993 Forum 1995-1998

FIND OF THE YEAR on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:56 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Can you use the (stock) remote CD changer and have the nav CD in at the same time?
Same Question here.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:01 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for my ignorance, but do you have to read the display, or does a voice tell you when to turn, etc.?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:22 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock changer works with the Traffic Pro and you can use both at the same time. I have music CDs in the changer and just leave the Nav CD in the radio player so I never have to insert it when I input a new destination. The system will read the directions to you (in any of about 4 different languages) and it shows the turns in the display but the display is obviously pretty small so it just shows one direction at a time and without a map overlay. When the Nav is turned off there is a compass pointer that shows North. The display is quite easy to read and I wired in the night illumination (a simple wire to the ash tray light) so when I turn my lights on the display reverses from black on yellow to yellow on black. This works great but the display can be a bit hard to read when you first turn your lights on at dusk and it's not completely dark yet. Oh yeah, the display can also be hard to read during the day if you wear polarized sun glasses, at least with mine.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:38 AM
hddude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if these were free, are they much use if the maps cannot be updated? I understand the maps are four years old and cannot be updated. Does anyone know if that's true?
Old 01-07-2008, 02:58 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

no it is not true.
Maps are updated each year or so.
In europe, we are at version 10,
in 2003 it was version 2
go to becker.de , its in english and they sell antennas direct for 24 euros
type 7820 in the search button or click here and scroll to 7820

http://www.mybecker.com/beckerCms/ww...003&navSeq=239

One more thing, the unit has a built in memory chip.
So when you request a route, the unit reads from the disc and saves it on memory.
You can remove the map disc when the route is saved a minute later or so, and insert a music cd whilst navigation is functioning.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:16 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Can you hook up the aux input like for the 220? Does the display need to be re-programmed such that you can read it at night?

Erik
Old 01-07-2008, 10:38 AM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Geolab,
Is the model number for the one on e-bay 4763 ?
I went to the BeckerUSA site but couldn't find info for model 4763. The updated map cds are from another company; Navteq
which for the 2004 mapset, info is below.

"Porsche 3 CD Map Set 2004.1 $ 199.00

This 3 CD map set includes nationwide coverage for the continental USA. It also includes Hawaii and selected cities in the Canadian provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec. This map set requires PCM2 Version 3.0 system software available through your local dealer. "

Do you know if the one on e-bay has this PCM2 version 3.0 software loaded onto it or can be loaded onto it ??

Thanks for any info,
Glenn
Old 01-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I haven't got the unit yet, actually, I haven't even paid for it yet.

I'm going the iPod route, it's suppose to be factory & work off the CDC. I sent them a email asking if the antenna is factory or aftermarket.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:54 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by glenn '88 944S
Geolab,
Is the model number for the one on e-bay 4763 ?
I went to the BeckerUSA site but couldn't find info for model 4763. The updated map cds are from another company; Navteq
which for the 2004 mapset, info is below.

"Porsche 3 CD Map Set 2004.1 $ 199.00

This 3 CD map set includes nationwide coverage for the continental USA. It also includes Hawaii and selected cities in the Canadian provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec. This map set requires PCM2 Version 3.0 system software available through your local dealer. "

Do you know if the one on e-bay has this PCM2 version 3.0 software loaded onto it or can be loaded onto it ??

Thanks for any info,
Glenn
No, as I mentioned above, the 993 unit on ebay is the 7820, click on the link.
The Traffic Pro and PCM are two different systems. PCM is the double decker 996 uses.
Navteq makes the maps for both Traffic Pro and PCM
Every unit comes with its original disks, you do not have to buy those.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just purchased a Becker TrafficPro (with antenna extention cable) from a 993 Targa owner (got it off eBay).

IIRC during my forum searches, the '996' TrafficPro (subject of this thread) was not the same as the '993' TrafficPro; the CDChanger was different.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:01 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Can you hook up the aux input like for the 220? Does the display need to be re-programmed such that you can read it at night?

Erik
Old 01-07-2008, 02:01 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I haven't got the unit yet, actually, I haven't even paid for it yet.

I'm going the iPod route, it's suppose to be factory & work off the CDC. I sent them a email asking if the antenna is factory or aftermarket.
What do you mean by ipod route, I have the ipod connected to this unit.

The antenna is BOSCH. There is no porsche antenna, or becker antenna.
I bought my unit brand new sealed and with it came with the BOSCH antenna,
The logo on it is the famous circle and an H inside.
24 euros on becker site
Old 01-07-2008, 02:03 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e9stibi

Erik
yes ipod on AUX.

No reprogramming the display, works out of the box.
I feel as if it was me selling the units......
Old 01-07-2008, 02:06 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced a 220 with the Traffic Pro and the audio, including my CD changer, was plug and play so I think the Aux hookup should be the same.

The light on the display defaults to black letters on a yellow background and will stay that way unless you add to the wiring. If you hook up a wire for the night illumination (a simple wire from the head-unit plug to the ash tray light) the Traffic Pro display will reverse to yellow letters on a black background whenever you turn the lights on. I find the bright display a bit distracting at night so I hooked up the illumination, the downside is that when you turn your lights on at dusk and/or like to drive with your parking lights on during the day, the darker display is harder to read in the daylight. By the way, I believe the illumination works the same way for the 220 but in my case the night illumination wasn't hooked up.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:12 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I replaced a 220 with the Traffic Pro and the audio, including my CD changer, was plug and play so I think the Aux hookup should be the same.

The light on the display defaults to black letters on a yellow background and will stay that way unless you add to the wiring. If you hook up a wire for the night illumination (a simple wire from the head-unit plug to the ash tray light) the Traffic Pro display will reverse to yellow letters on a black background whenever you turn the lights on. I find the bright display a bit distracting at night so I hooked up the illumination, the downside is that when you turn your lights on at dusk and/or like to drive with your parking lights on during the day, the darker display is harder to read in the daylight. By the way, I believe the illumination works the same way for the 220 but in my case the night illumination wasn't hooked up.
The display could be programmed to 3 alternatives, I like the number of posts I have

Quick Reply: FIND OF THE YEAR on eBay