Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like all 50 are sold

Edit : didn't look close enough, still some avalible

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...mZ120212122306

Anyone in Europe buy one yet ? Where can i get the CD's for europe ?

Edit2 : wondering if these could be used : http://cgi.ebay.de/BECKER-TRAFFIC-PR...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Akerlie; 01-19-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:43 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm getting one of these.. Four stupid questions:

1. Does this unit also work as a normal CD-player? Or do you have to have the cd-changer?
2. How do I know if there are still units for sale or if they are sold out?
3. To where would you hook up the GPS antennae? Would it look cheesy? (I hate antennas)
4. Does anyone have a link to the ebay listing of an appropriate antennae for the GPS to work?

TIA
Old 01-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Akerlie
Looks like all 50 are sold

Edit : didn't look close enough, still some avalible

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...mZ120212122306

Anyone in Europe buy one yet ? Where can i get the CD's for europe ?

Edit2 : wondering if these could be used : http://cgi.ebay.de/BECKER-TRAFFIC-PR...QQcmdZViewItem
If I was in Europe, just get the newer units with Nav, Bluetooth, & iPod support.
Naqvteq still makes TP maps, for Europe, just not for the US

Originally Posted by vhanzon
I think I'm getting one of these.. Four stupid questions:

1. Does this unit also work as a normal CD-player? Or do you have to have the cd-changer?
2. How do I know if there are still units for sale or if they are sold out?
3. To where would you hook up the GPS antennae? Would it look cheesy? (I hate antennas)
4. Does anyone have a link to the ebay listing of an appropriate antennae for the GPS to work?

TIA
1. Yes, & yes, you can use the CDC
2. Porsche will sell you a new unit for $1750, or you can email the seller & find out.
3. Any place that gives a good signal, I'm putting mine up under the top of the dash.
4. The seller can get you the antenna, you can also look at the other post in this thread about the antenna, you need a WICLIC connector, but the unit comes with a converter cable for the normal type antenna.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:20 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Viggo:

I can help with some of these questions.

1. It has a built in CD palyer but you need to fold down the faceplate to load a CD. Also, you'll need to remove your music CD and insert the Nav CD anytime you load in a new destination to the Nav system. Once the destination is loaded you can remove the Nav CD and go back to your music. Bottom line is it's a lot nicer to have the changer but the head unit will play music CDs just fine without it.
2. Try sending the seller an e-mail and see if you get a response
3. The antenna isn't too bad looking but it can be hidden fairly easily (my preference). I put mine under the front dash - a tight fit but do-able and it works fine. Others have put the GPS antenna under the rear deck where there's more room but you'll have to run the wire further. The antenna plugs into the back of the head unit so there are two antenna wires at the back of the head unit - one for the radio and one for the GPS. As long as there isn't any metal directly over the GPS antenna it should work. There are a few threads here on the two installation options.
4. Can't help you here but I have seen them on EBay. Given how cheap the deal is on the head unit you just might want to call Becker and spring for a new antenna from them to be sure you have the right one.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:04 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Stealth and 2Many Cars: Thanks for your advice. I will email the seller directly to check if there are any units left. At that price the unit is a total steal and I would want to upgrade my sound eventually so why not do it in OEM style and then get a NAV at the same time? I'll sort things out from there.. Just hope there are units left...

Is your impression the the sound is improved? I suppose with this headunit you will also be able to make more use of better speakers, if you want to replace the crappy OEM ones..
Old 01-20-2008, 06:59 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

The sound is much improved over the stock 210 units, IMHO, but it is not state of the art by any means.

Be sure to check with the seller about which Nav CD comes with the units as I think he may be selling them with the US maps only. If so, I believe NavTech makes the CDs so they may be able to supply CDs for other areas.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
The sound is much improved over the stock 210 units, IMHO, but it is not state of the art by any means.

Be sure to check with the seller about which Nav CD comes with the units as I think he may be selling them with the US maps only. If so, I believe NavTech makes the CDs so they may be able to supply CDs for other areas.
Yes, and keep in mind these come with rev 1 CDs. 2001.

If anyone needs that cable for the antenna, let me know. I am returning the head unit... they told me the maps were 2006. 2004 I could live with but they are just way too old and overpriced to get the last rev available which appears to be 2004. Too bad
Old 01-21-2008, 11:49 AM
V
Rennlist Member

MarkD, ho much is the latest rev. CD? I thought someone said you could download them from the Becker website? Crazy expensive I suppose? But really at this price, isn't the unit itself worth it?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:58 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

MarkD, ho much is the latest rev. CD? I thought someone said you could download them from the Becker website? Crazy expensive I suppose? But really at this price, isn't the unit itself worth it?
Viggo, Yes!! if they can be downloaded, that would be very cool!
I didn't see that anywhere. I saw a post where someone said they could be bought for a couple hundred USD. That ruined it for me.
I looked and couldn't find anything on becker.de for the older stuff. If anyone has more info please share!
I haven't shipped it back yet but was going to tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:04 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Default Quick update..

Originally Posted by MarkD
Viggo, Yes!! if they can be downloaded, that would be very cool!
I didn't see that anywhere. I saw a post where someone said they could be bought for a couple hundred USD. That ruined it for me.
I looked and couldn't find anything on becker.de for the older stuff. If anyone has more info please share!
I haven't shipped it back yet but was going to tomorrow.
Got a response from the seller. There are plenty of units left .

Now to the questions:

MarkD: I think its possible to download them from the Becker website. At least for us Europeans. I will contact geolab for more info on this and also ask him where to buy the antenna because I couldn't find it when I quickly searched the website.

Regarding the Mhz ODD/EVEN frequency issue, according to Gerts previous post in this thread, I think that would not be a problem for ROW users. Can anyone confirm this? Stealth? How is your installation going? Any news on the antenna?

I will probably buy the unit as is and then source the antenna directly from Becker, together with the European NAV CDs..
Old 01-21-2008, 06:10 PM
m_reagan_s
Instructor

I just bought he GPS antenna for this unit from Becker (New Jersey)- Part no. 1634.003, cost $24.81 plus shipping. Birchenough, Robert [RBirchen@harmanbecker.com]
The have IPOD connection cables as well.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Got a response from the seller. There are plenty of units left .

Now to the questions:

MarkD: I think its possible to download them from the Becker website. At least for us Europeans. I will contact geolab for more info on this and also ask him where to buy the antenna because I couldn't find it when I quickly searched the website.

Regarding the Mhz ODD/EVEN frequency issue, according to Gerts previous post in this thread, I think that would not be a problem for ROW users. Can anyone confirm this? Stealth? How is your installation going? Any news on the antenna?

I will probably buy the unit as is and then source the antenna directly from Becker, together with the European NAV CDs..
You will have to call Navteq for the V2 disk, there are also a few on Rennlist that have them, I'm tiring to get them uploaded to my FTP server, so we can make copies.

It is US spec unit, it is normal FM & AM. But can be switched. No antenna yet, but i did drive the car this weekend, & LOVE the nicer sound of the new unit, it also looks better & is easier to read in the sun & at night.

I have to email the seller to find out what's the stasis on the Nav antenna, I might just purchase it from Beaker USA.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by m_reagan_s
I just bought he GPS antenna for this unit from Becker (New Jersey)- Part no. 1634.003, cost $24.81 plus shipping. Birchenough, Robert [RBirchen@harmanbecker.com]
The have IPOD connection cables as well.
I emailed the seller asking for my $95 back & will be getting it from Becker!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:20 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stealth,
Have you tried the ipod connection yet? I'm having some difficulty figuring it out.
Phil
Old 01-22-2008, 02:26 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Viggo, purchase the antenna directly from becker website in europe (around 25€) and I will send you the cd's and software update no problem

Quick Reply: FIND OF THE YEAR on eBay