Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Classic Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 10:52 AM
nk993
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

@sna77 you do realize you could have bought the exact same radio with either land rover or no branding on it for 1/3 of the price? this isnt a porsche radio, it is a piece of hot garbage made by Kraemer automotive. they make the same garbage for land rover and some work Vans. only logo is different.

Ive already replaced mined twice under warranty. it is ridiculous how low quality they are.
Old 08-12-2024, 10:59 AM
sna77
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nk993
@sna77 you do realize you could have bought the exact same radio with either land rover or no branding on it for 1/3 of the price? this isnt a porsche radio, it is a piece of hot garbage made by Kraemer automotive. they make the same garbage for land rover and some work Vans. only logo is different.

Ive already replaced mined twice under warranty. it is ridiculous how low quality they are.
I guess I do realize that now that you say it... Where can one buy it?
Old 08-12-2024, 11:00 AM
nk993
Racer

kramer used to have links on their website but seems theyve changed and scrubbed their site now. depends on your location i guess. just google "land rover classic radio" or "defender classic radio" or "jaguar classic radio"... not sure what you would google for the unbranded one for vans which will be the cheapest.
Old 08-12-2024, 11:10 AM
sna77
8th Gear

kramer used to have links on their website but seems theyve changed and scrubbed their site now. depends on your location i guess. just google "land rover classic radio" or "defender classic radio" or "jaguar classic radio"... not sure what you would google for the unbranded one for vans which will be the cheapest.
I'd searched the LR one before... seems like they only have the old 1st gen (non-CarPlay) version... https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...ainment-system

Havent seen the unbranded one for sale anywhere
Old 08-12-2024, 12:29 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by sna77
Hi all,
Bumping this thread... I have a Posrche Classic radio in my 92 BMW e30--love it! The amber lighting almost perfectly matches my BMW interior.

I would love to change the logo as well.. Although the Porsche logo in my old BMW is a good conversation starter.

I have the GPS module attached and even bought the SD card maps. I rarely use it, but do like the idea of a local map backup for when my iPhone has no cellular service.

My stereo shop replaced the mic that come with the unit for another one. It works well enough for being

Porsche Classic radio in 1992 BMW e30 convertible
in an old convertible.
That E30 interior looks super-well restored / put together - so crispy fresh. How did you remove the silkscreened Porsche logo from the PCCM without damaging the underlying plastic?
Old 08-12-2024, 12:40 PM
sna77
8th Gear

Last edited by sna77; 08-13-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2024, 12:43 PM
sna77
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Jlaa
That E30 interior looks super-well restored / put together - so crispy fresh. How did you remove the silkscreened Porsche logo from the PCCM without damaging the underlying plastic?
Thanks! I had the full interior done over the winter. We replaced the interior carpet (BMW still produces the carpet), then had the seats and all the door panels redone... I did the stereo while I was at at... Full install and pics are here:
https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...ead-mostly-ice

The stereo shop used some type of remover, then added some black paint to it to blend it... They do this all the time. They have about 20 of these radios in their shop in inventory and put them in old Porsches, Defenders, BMWs regularly.

Here's the full interior:
Old 08-12-2024, 01:15 PM
Hamhands
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 89 Posts

I'd assume light rubbing with some acetone.
Old 08-12-2024, 05:19 PM
sna77
8th Gear

Thanks! The stereo shop removed it with some sort of chemical, then blended it in with black paint. Here's the pic of the interior... It spent 8 months off the road last winter (it's a convertible) and I had the seats, door panels, all reupholstered... along with a new audio system. Love this thing. It's not fast, but it is fun to drive.

Old 08-13-2024, 12:16 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Hamhands
I'd assume light rubbing with some acetone.
Maybe I will try this on some spare silkscreened part to see if acetone works properly without melting the underlying plastic. @sna77 , welcome to rennlist, you should ask your shop if acetone is indeed what they used.
Old 08-13-2024, 02:12 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 76 Posts

My only complaint with my PCCS is related to playing songs from USB. I have a large number of songs (thousands of tracks) on a USB drive that I leave plugged in and like to just have the player set on shuffe for random music from the USB drive. The only thing is that the playlist is never really random, it plays the same one-time generated random playlist. So if I get in to go for a drive, it's the same one-time generated "randomized" list, playing from the beginning. Same first song, second, song, etc... so I find myself having to scroll through/forward to get to "fresh" songs on the "shuffled" playlist. Otherwise, I'd only get to listen to the same exact songs from the last drive I took in the car.
Old 08-13-2024, 03:35 PM
sna77
8th Gear

Maybe I will try this on some spare silkscreened part to see if acetone works properly without melting the underlying plastic. @sna77 , welcome to rennlist, you should ask your shop if acetone is indeed what they used.
Just spoke with them--they said they do NOT use acetone or any chemicals.--just a light sanding, mask, then spray it with a black plastic paint.

Last edited by sna77; 08-13-2024 at 03:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jlaa (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 08:12 AM
a.cooled
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default pot kettle black

. . .

would you like to add more ......................dots................... and moan and bitch some more?
Old 08-14-2024, 08:44 AM
nk993
Racer

Are you ok buddy? Having some sort of psychotic break?
Old 08-14-2024, 09:15 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sna77
I like that this exists, and hope that some of the major manufacturers follow. I'd love to see Sony make a single DIN CarPlay unit. Sony's double DIN AX-6000 with anti-glare screen is so clean, CarPlay works great, and is high quality.
yes, I’d rather buy from a brand I recognised, but this unit is much better than any other single din CarPlay unit (so far) - ignoring the pccm. Plus, it only costs about $140usd.

Originally Posted by pp000830
Hi YellowDieselGolf,
So how is the audio quality with this unit.
Did you use it with an external power amp?
Thanks,
Andy
It sounds about as good as the kenwood it replaced but my speakers don’t really allow me to critique the audio quality.

I have a tiny under-seat JVC amp, focal splits and infinity rears.

You should be able to find reviews on the quality online.

I didn’t really talk about the other features though: wireless CarPlay connects quickly. It remembers the settings after the battery has been disconnected. It has front and rear camera inputs. It can be used with steering wheel controls.
The only downside is that it sits high in my dash.
The following users liked this post:
sna77 (08-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic Radio