Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sumitomo HTR ZIII, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 03:21 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the real-world feedback. I guess at the price there is no harm in trying them until I get to the level that I need (or want) to move up to a more track oriented tire.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:44 AM
tabasco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229
So for those of you who have a good amount of track time on these, what's your opinion?
I love them !

I agree with flatsixforme, they're a great learning tool, very fun to drive.
As I posted before, I have more fun with those tires than with the Pilot Sport Cups. The car is a bit slower (not that much actually), but just more fun.
For the price it's a no-brainer.

They never felt greasy, and I've tracked them in the Texas summer, I think they're actually doing really good at evacuating heat.
flatsixforme, what pressure are you using ? I'm running them with 26-27 PSI cold on my 17" wheels.

-Guillaume

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
I have burned through a whole set with 95% AX/track miles. They were a perfect fit for me as they lasted me almost a full season and were very affordable. They allowed me to do all the track driving I wanted without stressing about my tire budget. Did I have the fastest tire out there, nope, did they perform well enough for me to continue to learn the car and have fun, absolutely! I would have gone for another set but decided to try the new Hankook Ventus V12's for this next track season...they were slightly more expensive and I hope will have a bit more performance. My only negative observation with the Sumi's compared to other tires I've run is that once they got overheated after an overaggressive AX lap they were very greasy for the rest of the laps in that session. I think the more expensive tires might be better at coping with the tendancy to overheat but that's just a guess.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...anyone else have any input re: cooler climes? mongrelcat
I have a set on the front wheels, and have had the car out at + 12 F, with no issues.

The last time I went out, it was about +30 F, and there was a bit of vibration for about the first 15 minutes. I think the tires may have taken a set with the car being parked for a few weeks.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:24 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tabasco
I love them !

I agree with flatsixforme, they're a great learning tool, very fun to drive.
As I posted before, I have more fun with those tires than with the Pilot Sport Cups. The car is a bit slower (not that much actually), but just more fun.
For the price it's a no-brainer.

They never felt greasy, and I've tracked them in the Texas summer, I think they're actually doing really good at evacuating heat.
flatsixforme, what pressure are you using ? I'm running them with 26-27 PSI cold on my 17" wheels.

-Guillaume
Mine have only felt greasy after a big slide/spin/power oversteer situation on an AX lap which allows a bit more aggressive driving than a typical track lap. I will add that we are lucky enough to have "track-like" AX tracks usually around 1.3 miles long with top speeds around 80 mph...so, not what many think of as a parking lot AX. On the track I would think you are right on that they would cope with heat well. I have 18's and found that 28 cold (32 hot) on the front gave me the best grip and the right amount of sidewall rollover while 34-36 cold (38 hot) worked best on the rear. If they shot up to 40 in the rear things were too loose while 36 hot had too much rollover at the limit. I'm guessing you have lower cold start temps because you see track temps 20 degrees or more.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:10 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks again for the feedback guys. For those of you with 17's (tabasco?), what size are you running on the front? I'd like to go 215 or 225 if possible. The car is lowered with stock 7" Cup IIs.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 AM
tabasco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running stock sizes, 205 & 255, and the car is perfectly balanced, no push at all.
I would stick with 205.

My car is a bit lowered (between euro and RS IIRC), PSS9s, M030 sways.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

225's and 285's being mounted tomorrow (thanks, Damon).

If the reviews are even close to accurate, Ill give them a shot at this price point. My rear PS2's are shot.

Anyone care to comment on how many miles of "average" (mix of spirited and routine) driving it takes to get them broken in?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, does anyone know if 295's will fit on a 10" rim?
Stock is 285's, I figure 10 mm won't make much of a difference but I don't want o find out I'm wrong the hard way...

Cheers,

Sid.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:08 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Hey guys, does anyone know if 295's will fit on a 10" rim?
Stock is 285's, I figure 10 mm won't make much of a difference but I don't want o find out I'm wrong the hard way...

Cheers,

Sid.
Yes, they will fit the rim, however you need to check the fender clearance.
A lot depends on ride height and camber ... search is your friend ...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Yes, they will fit the rim, however you need to check the fender clearance.
A lot depends on ride height and camber ... search is your friend ...
Thanks!

Clearance won't be a problem I actually have to put spacers 'cause I'm going from my stock 11" rims on my C4S down to the 10".

Best,

Sid.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:15 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95cab
I'm not convinced yet on the colder/wetter street performance. Both should be expected to be somewhat diminished, so claims that they perform "perfectly as if there was no water on the road" are a little bit tough for me to understand, but then again, I wasn't there. My experience has been that they lose grip in the rain, as expected, lose grip in the cold, as expected, and in cold rain, well...that much worse. Note, however that I drive winding, narrow, low visibility, shoulderless roads, so with absolutely zero margin for error (as in trees and boulders are in the right-of-way on these roads) I'm particularly attuned to my traction. I should post some pics of these roads for those who don't encounter this stuff twice a day with lawn crews, utility trucks and other assorted vehicles coming at you...

Now we're talking cold as in ~40F, since Seattle might not be that cold that often (don't know, only been there a couple times) it might not be such an issue.

All that having been said, I am very pleased with the tire overall and don't push it hard in adverse conditions.
Originally Posted by David993S
I've got a little over 5k miles on my Sumi's (car now put away for winter) and while I have'nt and wouldn't be driving the 993 it in snowy conditions, the dry and wet weather performance has been excellent, and at least as good if not better than my previous Bridgestones.
Originally Posted by Rinty
I have a set on the front wheels, and have had the car out at + 12 F, with no issues.

The last time I went out, it was about +30 F, and there was a bit of vibration for about the first 15 minutes. I think the tires may have taken a set with the car being parked for a few weeks.
Just wanted to followup with my thanks, and my own impressions. It was a very mild Winter here and I made it through with only the Sumi's. Anything above 40* (wet or dry) was great. Below 40* (down as low as 30*) I was very careful, probably more so than I really needed to be, but they did fine. Fantastic, really. I still can't get over how solid the car is to drive in inclement weather.

The previous year we had 3 solid weeks in December where the temps never went above freezing, so I really expected to have to mount some Blizzaks or Hakkapeliittas on my Cup-II's to get through comfortably.

Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,088 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
The previous year we had 3 solid weeks in December where the temps never went above freezing, so I really expected to have to mount some Blizzaks or Hakkapeliittas on my Cup-II's to get through comfortably.

Thanks again.
These cars are amazing in the snow. I had Blizzaks on my C4S for a couple of winters and the car was on rails in the snow. C2s are equally impressive. You just have to watch it when you drive down hill as the weight bias can make the car twitchy. If you don't have snows already, try the Nokian WR G2s.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:58 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
These cars are amazing in the snow. I had Blizzaks on my C4S for a couple of winters and the car was on rails in the snow. C2s are equally impressive. You just have to watch it when you drive down hill as the weight bias can make the car twitchy. If you don't have snows already, try the Nokian WR G2s.
I looked at the sizing for the Nokians and couldn't find a tire that would fit as the rear Cup-II's are 9" wide. At one point I was actively searching for a set of 16" diameter wheels, thinking that I could find a set with smaller widths, maybe 7" and 8". I think maybe a set of four of the same either 16" or 17" x 8" wide, and then using the same tire all around might be the ticket. But before I could track any down December has passed with no snow in sight, so,,,, next year.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:05 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,088 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
I looked at the sizing for the Nokians and couldn't find a tire that would fit as the rear Cup-II's are 9" wide. At one point I was actively searching for a set of 16" diameter wheels, thinking that I could find a set with smaller widths, maybe 7" and 8". I think maybe a set of four of the same either 16" or 17" x 8" wide, and then using the same tire all around might be the ticket. But before I could track any down December has passed with no snow in sight, so,,,, next year.
I know, wacky winter, especially after the one before. They definitely made the WRs in Cup II sizing. I assumed the newer G2s would have kept the same sizing but maybe they discontinued them. You may be able to track down old stock of the WRs.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:22 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
I know, wacky winter, especially after the one before. They definitely made the WRs in Cup II sizing. I assumed the newer G2s would have kept the same sizing but maybe they discontinued them. You may be able to track down old stock of the WRs.
You are right, I had just my mind set on WRG2 or Hakk R's. Here's the reply I got from Nokian a few month's ago.

>> Although we do not make a rear tire option in the WRG2, we do make the front and the rear in the WR. The WR is the only winter tire rated for Porsche and carries the NO designation. I would run the WR in the front and the rear.

Thanks.
Eric

Eric Brigham
Customer Service Manager
Nokian Tyres, Inc.

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTR ZIII, any good?