Sponsored by:

Sumitomo HTR ZIII, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by friar93
thanks....I just wanted to make sure I was ordering the same tires....my 17" are only $99. wow. cant wait to try them out.
Ah gotcha. The price cannot be beat. I will be ordering a set pretty soon as well.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:16 PM
timabe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best bang for the buck IMHO! Highly recommend.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Glad to hear that overall the ratings have been this good. For the money these really have turned out to be a great tire.
Damon...

Just ordered a set online and referenced your name.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:25 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Ordered mine too on Friday. Listed your name Damon.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:33 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

After one year and just over 10,000 miles I can report that the HTRZIIIs on my 968 daily driver are wearing like iron, still have plenty of grip, and are just now becoming a little noisier. Several tire gurus have asked me about cupping problems, but I have not had that as of yet.

They are not perfect and there are better tires - but you have to spend almost twice the money to gain a slight advantage. I'll be buying another set.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
After one year and just over 10,000 miles I can report that the HTRZIIIs on my 968 daily driver are wearing like iron, still have plenty of grip, and are just now becoming a little noisier. Several tire gurus have asked me about cupping problems, but I have not had that as of yet.

They are not perfect and there are better tires - but you have to spend almost twice the money to gain a slight advantage. I'll be buying another set.
+1
Old 05-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put a set on the 993. Very good so far! Only a few hundred miles on them though.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:37 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 482 Posts

Only 2K miles on mine so far. Great in the rain and now that it's finally warming up, they seem to grip pretty well too. Did I mention the price? WOW!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Marco69
Advanced

I installed mine a few weeks ago in my 95 993 C2 and I think they're great - quiet, perform well in both wet and dry conditions. Certainly not a track tire, but you can't touch them in terms of value for the money...
Old 05-04-2009, 05:54 PM
mcfeeley1071
Instructor

Mine will arrive tomorrow glad to hear everyone is liking them. You all convinced me it was the way to go.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:17 PM
MAZ 993
Track Day

Talking

THEY ARE JUST FINE
Old 05-04-2009, 10:12 PM
tabasco
Instructor

Here's my experience with the Sumis.

I have 2 sets of wheels :
- 18" hollow turbo twists with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. = my track wheels.
- 17" original Porsche Targa wheels, with Sumitomos HTRZIII = my street wheels. Pretty heavy combo BTW.

This weekend I was at the track for a DE. I though it would be fun to shave the Sumis a bit on the track and see how they were doing. I found them a bit "greasy" on the street compared to the other street tires I had.
I was a bit reluctant to take the sumis to the track, everybody in the advanced group runs R-compound tires and I thought I'd be super slow.
The weather forecast with showers on sunday closed the deal, as my MPSC are quite bald now, I would take the Sumis.

Well... what a surprise ! I've not had that much fun at the track for a while !
It was like discovering the 993 again.
The steering was very precise, the car was way more balanced than with the MPSCs, it inspired lots of confidence, and I was surprised how much grip I had.
Even though my lap times were probably a few seconds slower than with track tires, I had way more fun.
The tires were so easy to drive that I could try many different things and the learning experience was also a lot better.
You know sometimes you run a track session and you have the feeling you did always the same thing, just run the same boring line. With the sumis every lap was just fun.

I had one session in the rain and they did good, still easy to drive, no surprise.

So for those of you that wonder if the Sumis will be good at the track, a big YES.
And for those of you that run R-compound tires, try once to go back to street tires, you'll love it.

Best money I ever put in tires, considering they're $79 for the fronts and $99 for the rears !

I had so much fun that I'll definitely run them again at the next event.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:59 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Besides the 993, I've now got a set on my daily driver, an 06 E350. They are quieter than the Michelins that were on it and ride better. Only thing I'm noticing is they might not be quite as crisp on turn-in but they are very close and at half the price definitely the way to go.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:08 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to say the Sumi HTRIIs have been great tires for the money, a bit heavier response than the Yokohamas or the S02As I had on before, but these things wear incredibly, I have over 24 kmiles on them.

The only complaint I have is that they are kinda noisy after they are worn a bit–but I hear that is common with symmetrical directional patterns.

I needed to look at something under the car to day and when I got down on my knees to peek under there I was shocked at how worn the inner sides of my rears were. I guess I haven't been under there in 7k miles or so since my last oil change.
They were ready to go any second!

So I ordered a set of HTRIIIs and will have them on tomorrow. I am really looking forward to them, especially with all the good reviews here. For me the only drawback with the Sumis that I had was that they are a bit heavy feeling, but since I spend the majority of my miles on the freeway the lack of nimbleness is more than offset by the fact they don't dart around. So the heavier vibe is actually a plus for me.

Just a reminder: Especially if you have your car lowered at all; take a peek under the rear now and then. The car just chugs along with no problems and you get busy and before you know it 6-7k miles have gone by... The outside tread that was easily visible lead me to think I had another 3-5k before I even had to start thinking about tires. The inside showed that I should have been thinking of it 3kmiles ago
Old 05-05-2009, 04:08 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to say the Sumi HTRIIs have been great tires for the money, a bit heavier response than the Yokohamas or the S02As I had on before, but these things wear incredibly, I have over 24 kmiles on them.

The only complaint I have is that they are kinda noisy after they are worn a bit–but I hear that is common with symmetrical directional patterns.

I needed to look at something under the car to day and when I got down on my knees to peek under there I was shocked at how worn the inner sides of my rears were. I guess I haven't been under there in 7k miles or so since my last oil change.
They were ready to go any second!

So I ordered a set of HTRIIIs and will have them on tomorrow. I am really looking forward to them, especially with all the good reviews here. For me the only drawback with the Sumis that I had was that they are a bit heavy feeling, but since I spend the majority of my miles on the freeway the lack of nimbleness is more than offset by the fact they don't dart around. So the heavier vibe is actually a plus for me.

Just a reminder: Especially if you have your car lowered at all; take a peek under the rear now and then. The car just chugs along with no problems and you get busy and before you know it 6-7k miles have gone by... The outside tread that was easily visible lead me to think I had another 3-5k before I even had to start thinking about tires. The inside showed that I should have been thinking of it 3kmiles ago

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTR ZIII, any good?