Why Not 993tt, Is it cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 01:23 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Why Not 993tt, Is it cost?

Hi,

I know I'm on the 993 board, but it seems that we generally regard the 993tt as a very desireable step up. I'm just curious why board members chose to own the NA 993 rather than the 993tt. There's no debate that the tt will out-run the NA cars, and probably deliver better overall track performance as well.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that Rennlisters here have the financial means to own any car they like. Seeing how the NA 993 is not an inexpensive car to start. And modding/improving the car cost more $$$$ than most other cars.

So do you choose the NA 993 because of cost, or other considerations? If it is cost, would you buy a 993tt if you can swing it financially?

Thanks for the enlightenment?

CP
Old 09-28-2004, 01:32 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is a question of taste. While I greatly respect the 993TT, I prefer the faster reving N/A 993, which also has IMO a more linear development of hp, and is more suited to my environment (twisty roads). Were I doing primarly highways, I probably would have opted for the 993TT. This is just my opinion.

An example is a Tuner GP which is held on the small Hockenheim Track in Germany. Several years back, a 993RS with 300 hp but a specially prepared suspension beat 500+ 993TTs around the track. In the 1980's Porsche was embarassed that the 210hp 1973 light weight Carrera RS was regularly beating the 300 hp 930 on the race track.

HP is fine, but it is not everything: save weight on the car, good suspension, good gear ratios are very important.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:32 PM
brian J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may sound silly but I do not like the turbo tail or aero kits in general. I much prefer the plain old 993 rear shape. Also owning a f-car I did not feel the need for another super high performance car.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

For me, quite honestly, it's too much of a car for the city driving that I actually do (that was meant as a compliment for the 993TT as this car should have the ability to stretch its legs, and not be stuck in stop & go traffic). I travel nearly every week and work from home when I'm not flying, so I don't really drive too much. Btw, I drove OldGuy's TT a few months ago and was very impressed with its performance - simply awesome!

Financially speaking, the price difference between a TT & my C4S was about $17k, so not a huge gap. Could I have afforded the extra amount? Probably, but it would have been a stretch for me.

In saying that, however, if I were to ever get rid of my C4S, it would only be for a 993 TT, no doubt.

Rich
Old 09-28-2004, 01:48 PM
cmoss

Originally Posted by CP
Hi,

I may be mistaken, but I believe that Rennlisters here have the financial means to own any car they like.

CP
Yeah right. Personally I sunk every last penny into my NA 993. I would have bought a tt if I could have afforded one.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:52 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool thread CP!

As Rich, my C4S is already too much car for me as this is my 1st Porsche. I can't even imagine a TT! I think it is a nice steppingstone for the TT and gives me something to strive/look forward to if i'll ever be able to afford/maintain one.

Until then...i'm having a blast with my "new" C4S and til this day (what? It's been 4 months(?)), I still can't believe I own a Porsche.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:53 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

I originally dreamed of getting the TT but the price difference between the NA and TT was ~$25-40K at the time I bought my car, in Europe at least. The NA offered 90% of the enjoyment of ownership of a TT for considerably less outlay.

My whole department's future at the bank was looking shaky, so I played it safe. A wise decision it turned out, as my whole department was terminated 2 months after I bought the car.

I'm still very happy with the NA years later, but if the right TT came along at the right time, I will probably upgrade. Everyone should own a 911 Turbo at least once in their lives!
Old 09-28-2004, 01:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,164 Likes on 2,909 Posts

For me it's the lower weight (more tossable), better throttle response (critical in throttle-steering), and RWD. Fun and ultimate speed are not always directly related...
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RS
It is a question of taste....

An example is a Tuner GP which is held on the small Hockenheim Track in Germany. Several years back, a 993RS with 300 hp but a specially prepared suspension beat 500+ 993TTs around the track. In the 1980's Porsche was embarassed that the 210hp 1973 light weight Carrera RS was regularly beating the 300 hp 930 on the race track.
Well said 993RS. My thinking exactly. In fact, I could get a TT for equal or less $ than a 993RS. A Porsche sales rep in Hamburg helped me make up my mind: "993TT are nice boys toys. The RS is for men"

His words really.
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with cmoss. To acquire a TT with the same miles and condition of my C4S would have cost tens of $k more. I was already at the limit I wanted to spend. On top of that my assumption was the ongoing cost and insurance would be higher too. Bottom line, a TT was just out of my league for my favorite toy.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoss
Yeah right. Personally I sunk every last penny into my NA 993. I would have bought a tt if I could have afforded one.
Haha...I hear ya dude.

I realize that we here are all very fortunate to own these incredible machines. I also realize that we all here are not necessarily rich up the wazoo as i'm sure most people assume Porsche owners are, but in fact we are true enthusiasts and are always finding ways to spend our hard earned money "wisely".
Old 09-28-2004, 02:02 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
...I may be mistaken, but I believe that Rennlisters here have the financial means to own any car they like. ...
Uhhh, I wish. I'm sure very few of us would drive our N/A's if we could afford a TT. I'd probably stick with the N/A because I'd be too afraid to wreck an $80,000 car on the track. But then again, if I had those unlimited resources you mention...
Old 09-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Midnight C4S
Pro

CP, I liked the slightly more subtle look of the C4S sans the fixed tail, I know the tail looks good and it is much needed but it dominates the car lines just a bit too much for me.

HOWEVER, would I trade mine for a really good priced Turbo? You bet your life I would. One can never have too many supercars. And what is not to love about HP. It's a hard? CP in what catagory would you put your car?
Old 09-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

i love my new TT, but i can easily make the case that my old 993c2 was more fun for driving around on country roads (more tossable, gokart feel, better steering, etc). Also, it is tougher to exploit a TT in the ny/ct/nj area.
That said, i drool when i look at my TT and im sure after a few mods (suspension, etc) it can be made to feel greatly better and closer to the feel of the c2. Somehow that 993gt2 (i only want SILVER) was not available when i was looking
Old 09-28-2004, 02:13 PM
BlackCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with several people that while the TT would be a great car to own, but too much of my driving is in the suburbs to truly appreciate and utilize the capabilities of such a car. The 993 can get me in to plenty of trouble. While my 993 isn't the fastest car around, it'll get down the road fast enough. And personally I do not like the turbo tail.

Now I suppose if I was living in the West with lots of open highway, my thinking would be different about the TT.

Quick Reply: Why Not 993tt, Is it cost?