Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Anyone notice the Rennlist buyout? (See top of forum for announcement)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:53 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations John and Jen! Thank you for all of the hard work to make Rennlist the great community it has become. I'm sure that the new owners recognize the great things about the board including that community and will continue to support it. Good luck and enjoy the well deserved break.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 PM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Is 6speedonline.com run for profit?

I had no idea these car forums were set up by people looking to make $$$? I assumed you get some software, a server, some volunteer moderators, a few donations and off you go. Shows how little I know.

Nice the people who started this site made something from it, but I hope this new corporate owner fails if they try to extract money from all of us. Maybe PCA could step in and fill the void for an enthusiasts forum?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:25 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the best to John and Jen. Thanks for creating this place.
chuck
Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gobble
Is 6speedonline.com run for profit?

I had no idea these car forums were set up by people looking to make $$$? I assumed you get some software, a server, some volunteer moderators, a few donations and off you go. Shows how little I know.

Nice the people who started this site made something from it, but I hope this new corporate owner fails if they try to extract money from all of us. Maybe PCA could step in and fill the void for an enthusiasts forum?
Of course they are looking to make $$$, its the "new" high tech bubble...social networking websites! If you look as 6speedonline, the software is designed by Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., which is owned by Internet Brands (same as rennlist I suspect). So they are controlling the forum software and acquiring forums as well. Smart move! If you look at their website they have about 40+ websites they own/control so Rennlist will be part of a very large family.

No, I have no idea what it means in the long run.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-03-2007, 12:21 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Hey Phil.....

Originally Posted by Phil
would you prefer we did a secret Santa?
YES SIIRRRR!!!! Will he buy me a GT3??

----- ----- -----

Does anything ever stay the same for a long time?

Good luck to John and Jenn. Now they have time to focus on project Rennwish.

BTW: Did y'all buy a Calendar yet??
Old 11-03-2007, 01:27 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

I think I have a pretty decent understanding of how much work John and Jen put into this project. Whatever the cynics think, I am very happy for John and Jen in a sense that they get to have real lives again after 10 years of this labor.

Whether the list remains the same will be seen in the future. It's not relevant now. What's relevant is to wish John and Jen well and congratulate them on a job well done and the end result that brought all of us together.

John, Jen, thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Old 11-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm also one some of the "other" list that that they also own, & nothing there has changed, all the people in power, are still in power.

My main question is now, that a real company owns the board, why should we pay to be members? It's a corporation now, & not a "Mom & Pop".
Old 11-03-2007, 03:08 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats to John and Jen, you leave behind a great legacy in the Porsche world.

Missing from the FAQ: Will my Lifetime Membership be honored by the new owners?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:24 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi Folks,

As usual - I'm "late to this party" - so I apologize for the delayed reply...!!!

Yep - I keep reading and re-reading this thread, and just - well - thanks... And Mike - got your PM - I'll try to dig out that dead pedal later, OK? It's hiding somewhere!!!

Also....
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I'm also one some of the "other" list that that they also own, & nothing there has changed, all the people in power, are still in power.

My main question is now, that a real company owns the board, why should we pay to be members? It's a corporation now, & not a "Mom & Pop".
Stealth... When I first read your post, I wanted to say thanks.. I re-read it, and again... This probably is gonna be a long answer - as I think you hit on a terrific question. For that - here are my thoughts....

In reading some of the Non-Rennlist Forums where this has been discussed - Jenn & I have been accused of being liars, cheated folks, that each of us "make over $100,000 years alone from Rennlist", I'm a little ba$tard.. Well - it sort of runs the gamut. The truth is, for example - I replied to a post here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-acquisition-discussions/389013-q-and-a-is-membership-going-up.html
where I tried to share what it "costs" for a $17.95 Membership, and I dunno - I'm guessing about 80% of the Memberships are a 1 year? So - that should pretty much flatten the myth that Jenn & I, as that poster "just knows" - that we were pulling down $100K each. I wish were were..!

OK - so much for that issue... Yes - to your question specifically - why would you become a Member under a "Corporate Owner", rather than a site run by Jenn & I.... Honestly? Sure - some folks DID become Members to help out Jenn & I - I know that. But - since 1999, I have tried t remove the feeling of "donating" to Jenn & I - rather than offering "Members" more services and products.

For that - when folks support the site, they get certain posting privileges, access to post classifieds, 400MB of their own Rennlist Member Website, the ability to get an e-mail account as "rennnlist.com", their own photo gallery, etc. What I wanted to do, and think Jenn & I have done pretty well - is remove "us as a donation" - to an "expanded services" value equation. If I look at renewal rates - it seems to work, as usually - the second and subsequent years Memberships are about those "services" - not about Jenn nor I...

Another point I'll make is - frankly - over the past few years - a vast number of new Members have *absolutely no idea who Jenn & I are*! I think that's due to both the size of the site - coupled with the sites growth - both of us, until this week - were too busy trying to run & admin the site, rather than participate on it like you do and others in this forum. That's not a condemnation - but rather, simply *reality*. Many of the folks still have no idea who Jenn & I are - and I know, many of the new folks think Rennlist was of the size, where of course - there was an Admin support staff and an IT department?

So - for that... Yes - for those who initially "donated t support Jenn & I " vis-a- vis a Membership, and if they still, today - that is their only reason for remaining a Member - then yes - there will be some attrition. But honestly - I don't believe that's the case. Remember - Jenn & I don't show up at a New Members house and deliver their Membership package in person or anything!!

I think - or I believe - that most of the folks who are Members see the "value" at several levels... Being something, that frankly - is special on the Internet. This community, these folks, the Members - see and belong to "each other". That spirit, while instigated by Jenn & I back in 1998 - I believe also has manifested itself way beyond simply Jenn & I today. Look around you in this Forum.. There is not a single person who doesn't or won't give you a hand, unfettered advice - and moral support if you need it. I don't write those posts - YOU, and folks JUST LIKE YOU do. Jenn & I are transparent - and have been for a very long time. Jenn & I simply "pave the roads" so this community can traverse and converse.

It really is that simple....

At the same time - yes, it is up to I.B. - not only to adopt that "services" level for "Membership - but rather - excel at it. I believe, if they do that - Memberships will increase. However, it's your prerogative to decide, if they do - and have - whether you and others become members or not...

So sorry for the length of this reply - but your question warranted it.

Good question...

John D.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

I am deeply indebted to this place that John and Jen created. I used it extensively to help purchase my first Porsche and come to think of it, I think John sold me my first mod to my 993 (a pair of clear front bumper lenses). I congratulate them both for making a wonderful place to come for this mania that we call Porsche ownership!

Cheers and Best Wishes!
Old 11-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone want to buy my p-car.com site? LOL!
Old 11-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck John. I find it really amusing that anyone would begrudge the notion of profit resulting from over a decade of hard work. Your site is pretty unique in that you actually can get people to pay to use it - Very rare on the web. I hope you and Jenn cut a good deal that frees you up financially to focus on Project Rennwish, and also gives you some spare quality time to waste chit-chatting on the 993 forum, like the old days...
Old 11-05-2007, 03:46 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Anyone want to buy my p-car.com site? LOL!
If you organized it differently, added content regularly and built discussion forums around Q&As for the DIY stuff, then yes you probably could find a buyer.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:50 PM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrates on the sale, hope it stays the way it is but things do change. Its where I came to learn about the make and the passion its created. I sold my tt last summer to RLister and we still communicate to this day. I am here 2-3 times a day reading and learning from the other members just taking a quick peak and hope to be back in the saddle of ownership. Few of us prob. know each other personally and have only one or two things in common except a love affair with the brand of car but it is indeed a fun site.... If the new owner try to shape the business model as they see fit the results will be reflected in the content of the site. J & J have created something lasting IMO and for the fruits of their labor, I say well done and enjoy.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Larkins
Congrates on the sale, hope it stays the way it is but things do change. Its where I came to learn about the make and the passion its created. I sold my tt last summer to RLister and we still communicate to this day. I am here 2-3 times a day reading and learning from the other members just taking a quick peak and hope to be back in the saddle of ownership. Few of us prob. know each other personally and have only one or two things in common except a love affair with the brand of car but it is indeed a fun site.... If the new owner try to shape the business model as they see fit the results will be reflected in the content of the site. J & J have created something lasting IMO and for the fruits of their labor, I say well done and enjoy.
+1 from this former owner who still checks in every now and again. Congrats J&J.

Quick Reply: OT: Anyone notice the Rennlist buyout? (See top of forum for announcement)