993 Forum 1995-1998

FIND OF THE YEAR on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Update...
Received the unit last night, put it in last night.
It is about 1/8in bigger then the 210, so I had to remove the metal radio holder, it had a green wire attached to it, what does this wire do?

It was P&P just removed the old wires, & plugged them in.

The downside, the "antenna" for $95 is not an antenna, but an antenna extension wire, I'm going to email them today, & ask what's up. So I can't test the Nav, but it does sound nice! My display dims & changed when I turned on the parking lights. It also displays PORSCHE when I turn it on, & it has the Porsche box & Porsche Logo on the front, so it IS OEM! It also came with a little bag to hold the face plate, that has the Porsche logo on it.

Even if the Map disk are old, (comes with V1.0) it will still get me to most places I want to go, & I have a nice updated, nicer sounding stock radio!

I also need to purchase the AUX cable, & hook up the iPod, I did see a DICE unit, that will plug in & charge the iPod, but will not control it from the unit. It is also suppose to have some EQ type settings on it.

My thought now, is to replace the CD holder in the center, with the tray, & put a iPod docking unit in there, so I can see what's playing & control it.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:15 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can forget about the green wire and just tape it up out of the way. If you plan on installing the GPS antenna in the rear deck you'll need the antenna extension wire. I put my GPS antenna under the front dash and there was plenty of wire for that. I'll have to check but I think there is a V2.0 available for the maps.

I found both the 220 and the Traffic Pro were a nice upgrade in sound quality over the 210 - they might even have the same audio package.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought V2.0 from Navteq back in January of 2005. As far as I know, it is the latest version available.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
I have one in my car for years now and it is a porsche original mount on the 993.
Problem is the US version that is sold has the radio frequencies in ODD numbers.
So these won't work in europe or elsewhere.
Stealth 993 if you could fire up yours and check the radio frequencies if they scan on PAIR numbers, that would be swell for the other Rlisters, regards
On a Becker, you can change the frequency steps of the US to the 100kHz steps of the RoW units.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:00 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stealth,
I'm doing the same upgrade, CDR210 to this Traffic Pro. You mentioned that you had to remove the can or sleeve as it was too small. Did you utilize a larger can, or go without? Thanks!
Phil
Old 01-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fullbooker
Stealth,
I'm doing the same upgrade, CDR210 to this Traffic Pro. You mentioned that you had to remove the can or sleeve as it was too small. Did you utilize a larger can, or go without? Thanks!
Phil

That is what I found, the sleeve MUST be removed. BE VERY careful, I sliced my finger open quite nicely on the sharp metal. It will just lock into the opening (with out the sleeve), but the last 1/8in has a little fiddling.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:06 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stealth,
Do you have any installation intructions? I thought I remembered something about additional wireing to transmission or? Thanks!
Phil
Old 01-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fullbooker
Stealth,
Do you have any installation intructions? I thought I remembered something about additional wireing to transmission or? Thanks!
Phil
My Nav isn't working, as I don't have the Antenna yet. But for the radio part, I just unplugged & pluged. I can't help with any extra wiring yet, but I think it needs a speed reference signal.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:08 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

There are three "new" wires that you may want to hook up with the Traffic Pro. This was well written up in a previous post and the manual that comes with the Traffic Pro clearly identifies the appropriate pins to use on the head unit.

There is a speed sensor signal wire that needs to be hooked up. The easiest access to a source signal is at the relay for the rear spoiler at the top of the passenger footwell. The Nav needs to know the speed because it helps the unit calculate position when you momentarily loose the GPS signal (like in a tunnel or under a bridge).

The manual also advises you to hook up a reverse indicator. This is to keep the unit from getting confused when you are in reverse. I didn't bother to hook this up and have yet to notice a problem so IMHO this wire is completely optional. If you decide to install it it can be spliced into the back of the CCU.

The third wire is for the night display. I wired this into the ash tray light and now when I turn the lights on the display reverses from black lettering on yellow to yellow lettering on black. I find the darker display far less distracting at night but I also found the display is a bit hard to read when it's just getting dark and I turn the lights on. You should decide if this is something you want - I'm happy I added this.

The last bit of advice is that if you are upgrading from the 210 and have the digital sound system you'll need to jump a couple wires on the back of the head unit to trigger the amp on - otherwise you'll get no sound. Again this is well covered in previous posts. It's a non-issue if you don't have the digital system with the Nokia amp or similar after market set-up.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
There are three "new" wires that you may want to hook up with the Traffic Pro. This was well written up in a previous post and the manual that comes with the Traffic Pro clearly identifies the appropriate pins to use on the head unit.

There is a speed sensor signal wire that needs to be hooked up. The easiest access to a source signal is at the relay for the rear spoiler at the top of the passenger footwell. The Nav needs to know the speed because it helps the unit calculate position when you momentarily loose the GPS signal (like in a tunnel or under a bridge).

The manual also advises you to hook up a reverse indicator. This is to keep the unit from getting confused when you are in reverse. I didn't bother to hook this up and have yet to notice a problem so IMHO this wire is completely optional. If you decide to install it it can be spliced into the back of the CCU.

The third wire is for the night display. I wired this into the ash tray light and now when I turn the lights on the display reverses from black lettering on yellow to yellow lettering on black. I find the darker display far less distracting at night but I also found the display is a bit hard to read when it's just getting dark and I turn the lights on. You should decide if this is something you want - I'm happy I added this.

The last bit of advice is that if you are upgrading from the 210 and have the digital sound system you'll need to jump a couple wires on the back of the head unit to trigger the amp on - otherwise you'll get no sound. Again this is well covered in previous posts. It's a non-issue if you don't have the digital system with the Nokia amp or similar after market set-up.
Mine came with the Porsche manual, & has 0 info on hook up!!!

Also, I have the digital system, & it does trigger the amp, & it also dims when I turn on the parking lights. I just used the factory hook ups.

I don't have the rear spoiler, so where would my speed reference signal be?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:39 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Stealth,

Not sure why you got away with out having to jumper the amp triger but if it works who cares. I wasn't so lucky. I wonder if you had a 220 installed at some point as the 220 uses those wiring mods. I have the no-name Becker Traffic Pro which came with the Becker manual and a complete pin reference in the manual. I'll look up the pin numbers for you tonight unless someone chimes in first.

If the aero kit was a retrofit, even though you don't have a retracting spoiler now you probably HAD one so the relay (or at least the wiring) is probably still there. If it was a factory option then assuming you have a US car I'll bet the wiring at least is there. When you get a chance take a look in the passanger footwell, way up high just above the floor mat, and see if you have a black rectangular box there that is about half the size of a cigarette box. If so, or at least if a plug is there, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Gotta love the internet -

Here's a link to the installation guide for the Traffic Pro. All you guys who bought one without an installation guide will need this to get it installed and initalized. Page 4 identifies all the pins on the back of the unit.

http://www.hktrafficpro.com/4773_Install_US_CD1.pdf
Old 01-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Stealth,
Not sure why you got away with out having to jumper the amp triger but if it works who cares. I wasn't so lucky. I wonder if you had a 220 installed at some point as the 220 uses those wiring mods. I have the no-name Becker Traffic Pro which came with the Becker manual and a complete pin reference in the manual. I'll look up the pin numbers for you tonight unless someone chimes in first.

If the aero kit was a retrofit, even though you don't have a retracting spoiler now you probably HAD one so the relay (or at least the wiring) is probably still there. If it was a factory option then assuming you have a US car I'll bet the wiring at least is there. When you get a chance take a look in the passanger footwell, way up high just above the floor mat, and see if you have a black rectangular box there that is about half the size of a cigarette box. If so, or at least if a plug is there, you shouldn't have a problem.
Nope, the car is 100% factory, & to my knowledge never had a radio upgrade. The top of the unit, does have the pin outs for the back.

Gotta love the internet -

Here's a link to the installation guide for the Traffic Pro. All you guys who bought one without an installation guide will need this to get it installed and initalized. Page 4 identifies all the pins on the back of the unit.

http://www.hktrafficpro.com/4773_Install_US_CD1.pdf
THANKS! I just read through it, well, guess what? I do have the GAL where the radio increases volume with speed, so my wire is already hook up for the speed signal!!!!

WOW, am I LUCKY on this!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:25 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Stealth,

FYI, I think the GAL on the digital system is wired to the amp below the passenger seat - that's why you can turn it off with the controller under the armrest. Check for the GAL wire in the plug at the back of the head unit and if it isn't there you'll need to tie into either the spoiler wiring (if you have it) or the wiring at the amp. Worst case I think there's also a wire at the back of the speedo.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:58 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Update...
Received the unit last night, put it in last night.
It is about 1/8in bigger then the 210, so I had to remove the metal radio holder, it had a green wire attached to it, what does this wire do?

It was P&P just removed the old wires, & plugged them in.

The downside, the "antenna" for $95 is not an antenna, but an antenna extension wire, I'm going to email them today, & ask what's up. So I can't test the Nav, but it does sound nice! My display dims & changed when I turned on the parking lights. It also displays PORSCHE when I turn it on, & it has the Porsche box & Porsche Logo on the front, so it IS OEM! It also came with a little bag to hold the face plate, that has the Porsche logo on it.

Even if the Map disk are old, (comes with V1.0) it will still get me to most places I want to go, & I have a nice updated, nicer sounding stock radio!

I also need to purchase the AUX cable, & hook up the iPod, I did see a DICE unit, that will plug in & charge the iPod, but will not control it from the unit. It is also suppose to have some EQ type settings on it.

My thought now, is to replace the CD holder in the center, with the tray, & put a iPod docking unit in there, so I can see what's playing & control it.
Did anyone find out about the actual antenna for this thing yet?
I also have the cable... which is really nice... but... useless without the antenna

Quick Reply: FIND OF THE YEAR on eBay