data.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:01 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the great info Damon! I continue to be impressed with my Sumi's and will be buying another set for sure.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:31 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
Thanks for the great info Damon! I continue to be impressed with my Sumi's and will be buying another set for sure.
+1, still very pleased with the ride and performance, but where's my kick-back check?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

+2!

It snowed today (1/8in) & yesterday, & I was forced to drive the C4, better then expected! I'm super happy with this tire!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rough, being "forced to drive the C4" really rough
Old 03-28-2008, 03:00 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by Amfab
Yeah, please accept our condolences.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
Originally Posted by prshguy
Yeah, please accept our condolences.
LOL! I didn't even think as I typed it, I sound like a Blowhard! What I was going to say is, " We traded in our EVO 8 (great snow car) for a Mini Cooper S, & our house heater broke, & my GF had to stay home for the heater guys. Since the cooper S is "her" car, & only has 8mi on it, she would not let me take it to work, this then forced me to use my DD C4 with summer tires on it, to forge out in the snow.

FWIW, it was a 2hr commute, that is about 35mi, & takes on average 40min.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:54 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Well.....okay. That sound more like it.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:02 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Just got off the phone with Damon at TR and purchased a set of these after reading through this thread and speaking with Damon.

I'm having them mounted and balanced this Friday. Hoping to have the same good experience as everyone else.

John
Old 04-14-2008, 07:53 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Just got my new set from TR. replacing my p-zeros. Very pleased. quiet and handle great for the street at least. If they wear as well as the p-zeros they will be an excellent value and I'm hoping for even more tread life.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I really like mine so far, but only ~500 miles. Nice thick rim to protect the wheel. Sidewall is not particularly attractive, for those concerned about such things. The word "outside" is prominent as a mounting direction. I might have suggested 'inside.'

As with most things, only time will tell if these are a good tire. Rarely does the less expensive tire option have no downside or compromise - but there is always a first time!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:06 PM
banzai993
Racer

Just bought a set of new wheels for my '96 C4S (18" hollow spoke twists) and was told to check out these tires.. sounds like a no brainer.

seems like all you folks recommend TR? they the best/fastest place to get these?

also what should I expect to pay a local decent place to mount/balance etc these thigns?

thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 01:57 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by banzai993
Just bought a set of new wheels for my '96 C4S (18" hollow spoke twists) and was told to check out these tires.. sounds like a no brainer.

seems like all you folks recommend TR? they the best/fastest place to get these?

also what should I expect to pay a local decent place to mount/balance etc these thigns?

thanks
Damon was very helpful. Knows his stuff and won't try to force any one tire on you. Here's his contact info.

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/affiliates/l...sp?AFFCODE=AQ5

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTR ZIII, any good?