Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sumitomo HTR ZIII, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Nickels
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mounting & Balance was $80. If you click the link in Tire Rack, they usualy give you the price from their preferred installer.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:50 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by banzai993
Just bought a set of new wheels for my '96 C4S (18" hollow spoke twists) and was told to check out these tires.. sounds like a no brainer.

seems like all you folks recommend TR? they the best/fastest place to get these?

also what should I expect to pay a local decent place to mount/balance etc these thigns?

thanks
I'm a careful/frugal guy and TR has generally had the best prices. They will provide you with a list of recommended installers in your area. You can elect to have the tires sent straight there or delivered to you. Cost me $100 here in CA for mount, balance, disposal.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:05 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

I met a guy with these on his 993 at a local PCA meet and he really liked them. I started looking into them myself. It looks like Tire Rack is the main distributor (I did not find any local resellers in my area, I have nothing against Tire Rack but I like to give local B&M's my business.

I have two cars right now that are just about eaten up their tires. I have a second set of rims for Auto-X so I don't need super stickies but something that is safe on the road (for a sports car) and also something suitable for commuting.

Sounds like I should give these a go.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
I met a guy with these on his 993 at a local PCA meet and he really liked them. I started looking into them myself. It looks like Tire Rack is the main distributor (I did not find any local resellers in my area, I have nothing against Tire Rack but I like to give local B&M's my business.

I have two cars right now that are just about eaten up their tires. I have a second set of rims for Auto-X so I don't need super stickies but something that is safe on the road (for a sports car) and also something suitable for commuting.

Sounds like I should give these a go.
I think that was me, on the tour.
You might not like them, as you were running Pilot Cups, they don't have that kind of grip.

They got about 800mi on them, and so far so good. Did a Auto-X this past Saturday with them, they were very progressive, good feedback, & seamed to hold up, I let my friend drive the car also, we got about the same times. Best times of the day in "race" cars was high 49 sec, my best in a STOCK car was 57sec. I ran first when the track was still cold, vs the afternoon when it was 70deg out. I feel I could have got sub 55 sec in the afternoon.

I do feel they do not have the ultimate grip of S02-S03's but are really close, & are better for freeway & normal driving.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:35 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I think that was me, on the tour.
You might not like them, as you were running Pilot Cups, they don't have that kind of grip.
LOL. Yes, I do believe that was me.

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
They got about 800mi on them, and so far so good. Did a Auto-X this past Saturday with them, they were very progressive, good feedback, & seamed to hold up, I let my friend drive the car also, we got about the same times. Best times of the day in "race" cars was high 49 sec, my best in a STOCK car was 57sec. I ran first when the track was still cold, vs the afternoon when it was 70deg out. I feel I could have got sub 55 sec in the afternoon.

I do feel they do not have the ultimate grip of S02-S03's but are really close, & are better for freeway & normal driving.
Awesome. I'll probably fit some NITTO's or maybe 615's on my 18" thrasher rims for Auto-X this year (if I ever get the weekend time to run one ).

You definitely made me think about these tires and I've been looking for a local source. I guess I can just get TR to send me a set and get a local shop to mount them.

PS. The cubs are effing scary in the rain! Thank goodness we don't get much of that up here!
Old 04-15-2008, 03:45 PM
techno99
Racer

Ran the HTRZIII at a 2 day DE weekend. While not as fast as the Pilot Sports they replaced, they had no bad traits to complain about. I'd buy them again.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:19 PM
baron95993
Pro

Roger,
I just order those tires which will be my second set. I LOVE THESE TIRES! I got about 15,000 miles out of the first set. The new ones are on the way. I found them on the internet for 95.00 dollars per tire. The tire place here in Texas mounted and balance for 126.00 a nice deal I think.
Baron
Old 04-15-2008, 05:22 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Baron,
That's good to hear, everything so far points to these being a good tire and a great bargain. Want to share where you found them for $95!?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

based on the posts, these htrz IIIs must be a huge improvement over the IIs and their flimsy side walls. I got a wopping 4-5k or so out of my backs, htrz IIs, and it's not from doing burn outs, just spirited driving. I guess spirited driving means getting the back end out a little.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:59 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Don't have experience with the IIs but did not hear very good things about them. My experience with the IIIs has been very satisfactory thus far and appears to be borne out with other users both on street and track.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:07 PM
baron95993
Pro

Tirerack.com Plug in your tire size go to the 7th page about half way down. I stand corrected they are 94 bucks.Good luck.
Baron
Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 AM
banzai993
Racer

well I called my local tire/wheel guy (Perfect Performance Roswell GA) and told them I was looking at the Sumis.. he agreed they were best for the $$ .. told me he would research price / avail etc.. I told him I saw that TR had them on line in GA for 1 day delivery for $710 delivered.. he said he woudl check it out.. called me back in 10 minutes said he called his supplier and that TR had the best price and availability and ordered them for me delivered to his shop paid on his account and will be installing them on my wheels/car tomorrow for $100...

God Bless America and excellent customer service. Rock on.

I am way glad I heard about these and checked the board.. saved me easily $300
Old 04-16-2008, 11:30 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by banzai993
well I called my local tire/wheel guy (Perfect Performance Roswell GA) and told them I was looking at the Sumis.. he agreed they were best for the $$ .. told me he would research price / avail etc.. I told him I saw that TR had them on line in GA for 1 day delivery for $710 delivered.. he said he woudl check it out.. called me back in 10 minutes said he called his supplier and that TR had the best price and availability and ordered them for me delivered to his shop paid on his account and will be installing them on my wheels/car tomorrow for $100...

God Bless America and excellent customer service. Rock on.

I am way glad I heard about these and checked the board.. saved me easily $300
Isn't this a great place! Love it. Come back when they are on and let us know what you think.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:36 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Quick update. Had my Sumi HTR Z III's mounted and hi-speed balanced on Thursday. I also decided to do a four-wheel alignment as my front tires were showing some strange wear patterns on the inside edge.

I put about 150 miles on the car in the last two days. I have to say for street driving I'm really enjoying these tires.

Grip and handling seems fantastic, much better than my previous Continental ContiSport Contact 2s.

Can't comment on road noise yet as the weather has been so nice here in NE that I've had the windows and sunroof wide open. :-)

All in all I'm very pleased. Will update in a month or so with more miles on them.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:40 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

After reading this thread I ordered a set for my M Coupe. Can't beat the price, we'll see how they drive.

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTR ZIII, any good?