Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Classic Radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 09:28 AM
E30M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was one of the original ones to place an order for one of these in the NYC area as I was working for Porsche at the time and have loved it since..

I say go for it..
Old 09-23-2020, 11:02 AM
toona
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Love mine, best upgrade I've done
Old 09-23-2020, 11:05 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

So why a version II?

Some say don't buy others say it is great- what is this about?
Old 09-23-2020, 12:05 PM
nk993
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensivak
So why a version II?
Version 3 actually. They added carplay and for europe they added DAB radio.

Originally Posted by stevensivak
Some say don't buy others say it is great- what is this about?
When it works, its good, as Texas experienced. But their initial batch had a large % of the units suffering from very significant, loud hissing/noise due to faulty circuitry. They are trying to resolve it which is why the unit is not available anywhere in Europe. They recalled the units from all Porsche centers. I have been waiting since April to get mine replaced.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:11 AM
Styrizo
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the version without CarPlay on my car and it's great to have access to modern features while retaining the old-fashion looks.Dealing with the menus and on-screen options is ok, since you can use both the wheel control or the touch-screen.

Maps (at least in Europe) work very well, downside is you can barely see the details on the tiny and distant screen.

Sound quality and power rate very well in my opinion even with the non HiFi setup in my car.

PS: it also has the option to use different colors for background illumination so if you want to play around with the gauges and switches conversion to LED, your stereo would mostly match
Old 09-24-2020, 07:18 AM
JEllis
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I have an early Nokia HiFi system in my 993TT and the OEM amp/speaker connection does not match up with the PCCM. There is an additional cable that needs to be purchased. Its a $50 cable and a much cleaner setup compared to the old OE connector but its annoying that Porsche did not include it for early HiFi cars. I have it installed and have been using CarPlay for navigation while I wait. Works and looks great.
The following users liked this post:
m32 (09-24-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 03:21 PM
Reg Liyanage
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you guys think Porsche will release a version 2 to the classic radio and when u think it will release if they do?
Old 10-01-2020, 09:46 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

They just released a new version
Old 10-02-2020, 08:58 AM
dannycf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed one a couple of years ago.
It looks and sounds great although the navigation is basically useless.
I have an issue that's somewhat of a mystery.
When I start the car the unit turns on and blasts the radio until I manually mute the volume or change modes to phone or media.
I have no idea how to change the default settings so that when the unit powers up it defaults to the phone or media mode so that the radio doesn't blast. I've discussed this with the dealer who consulted Porsche and no one seems to know how remedy this.
I should point out that twice I was able to fix the issue although I have no idea what I did to fix it but each time after bringing my car in for service, once for a battery and once for an A/C service, they returned the car with the problem re occurring. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 10-02-2020, 09:56 PM
Porsche70T
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 993 Porsche Classic Radio Install Parts List

For what it's worth, here's the parts list that my installer needed to install the Porsche Classic Radio, 4-channel amp and new speakers. If my memory is correct, there was also a simple connector that I purchased to use the original harness connection. The antenna was mounted under the rear shelf, the mic fit nicely between the sunvisors and the amp was mounted in the frunk on a custom made plate bracket - all nice and tidy
Old 10-04-2020, 07:04 PM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 359 Posts
Default Porsche Classic Radio problem

I installed the classic radio 2 years ago. It worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. Recently it has developed a connection problem. The USB connection for the IPhone goes intermittently dead. The phone still connects via Bluetooth but the radio won’t recognize anything in the iPhone jack. When it does this I’ve swapped out the cable with no luck.

I visited my installer who said that the female IPhone USB jack is breaking down and not making a good connection. He tells me that there is no way to just replace the USB jack because the Classic Radio connector pod is sealed. To fix I’ll have to replace the connection pod and cable all the way to the radio.

Anyone else have this problem with the 1st gen Classic radio?

AS
Old 10-05-2020, 01:39 PM
Reg Liyanage
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Where do you guys buy it???
Old 10-06-2020, 07:24 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Reg Liyanage
Where do you guys buy it???
Porsche dealer
Old 03-28-2021, 09:25 PM
Beamer Convert
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Operate Porsche Classic Radio While Driving

The system won't allow me to use most functions while driving. Even something as simple as brows through the music folder to get a particular song, it won't let me. Any idea as to how to remove the safety feature?
Old 03-29-2021, 12:59 PM
Sh55
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Since folks are talking about the new version of the PCR, I did an install writeup in July last year if anyone is considering a DIY: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...n-version.html

I am still very happy that I did the installation, great addition. I got the carplay only version (no GPS maps, but you can always buy them later). Plus if you choose a region in Google Maps to download for offline use you do not need an internet connection to use Google's navigation.

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic Radio