Sponsored by:

Why Not 993tt, Is it cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 11:03 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand. He is 3000 miles away and I can feel that gravitational pull.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:17 PM
upshift
Advanced

Let me humbly offer my ’95 cab as a trade to anyone on this board that might have accidentally bought a TT. Since we are all well off, and please don’t look at cost comparisons, the difference in automobile worth should be trivial and I will suffer with your 993TT with its added wild tail and open holes while you enjoy the open air of my cab.

Any takers? I'll also throw in a 12 pack of your choice.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:34 PM
nman413
Drifting

Ahhhh, that would be no
Old 09-29-2004, 11:49 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mooty
"My 993 is the debt paid to the little boy who begged his dad to take him to Porsche+Audi North to see the new 1984 Carrera, the teenager who drew 964s in his notebooks, the adult who drove five hours in two feet of snow to see the 993 Targa intro at the Detroit show... I wanted a 911, no frills, no tail, just Butzi's basic shape and as many improvements mechanically as possible, "

that's a beautiful post. kind of similar to my experience. any 911 should make us feel happy and thankful.

Ditto!

I wanted the 911 since I was 4 years old.. and I saved 15 years to be able to walk into the dealership and pay cash for my 'bottom of the line' 96 C2 coupe.. After all that time waiting to own it, I can't see selling it! I have no regrets and still love the car.. I was laid off twice and NEVER thought about selling it (it would be the very last thing I would sell if forced to..)
Old 09-30-2004, 01:49 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That quote definitely says it all. I think we're all very lucky! Whether you have a NA or a TT, it's splitting hairs. Great cars whichever one you've got.

Addison - I didn't upgrade the ECU yet, just enjoying the hybrids for a while. Maybe in a few months we'll do the ECU and hopefully get another bang.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:57 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

When I bought mine, '95 c2's were 50k, and TT's were 100k. I bought it as a junior in college from working and saving since I was about 10. My dad had a salesman acquaintance at the dealer, who took me for a ride as a high school student in a '95 when they came out, and I was hooked beyond belief. Given the extra funds, I definately would have taken the tt at the time. But, the c2 itself was an enormous stretch for me, and a tt was unthinkable. In hindsight though, I don't long for a tt anymore. I'm passionate about driving DE's, and eventually club racing when I get out of school, and have really come to love tracking a rwd car as my driving has developed. I know of 2 people who started out doing DE's with their tt's, and have gone to rwd's (and kept the tt's as street cars, and it wasn't an issue of wanting to track a less expensive car). I guess what I long for would be building/racing a full 3.8 rs conversion. That's my dream car. I follow along with great interest over the 993 club racing rule discussions, as I'd love to race some day in the car I have grown up with, and be competitive in the stock class.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:52 PM
hawk993
Racer

Yes, the cost is twice as much for my car based on Edmunds or KBB. I like the TT, what's not to like? I was just at VIR and on the track with some TTs and they were tearing it up! One guy had a 993TT with track suspension, aero kit, set up for the track and was blistering by the pack, started out in a pack and in a short time caught them and blasted by them again, he was flying by everyone. I had fun too in my stock 993 btw!
Old 09-30-2004, 08:26 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

There is just NO experience like a TT. The very word Turbo can get a real Porsche fan's hands sweaty at the very thought. To go on the road and know that most other cars are nothing but prey. Its a good thought. A problems arises and you light the burners and the problem is a distant memory in the rear view mirror.
I think also there is no real extra maintenence cost with a TT either, that is a myth. In fact the motor is built stronger to handle that extra power so unless you totally abuse the car then it should be only modestly more than a NA car. The turbos go somewhere around 70-100k with proper shutdown. and that is not more than acouple K so all those qoutes about more maintence are just a personal justification. And the RS being for men. a talented driver could get around the track in a TT faster than a RS--- another justificaiton. RS's are rare-- good choice. But I love boost.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:47 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Monique
Well said 993RS. My thinking exactly. In fact, I could get a TT for equal or less $ than a 993RS. A Porsche sales rep in Hamburg helped me make up my mind: "993TT are nice boys toys. The RS is for men"

His words really.
Hehe, easy for you to say!
I chased around half europe for a descent priced and non-modified 993 RS. I think it took me less than a week to realize it wouldn't be possible. The RS is something you buy when there is a opportunity. So now I got a TT, I'm very pleased with it. But I use it in a completly different way than I would use a RS. Just as you said before to me, TT is a toy and RS is for men.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Seljan
Pro

I couldn't decide which one to get!
Old 09-30-2004, 09:56 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

OG. I have not owned a Turbo, YET. A 993tt will probably be my next car, after the, new to me, 98 C2S. I, like you, want to know there are very few other vehicles on the road that can take me. Top Dog and all. Feels good don't it. To step on the gas and blow their doors off or just knowing I can whip em. Great f*%$#king feeling ain't it?

Randy
Old 09-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 530 Posts

Paradiseenb, I think you're right on. That's why I got my (slightly modified) S4 (although I don't believe it count's as a "real" TT on this forum). With that car the fun thing is that nobody expects it. Nevertheless, I will never give up my C4S, unless its for a TT - which is the way most people on this forum probably think.

The only problem is that I have one more spot left in my garage. What to get???
Old 09-30-2004, 10:43 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Randy you are right on.
I think the real anwser to this is to own both, but I cant afford Mods and another
911!
Old 10-01-2004, 12:23 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seljan
I couldn't decide which one to get!
You made the right dicision.

The only problem is that I have one more spot left in my garage. What to get???
We can help you decide. What's your budget. I'm thinking TT.

Randy you are right on.
I think the real anwser to this is to own both, but I cant afford Mods and another 911!
10-4 that. Keeping up two premium cars are more than a wallet full.

Does anyone know the slick way to include multiply quotes in one reply? Enlighten me, please.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:13 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Besides the obvious benefits that OG so aptly described, another benefit of the tt is the mental gratification. I used to leave car shows down-hearted, as I went back to my humble rides. Or I'll have car-envy seeing others driving nice cars on the road. After the RUF, I no longer have auto-inferiority-complex. No more car-envy no matter what car I see on the road, even if I am not driving the RUF at that time. Just knowing that I have such a fine specimen sitting in my garage is sufficient to sooth my psyche.

That's PRICELESS.

CP

Quick Reply: Why Not 993tt, Is it cost?