Sponsored by:

Why Not 993tt, Is it cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 02:17 PM
96C4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CP,

When I was searching for a car, I couldn't find any local tts. Since last March I've been dreaming of two things - tts and California. Might be in Mountain View in Oct. If so, I'll look you up.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:24 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Arrwin mentioned, my C4S was a stepping stone to the TT. The C4S is beautifully balanced and honestly, I like the lines of the C4S better than the TT because of the tail. I also like the sound of the NA better than the TT.

I was just needing a little more power.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:37 PM
AGC
Racer

I guess for me it was a little different, I have never owned a Porsche and had a 91 Testarossa at the time. I spoke to several dealership and people and found that I can only get into a NA 993 if I traded in my Testarossa. I then found luxcarnet (Kim Lewis), who is a broker and I originally spoke to him about a 96 C4S that I was interested in, but unfortunantely it was sold. I had mentioned to him that I needed to sell my Testarossa first to get the Porsche and to make a long story short, he found a buyer for my Testarossa and got me a 96 993TT (10k miles) for a difference of $3k (Testarossa prices were not good at the time). That is the only way I ended up with a TT, by LUCK
Old 09-28-2004, 02:48 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I could afford the entry price of a TT it would be a no-brainer. For me, with a So-Cal house payment and some credit card debt the difference in price between $35k and $65k was just to great. Maybe one day......
Old 09-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess I can rationalize it a couple of ways: too much power with little chance to fully use it, I don't like the tail, heavier. All these things are true. The reason I didn't get a tt is the price delta. If they were cheaper, or I had a windfall, I would probably have one now in my garage.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:50 PM
nman413
Drifting

96C4, I read tts a little differently. Guess I have my mind elsewhere.

Having owned both the TT and C4S, I love both cars for different reasons. In a perfect world, I would have both along with a 997 GT3 . Now I'm just waiting for the NAs to come down more in price so that I can get one...

Addison, is your car done yet??

PS, I cant have just any car I want or I would have a big garage full of cars
Old 09-28-2004, 03:12 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jauder,

I am in the home stretch. Only thing left is the tuning.

Addison
Old 09-28-2004, 03:13 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have gone back and forth about a tt, but a this time am keeping my C4S. I am doing this for several reasons - 1. I have not been able to find a tt as nice as my C4S, for a reasonable amount of money (up to 70 or so). Admittedly, I am very picky. 2. I don't like the looks of the tt as much (the tail). 3. I am not a professional driver and cannot get the most out of my current car, so what the hell am I thinking I need a tt? 4. It would be even more over the top at work. 5. I like turning more than I like going straight, and don't see much difference there. 6. I replaced my 01 S2000 with an 03, because I missed the little, light convertible with no torque. I'd rather have the C4S and the S2000 than only the tt. BTW, taking the S2000 to an autocross in 2 weeks... 7. I think I would be really limited in teh use of the tt around here (couldn't stretch its legs, so to speak), and so, yeah, the on ramp blasts would be a hoot, but other than that, can't see that I could go much faster than I do.

However, I fully admit that if a stunning tt came up for sale and it had all records and was in good shape and a really good price, absolutely I would consider it. Not sure I would buy it, but I would look hard.

Viken had some really interesting things to say some time back as I considered a tt. I took them to heart.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:18 PM
garychios
Pro

993tt is awesome. Just very expensive and alot more failure can occur if not maintained. A turbo car needs a lot more care. I know, I race them. Plus a 993TT is very expensive so, a 993 NA is a better way to enter the super car realm with the looks of a TT. If I had the money, a 993TT would have been my first choice hands down!!! They make a lot more power, have better brakes, and are considered super cars. I have been in many TT's and I dont know what the linear power comment was about, but the TT outperforms an NA engine every way. I have been in worked NA's and they dopnt come close to a TT stock. My friends modified TT's are just very fast. Owning fast cars cost alot of money. The faster they are, the more they cost, not just initially, but maintenance as well.

I hope this helps, if you have money for a TT, hands down, buy one, it is cheaper in the long run with the extra horsepower, body work and brakes, plus turbos repsond well to mods.

Thanks
-G
Old 09-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

1. Too much car for my driving skills and style.
2. Wife wanted a new kitchen.
3. I wanted to retire.
4. Thought the Nasdaq at 3500 was a good buy, after it dropped - coulda had a few TTs.
5. Not crazy about the tail, but could have accepted it.
6. If wife left with her car (not likely), would fill the space with a GT3 alongside the 993. Never instead of.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:23 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Terry, I gotta say #6 bums me out
Old 09-28-2004, 03:27 PM
nman413
Drifting

Terry, "if wife left". You're too funny.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:28 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was first looking at 993's I was under the mistaken assumption that they were going to need a lot care and feeding (ie. be in the shop a lot). I thought that the TT would need even more care and feeding than NA. While I'm always talking about becoming my own mechanic, I never have the time or patience to start taking classes. So that would mean I'd have the expense of a mechanic PLUS the (more important to me) annoyance of having to take the car in all the time. The funny thing is, now that I've owned my 993 for almost 3 years I see how well built the 993's are.

But in addition to that reason, I previously owned a Stage III Nissan 300ZXTT which produced 400HP. While it was a rush at first, it got old never being able to "drive" the car, especially given the stop and go traffic I was usually in. Plus, it started to having problems with the fuel injectors, which ties back to my concerns about upkeep on turbos.

To me my Targa is pure bliss. It has more than enough power for me and has the convienence of a convertible with the security of a coupe. I couldn't be happier (unless they made a wide-body, C4S-like Targa, then I'd be in line for one of those.)
Old 09-28-2004, 03:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,748 Likes on 2,354 Posts

i drove TT extensively. it HAS turbo lag, it's there despite the twin turbo. many people i know are having turbo issues. looking for 2WD. however, that's not to say TT isn't a supercar, it is. but i just like Carrera S and narrow body carerra better.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:29 PM
jdoc7
Pro

I would love to have a TT but cost is way too prohibitive for me. I couldn't swing another $30K-$50K for a car that I only drive 2-3 times a month max, and not at all during winter. I am more than satisfied with my 95' NA. Maybe one day though.

Quick Reply: Why Not 993tt, Is it cost?