Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Classic Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 12:48 AM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm pretty sure the old classic radio cannot be updated.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:10 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 536 Posts

I doubt it! Existing other units for other car manufacturers that didn’t have Car Play could not be updated... one example was Acura. So it’s highly unlikely... totally different circuitry.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:11 AM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Bat phone conversion

Originally Posted by huwla
Just an idea but I wonder if the center phone console option (aka bat phone) could be converted to accommodate the DIN 2. Coupled with the RS delete of the original slot, it could be the best of both worlds. For me, the molding would have to look just right before taking the plunge.

Did the conversion to a Pioneer CarPlay several years ago. Works/looks good.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:09 AM
acf
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey all, I know this is the 996 forum but any info on when this is coming out for the 997? I’d love to get one for my 997 turbo. I cant imagine the double din 996 version would be all that different. I love that porsche came out with an oem solution!
Old 05-13-2020, 03:46 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
I doubt it! Existing other units for other car manufacturers that didn’t have Car Play could not be updated... one example was Acura. So it’s highly unlikely... totally different circuitry.
Just a friendly data point - I was able to update my daughter's 2018 Mazda3 HB to add CarPlay to the factory screen. Had to add a new cable to handle the increased bandwidth. And a software update. DIY which I gave her for Xmas present last year. $150 total cost (Dealer charges $599).

Don't think Porsche would have the same incentive to offer an update kit though!

dave
95 C2
03 540i6
84 380SL

Old 05-13-2020, 08:57 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_540
Just a friendly data point - I was able to update my daughter's 2018 Mazda3 HB to add CarPlay to the factory screen. Had to add a new cable to handle the increased bandwidth. And a software update. DIY which I gave her for Xmas present last year. $150 total cost (Dealer charges $599).

Don't think Porsche would have the same incentive to offer an update kit though!

dave
95 C2
03 540i6
84 380SL
it would great if they did but highly doubt it but who knows possibly then?
Old 06-08-2020, 12:43 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Anybody knows is the new classic radio supports wireless car play ? Can't get an answer from the local dealer.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:56 PM
nk993
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

No it doesn't. Phone has to be plugged via USB.

Also, I strongly advise against buying it. It is my most regretful purchase on the car thus far. Carplay is nice, but otherwise this is a very very very low quality piece of garbage. Despite the >1400eur price, the quality is more like a 50eur single din stereo. After many billable hours of work on my car, including checking every possible aspect from wiring, to grounding, to alternator, the installer isolated the noise issue I was having to the stereo itself. It produces a hissing sound the second it turns on (regardless of it playing anything and regardless of volume or the engine being on). It does this on all speakers we tested except crossover speakers. We tried plugging in several other stereos into the car and none produced that sound. I have been trying to contact Porsche both in Germany and the UK for over a month now to resolve it and there has been almost 0 feedback from them.

The product itself is made in china, not by Porsche. The same company btw produces the exact same radio for old land rover Defenders at a drastically lower price. So you could buy that if you were fine without the porsche logo. But honestly I would not recommend it even if they paid you 1400 eur.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 01:35 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by nk993

Also, I strongly advise against buying it. It is my most regretful purchase on the car thus far. Carplay is nice, but otherwise this is a very very very low quality piece of garbage. Despite the >1400eur price, the quality is more like a 50eur single din stereo. After many billable hours of work on my car, including checking every possible aspect from wiring, to grounding, to alternator, the installer isolated the noise issue I was having to the stereo itself. It produces a hissing sound the second it turns on (regardless of it playing anything and regardless of volume or the engine being on). It does this on all speakers we tested except crossover speakers. We tried plugging in several other stereos into the car and none produced that sound. I have been trying to contact Porsche both in Germany and the UK for over a month now to resolve it and there has been almost 0 feedback from them.

The product itself is made in china, not by Porsche. The same company btw produces the exact same radio for old land rover Defenders at a drastically lower price. So you could buy that if you were fine without the porsche logo. But honestly I would not recommend it even if they paid you 1400 eur.
Wow. This sucks.

My local dealer could not tell me if wireless CarPlay is supported but they said installation is 600 euros For a nice round 2000 euros.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:05 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Sad to hear! I'm more than happy with mine which i installed 2015! Looks good too!

Are you sure it's not built by Porsche themself?
Doesn't most car manufaturers make their own car audio systems?
Old 06-08-2020, 02:12 PM
nk993
Racer

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
Are you sure it's not built by Porsche themself?
Doesn't most car manufaturers make their own car audio systems?
Yes, I am.

The following 2 users liked this post by nk993:
M. Schneider (06-18-2020), Philipangoo (04-21-2021)
Old 06-08-2020, 03:09 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes, I am.

That crome one looks a million dollars!
Watson (06-22-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 03:15 PM
huwla
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Very interesting. Can you post a pic of the result?

Originally Posted by WhiteCab
Did the conversion to a Pioneer CarPlay several years ago. Works/looks good.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:14 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like the new PCNR now out and available to purchase: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ours-here.html

But, interestingly, it looks like they've removed the nav SD and are selling it separately now.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:56 PM
nk993
Racer

Thought I would give an update on my issues with this bull**** product. I ended up locating the manufacturer and getting in touch with them. They are called Kraemer Automotive. They were actually very nice and helpful. They walked me through some steps and ultimately determined that the unit is definitely faulty and needs to be replaced. However, they can't do it themselves and the process has to go through Porsche. They said they have even gotten in touch with Porsche directly and informed them.

That is when we get to a hive of incompetence known as Porsche. Everyone at Porsche is playing hot potato and tossing the issue to someone else. Porsche Germany said they have to follow ze processes and handed over the whole case to Porsche UK and I was told to get in touch with my Porsche Center. I got in tough with a few, including the HQ at Reading, and nobody had any information or had heard anything at all. So I got in touch directly with Porsche customer care (for around the 3rd time). They said they also don't have anything from Porsche Germany but to forward them all my communication with Kraemer and proof of purchase. I did. No reply for a couple weeks until I chased them up yet again. Today they get back to me with some bull**** about how I would have to return the product to Teile.com (the distributor I purchased it from). So basically they don't want to honor the warranty on a product that they literally just launched. Teile for their part have been very accommodating and said I can absolutely send it back, but their issue is that they have no stock of other radios and Porsche is out of stock as well. It is also crazy for me to have to uninstall a product, ship it back to Germany, get a new one shipped back, install it again instead of just driving over to Porsche so they can deal with this crap themselves.

I am very exasperated at this point with the incompetence on display by Porsche, the exceptionally poor customer service (this issue has been ongoing for 2 months), and the complete disregard for the quality of the parts they released.
M. Schneider (06-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic Radio