Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 07:21 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CP
Wow,

I had the impression that 993 owners are well financed AND willing to spend on their cars. Or I guess the BAR group (Jauder, Kim, Mooty, Pin, Bob, Arnaud, Jeff, etc.) I run with is not representative of other Porsche owners, at least as far as car expenditures go.
I think the BAR crew doesn't know how to count! I seem to have the exact same sickness!

Plus, it doesn't help to have the Devil, err, I mean Viperbob influencing you from such close proximity.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:24 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by adsc4s
I think the BAR crew doesn't know how to count! I seem to have the exact same sickness!

Plus, it doesn't help to have the Devil, err, I mean Viperbob influencing you from such close proximity.
Addison,

You are 100% correct on this one. I think it's a very contagious decease and Viperbob is a latent carrier.

CP
Old 09-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

CP,
I think Addison and you hit the nail on the head....us being geographically located so close to Bob is a double edged sword. It's fantastic to have a guy you trust working on your car....but I'm beginning to wonder if I should just have paychecks direct deposited to him at his shop...hehe....
Old 09-28-2004, 09:13 PM
lowblow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on Arrwin-

My C4S is my 1st Porsche, and it's plenty of car for me. The TT would have been a stretch financially and I didn't want to get surprised with large maintenance costs. In the end, I've learned that the TT's are no more maintenance than the NA cars.

I would rather keep my C4S and purchase another exotic. I'm thinking old Ferrari.....

mike
Old 09-28-2004, 09:59 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Mike, what are maintance costs associated with a Ferrari? I think, no experience, they make a tt's cost look like maintaining a bicycle.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

It's all timing. It might seem like turbos are affordable now, but I bought my car about three 1/2 years ago and paid just shy of what a low-mid mileage turbo goes for today. I'm so attached and "invested" in my car now to a point where I'm pretty satisfied, at least this year......
Old 09-28-2004, 10:36 PM
tlark
Drifting

I just purchased my first Porsche several weeks ago. After months of looking for a tt I just about gave up and was starting to look for a C4. I didn't really want a N/A car because I felt the need to move up after owning a NSX for two years. Nothing wrong the a na993 in comparison to the NSX, its just that I felt the need to take a large step w/asphalt tearing power. Logically it was the best choice to go tt and I turned down a couple of 355s for the twins. A far superior car IMO than a Ferrari of that platform and one of the best cars ever. In addition, I feel the N/A or TT will hold its value much better than others available on the market. Air cooled is classic whatever the year!!
Old 09-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Great thread. I never wanted a 993TT because it just looked like too much car for me! I can barely make excuses for my car at work as it is. I am a Cable TV salesman and it's tough enough showing up for work and the occasional cable install in my C4S. Trying to explain away the TT would have been ludicrous. For those of you that might be thinking "who cares what other's think about what you drive?", I do! I didn't want my peers at work or clients seeing a 993 TT out there with that huge a$$ wing on it. It looks WAY too exotic for my humble job and salary, if you catch my drift. If I was a corporate lawyer or CEO, that would be a different story. I like my small, cute, humble, "compact car". The TT with that monstrous wing didn't fit the bill OR my budget 19 months ago when I got my C4S. I had to sell my 88 911 to get it and only added $24K to the deal, so when people ask what my C4S cost me, I just tell them that it has alot of miles (65k) and it was only $24k and they back off

I will say that I look with lust (as I'm sure most of us do who own a 993 NA car) at a 993TT when it crosses my path. I'll never forget the first time I saw one close up. It was at Summit Point Raceway when I had my 88 911. It was my 1st and only Driver's Ed and the guy next to me came down from NY in an Arena Red with cashmere TT and I was IN LOVE (w/his car)! People came over to him all day like he was a movie star asking questions about the car. He was the only one that day that had one, when they were still relatively brand new. I drooled over that car all day in that magical color and knew one day I would have to have one. Since then, I did the next best thing, I got a "75% TT" in buying my C4S. I can't imagine ever selling this car... unless I change the way I feel right now.

OK, well - maybe for this car (pic below) Yeah, in my heart of hearts I could see myself buying a 993TT-S one day, a long time from now. It would have to be silver, so people wouldn't even notice I bought a new car! I could just tell them that I finally broke down and bought the wing for it. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Steve
Old 09-29-2004, 12:13 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by Midnight C4S
CP, I liked the slightly more subtle look of the C4S sans the fixed tail, I know the tail looks good and it is much needed but it dominates the car lines just a bit too much for me.

HOWEVER, would I trade mine for a really good priced Turbo? You bet your life I would. One can never have too many supercars. And what is not to love about HP. It's a hard? CP in what catagory would you put your car?
Hi Russ,

Sorry for the late response but today was HECTIC.

You know my car already, but just for those who don't, I consiider myself extremely lucky to have my RUF. It's a C2, thus it's light (2,994# with full tank), yet RUF's work turned that into a real monster (426 HP, 438 ft-lb torque, 0-60 in 3.7 sec, 196 MPH top speed). I think I have the best of all worlds. While it now has 106,000 miles on the odo, the mechanicals are about 30k miles. The incredible part is that I paid about what an average 993 would run for the car. Although I had to fix a number of things because of rust problems, the cost to-date is still well below that of a nice 993tt.

Since my daily driver is an M5, I know I will want more power than the NA 993. The RUF eats the M5 for lunch, any day. As this is my first Porsche, I really have no way to compare. I have a hunch that this will be my last Porsche as well.

CP
Old 09-29-2004, 12:35 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Financials are part of the reason I have a Carrera, but only part. Hopefully, that will cease to become an issue...

I honestly don't think I'd enjoy a TT more. Obviously, it's faster in a straight line, but that's about the only advantage for me. Truth is, I find I get used to the speed no matter how fast a car is, and a 993 C2 is a very fast car. I'd get used to the TT's extra acceleration, though I certainly wouldn't mind that problem.

However, I am certain that I prefer the C2's 300 lb lighter weight, and I prefer the RWD handling and the more pure steering feel. The only time I would enjoy a TT more would be when I was accelerating harder than my C2 is able to. While those moments would be fun, the rest of the time (which is the vast majority) I prefer the lighter, more nimble, more raw feel of the Carrera. Even on the track, it's the corners that I find most fun, and a RWD Carrera is at least as much fun through the corners as a TT, IMO.

It's been said that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow. A Carrera is hardly slow, and I can enjoy a greater portion of its performance envelope more of the time than I'd be able to in a TT.

CP, you have the best of both worlds!
Old 09-29-2004, 12:42 AM
nman413
Drifting

CP, now if you only track that puppy....
Old 09-29-2004, 12:58 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by icerbofh
CP, now if you only track that puppy....
Jauder,

The RUF is not track worthy right now.

I'm going to Viperbob's in two weeks to do the rusted steering lines, master cylinder, diverter valve, and a few other 'incidentals'. The RUF should be good as new by year's end. I'll consider your 'recommendations' next spring.

When will your tt be all done?

CP
Old 09-29-2004, 01:18 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by 96C4
CP,

When I was searching for a car, I couldn't find any local tts. Since last March I've been dreaming of two things - tts and California. Might be in Mountain View in Oct. If so, I'll look you up.
Hi Jim,

Mountain View in October would be lovely. It's like....next week!

Definitely looking forward to seeing you again. One word of caution about Mountain View though.... it's only a few miles from Viperbob's place.

Please contact us when you're in town.

CP
Old 09-29-2004, 01:22 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are my reasons:

1. I had enough insurance companies laugh me out the door when I told them I wanted to get a N/A 993. Even with a clean driving record. (22 yrs old)
2. Wanted rear wheel drive.
3. I wouldn't be able to learn what I'm learning now by doing the design and fabrication of my own twin turbo conversion. I actually wanted to start with a bare '72 chassis but ended up working on a running Carrera 2.

I enjoy making things for and modding this car as much as I do driving it.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:53 AM
nman413
Drifting

CP, slowly but surely. I just need turbos, rs mounts and short shifter. Hmm, maybe it's not quite done yet.

Quick Reply: Why Not 993tt, Is it cost?