Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Anyone notice the Rennlist buyout? (See top of forum for announcement)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
Yeah, Congrats to John and Jen. They deserve at the end of the day a good pay out. Project Rennwish is a great cause and I bet they have their hands full.

As for the corporation deal, Yeah more resources etc, but at the end of the day the personal touch is always lost in the numbers and the bottom line.
At the end of the day its up to us to keep Rennlist and its spirit alive, no matter what the corporate bean counters have in store.
In a way its sad, its the end of an era.
Good luck to John and Jen who forever I will be grateful.
I couldn't agree more, well put Danny

Congrats to Jon and Jenn, and thanks to them for all they've done (long before I got here), and thanks for what they allowed me to do and experience through this place even when it went against the "rules". You two are tops in my book
Old 11-02-2007, 10:32 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
....wonder if John will keep his 993?
You bet I'm keeping it - 'cept - now I'll have some time to "fix it 'till it's broke" - then fix it again..

Seriously - now that yesterday's announcement is, well - "yesterdays", I'm trying to put everything into perspective - and answer a whole lot of PMs and e-mail (I'm losing ground there, tho' ... But - I want to say thanks for the comments in this thread - they are more appreciated than you may know... Also - yes, it does give me more time to be an "enthusiast" once again, rather than harnessed to a computer and bunch of servers. You know - I haven't had the time to get to a DE for almost two years? And how many RL get-togethers (none?)

And my posts on the forums (just as me) - has dwindled as the site grew. Heck - I used to just be a regular poster in this forum especially..!. I look forward to doing the stuff, once again - I've been missing. Selfishly - I also look forward to not getting home every night - and Jenn & I "strike the pose" (sitting in front of the computers trying to admin a huge site (HA - you thought I was going to allude to another "pose", huh?? ))

So yea - after nearly eleven years - I am looking forward to the transition to having a normal life (whatever that is..??) Just working on my car - driving it - and haaving a free weekend or two to pull & rebuild Jen's 964 engine...

So - anyway - just "thank you..."... I know a lot of you are concerned about the transition, but it will be OK. I love this site as much as you do - so while change is never welcome, I think it will be just fine. And maybe - with a full time IT staff at IB - well actually get some of those danged features I've trying to "get done" for that past years..

JD
Old 11-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Despite some incredible cynical comments from folks who know little about Rennlist, PorscheList and PorscheFans, I'd offer my heartiest congratulations to Mr. & Mrs. Dunkel for the past 10 years of their time, sacrificed vacations, headaches, potential ulcers and a LOT of money spent to develop and fund Rennlist LONG before it was a going venture.

Having been here since 1996, I think you've earned some time off and the chance to help develop this community find its real potential,...

Well Done!!!!
Nicely stated Steve. While I have not been here nearly as long, I do feel like it is a special place and that is all thanks to John and Jenn. I, too, congratulate them.

And I am surprised at the cynical comments. Makes it less "special".
Old 11-02-2007, 11:48 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Good for you, John!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:20 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 355 Posts

When I first came upon RennList.com two years ago I was stunned to learn that it was being managed by two people in their "spare time." Being a former CIO, I have an in-depth understanding and appreciation for the skill and effort that went into making this site what it is and I can say that John and Jen's site stability and customer service are in the top 1% of the sites I have utilized over the years.

When I read John's announcement of the status of RennWish, I had an "Uh-oh!" moment and assumed that this announcement wouldn't be far behind. While I, like many others, am concerned about the "health" of this site under the management of another group, I must offer a sincere and heartfelt "Thank you!" to John and Jen for providing such a remarkable place for the Porsche community to "gather."

I admire your courage in pursuing your RennWish dream and wish you the very best in your efforts.

Kind regards,
TMc

Last edited by TMc993; 11-02-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:35 PM
993 Azul
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjconner
Nicely stated Steve. While I have not been here nearly as long, I do feel like it is a special place and that is all thanks to John and Jenn. I, too, congratulate them.

+1000
Joseph
Old 11-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Delighted for John and Jen

This is the way the story should end....Two folks with a combination of personal funds, loads of sweat equity, the will to survive with unyielding integrity have now reached a road's end after many years of crossroads traveled through.....

I feel certain the sense of accomplisment and value added for John and Jen will far outweigh the financial rewards bestowed on their family......Money does not buy happiness but only facilitates living......

A job well done......
Old 11-02-2007, 01:35 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

What an awesome opportunity for you both J&J!! I cannot believe that anyone would be negative about what you are doing. Disappointed...that's allowed...but not negative. Rennlist WILL continue. It WILL change. The future is never certain and for IB their challenge is to come to understand, at a deep level, what it is about Rennlist that makes it special and leverage and promote that. Try new things..sure! But they are a smart company and they know that the value that is inherent in this acquisition can disappear in a heart beat or two. As long as they give me a reason to keep coming here, I will.

If this means you get to spend more time managing the community and posting...and less time dealing with admin, software and hardware issues...then GREAT!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats John and Jen, you deserve the time off! I hope you got enough for the site to become a frequent poster on the CGT forum with the leftover cash from doubling the scope of Project RennWish.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,270 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Congratulations and thanks for all your efforts creating and maintaining RL. Though I had owned four Porsches prior to discovering the list, my ownership experience was greatly enhanced when I joined. I've leared much about my car and other Porsches and have made good friends through this forum. Chris W. is right...this is a great place!

I commend you for your courage and vision to start RL and now RW. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Last edited by Wilder; 11-02-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:45 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hope they did not sell too cheap & that they will in fact be allowed to run it freely...

was weird john b/c though i know jenn & you have a life outside here... i figured you posted less b/c you maybe had to live above some of the past (unfortunate) bumps we've had here (so became less social). will be good to see more of your humor & frozen rotors round here; frankly it was more fun then. probably the reason this place took off like it did in the first place waaay back when....
Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM
ste993
Pro

Originally Posted by pjconner

+1

Good luck to you both.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2

Your contribution to my enjoyment of my car/hobby is much appreciated, John and Jen! Best of luck in your next endeavor.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Despite some incredible cynical comments from folks who know little about Rennlist, PorscheList and PorscheFans, I'd offer my heartiest congratulations to Mr. & Mrs. Dunkel for the past 10 years of their time, sacrificed vacations, headaches, potential ulcers and a LOT of money spent to develop and fund Rennlist LONG before it was a going venture.

Having been here since 1996, I think you've earned some time off and the chance to help develop this community find its real potential,...

Well Done!!!!

Well saiid Steve, + 1. Congratulations John & Jen. I hope your path for the next 10 years is as rewarding.....

- Jordan
Old 11-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

That's great news for both John and Jenn, its nice to cash out on something that you are passionate about! Congratualtions!

I have some thoughts about the forum because of this change, like:

1 - One of the reason's people would contribute a membership it was personal....we know the owners and how hard they worked so we liked to contribute and defended the list from people who used it without membership....interesting way it workedl. However, when the list is owned by a "larger" company then I bet the % of contributors will go way way down...

2 - There is basically no advertising at the moment. I used to be part of the www.mini2.com group because I really like the Cooper S's. They decided to make more money (or were acquired...not sure) and started to run banner ads all over the place. They even had a large ad on each thread in the second post, you would post a topic and ***bam** an ad was inserted. I quit the list becuase it just go painfull to scroll down a page to get past the ad. However if the revenue for memberships goes down up go the ads...

3- I suspect this list may evolve into a Pelican Parts like environment...no membership fees but the "BBS" as a nice way to keep your customers close at hand.

4 - The list software may become more "social". There are lots of features that are not implemented that a larger IT team can handle that John just did not have the cycles for. It should be interesting to see how it goes..

But all these discussions are for another thread.....best of luck to John and Jen in the future!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: OT: Anyone notice the Rennlist buyout? (See top of forum for announcement)