Sponsored by:

Porsche Classic Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 02:15 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Porsche Classic Radio

I’ve read a bunch of initial reviews on the Porsche Classic Radio and all were fairly positive. Curious to hear updates now that many have lived with it for a while. Any regrets, issues, etc? I’m considering getting one to replace my top of the line single din Alipine headunit but don’t want to change anything that could degrade sound quality or anything else. What’s everyone’s feeling? Price aside, Is the Classic radio really worth it?

My feelings are as follows:

Pros
-looks
-addition of Sirius
-addition of map view (will probably still use waze for nav)
-better BT call sound quality?

possible cons:
-worse audio sound quality with less eq adjustments??
-price (not a major concern)

Anything else I should be aware of or consider?

also, for install, I have to double check, but I’m pretty sure my PO cut out the oem radio harness. What are my options for install?

thanks guys!
Old 02-16-2019, 02:22 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Can't help you with install info, but I've had mine for a year or so, and overall I like it. Agree with you that the nav on Waze is preferable so I don't use it for that, and I rarely crank the stereo so loud anymore than I can tell a huge difference in sound quality. The main plusses for me were the better look than the aftermarket head unit the previous owner had installed and Sirius is also nice. The BT call sound is good, but since it's my only car and I never had BT calling in any other car, I have nothing to compare it to.

All in all, a nice piece of kit and I'd recommend it
Old 02-16-2019, 02:43 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I've had mine for a few months now, and I like it very much. The predecessor was a Harmon-Karden Traffic Pro, which had navigation but no map. The sound on the PCNR is much better, with cleaner, higher volume, nice interface, tiny map but still usable, great classic look, phone interface is very good, so is phone sound quality. I would do it again.

Of course none of these LCD screens work well with polarized sunglasses--I'm back to using Serengeti Drivers.

For a clean install, you may want reinstall the original Porsche connectors, then it is plug-and-play. I hid the nav antenna inside the dash, and haven't noticed any reduction in function. I installed the phone mike near the light switch, and was able to carefully tuck/hide the wire in the crack of the dash lower panel. It works well in that location, and pretty much disappears visually.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:57 PM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I just purchased the PCR and will be doing the install shortly. It does come with new, replacement plugs in the event the originals were removed. Fortunately, the PO on my car used adapters for the install of a Sony head-unit but did cut into the harness that leads down to the Nokia amp. I was able to purchase a factory replacement cable from Sunset which now requires the removal of the passenger seat to route. Not exactly convenient to have to pull it, but I do want it done correctly! In short, if your PO did cut the harness, you definately have options to make it right.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:38 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Seperate issue. Does anyone have a Porsche CDC-1CD changer for sale. They were installed with a bracket in the frunk or inside the cab. They also have a cable to connect the radio to the CD changer. Thanks,
Old 02-16-2019, 09:55 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Having owned a few cars with DSP in the stereos, I opted for the top of the line Alpine (CDE-HD149BT), which for a measly $210 gets you 8-band parametric EQ plus time corrections to control the sound staging, all controllable on your smartphone if you want. It makes a HUGE difference in enjoyment. At the price Porsche charges, the fact that the only sound settings are Bass-Mid-Treb-Balance-Fader is simply an embarrassment. Truly disgraceful.

And HD radio is awesome too. The cheap Alpine has it, the PCR does not. Disgraceful.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:55 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

How is the navigation on the Alpine unit?

Kudos to Porsche for developing a nice classic unit for such a small potential market.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:53 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
How is the navigation on the Alpine unit?

Kudos to Porsche for developing a nice classic unit for such a small potential market.
The Alpine doesn’t have Nav, meaning that its nav is about as good as the Porsche‘s, which people say they don’t use since Waze/GoogleMaps is so much better.

Porsche definitely made a beautiful little unit, but the feature selection is very questionable.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:57 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Can't help you with install info, but I've had mine for a year or so, and overall I like it. Agree with you that the nav on Waze is preferable so I don't use it for that, and I rarely crank the stereo so loud anymore than I can tell a huge difference in sound quality. The main plusses for me were the better look than the aftermarket head unit the previous owner had installed and Sirius is also nice. The BT call sound is good, but since it's my only car and I never had BT calling in any other car, I have nothing to compare it to.

All in all, a nice piece of kit and I'd recommend it
I enjoy mine and very much agree with goofballdeluxe. It is a great complement to the 993 if you tend more towards the stock/old school look with a modern feature set. I don’t use nav all that much since almost all of my 993 driving is local around town but it works just fine compared to what is in my 2017 Macan albeit with a smaller screen.

Sound quality is about as good as you can extract out of the speaker set up in the 993 (my speakers are newer replacements but in same locations and enclosures as the originals. Phone quality seems fine but I don’t really talk on the phone. Road noise from the car would be a bigger issue than anything else I imagine since our 993s don’t really prioritize noise insulation.

Bluetooth and Sirius/XM are the real reasons I upgraded and they work perfectly. Overall, I’d 100% buy it again.

Last edited by RudyP; 02-18-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:46 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT

For a clean install, you may want reinstall the original Porsche connectors, then it is plug-and-play.
If the wiring harness has been cut up, how much of a paid/expense is it to fix up?
Old 02-17-2019, 07:23 PM
WRXdriver
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 28 Posts

I love mine. Nav screen is small as noted but I like the fact that it uses actual gps satellite signals rather than cell phone towers. It worked great deep in the Black Hills of SD last summer and also on the remote and hilly farm-to-market roads in southwestern WI. In those areas cell signals are frequently unavailable so obviously associated mapping programs don’t work. It will probably be helpful in the Smokie Mountains next fall as well.

I almost never talk on my phone while driving, but my wife and daughter spoke during a road trip last summer. I had the cruise set at 88 mph and my car is fairly loud. With the mic mounted in the upper left corner of windshield they were able to communicate comfortably for 15-20 minutes. I’m not an audiophile, but audio books and music on BT both sound fine and no complaints with connectivity. The radio reception is noticeably clearer than the stock AM/FM/tape I had before, and can be turned up louder too. Given how poor the stock head unit was, that’s faint praise though.

I’m the only one who seems to feel this way, but I absolutely hate that I can’t cycle through radio stations while the map page is displayed. I often have the radio on quietly, but would like the map up all the time...I don’t need to see which radio station I’m on to decide whether or not I want to skip to the next preset.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:29 PM
chuck v
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Like it in my 87 911. Use it mostly for telephone calls. Colorado Springs dealer did installl replacing a Best Buy aftermarket install. No problems with connections. Nav screen small but ok. Overall a good addition.

chuck
Old 02-17-2019, 08:08 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Shotor,

I don't know the cost of reinstalling the original connections. It depends on how much was cut off, and the labor rate at the shop you plan to use.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:49 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
Seperate issue. Does anyone have a Porsche CDC-1CD changer for sale. They were installed with a bracket in the frunk or inside the cab. They also have a cable to connect the radio to the CD changer. Thanks,
Sent you a pm
Old 05-16-2019, 11:36 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

finally bit the bullet an ordered one. Can't wait to get it installed! Has anyone added SiriusXM to the radio? Look like you need an additional module. Is that from Porsche or from Sirius? With the nav antenna mounted on the dash, where are you putting the sirius antenna?

FYI - with Sunset's memorial day 20% off sale, the radio is $1k plus shipping. Still a lot but better then retail pricing

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic Radio