Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Option M718 993s

Firstly 993 owners the flow of photos has stopped. Not good people. I would like to get the art work done and dusted before I start writing. This will speed up the process greatly. I am aiming for a Christmas release but unless the images keep flowing it will be tight.
I need photos of the labels on the underside of the luggage compartment lids (trunk lids). Coupe, Targa, Cabriolet, Turbo Turbo S, RS, Cup Cars (if installed). Which brings me to my thread topic.
Would a 1995 S series M718 owner (or more than one) please send me a photo of this label and their engine serial number prefix. I want to determine if the M718 993s were fitted with 62R or 62S series engines.
adrianstreather@rennlist.net for all stuff please.
Track junkies I also need more photos. I do not want to rely on PAG for all this stuff it is just not fun without your contributions.
Parts removed as well. Transmissions, viscous couplings all that stuff. Harald I know you are out there.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-27-2004, 09:04 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You wouldn't happend to know the difference between 62R, 62S and 63S engines?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by Adrian
Firstly 993 owners the flow of photos has stopped. Not good people. I would like to get the art work done and dusted before I start writing. This will speed up the process greatly. I am aiming for a Christmas release but unless the images keep flowing it will be tight. I need photos of the labels on the underside of the luggage compartment lids (trunk lids). Coupe, Targa, Cabriolet, Turbo Turbo S, RS, Cup Cars (if installed). Which brings me to my thread topic. Would a 1995 S series M718 owner (or more than one) please send me a photo of this label and their engine serial number prefix. I want to determine if the M718 993s were fitted with 62R or 62S series engines. adrianstreather@rennlist.net for all stuff please. Track junkies I also need more photos. I do not want to rely on PAG for all this stuff it is just not fun without your contributions. Parts removed as well. Transmissions, viscous couplings all that stuff. Harald I know you are out there.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Not sure about where you are from, but for the most part folks in the USA respond better to request that use polite words such as "Please" and "Thanks".
Old 01-27-2004, 09:31 PM
Radar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
Not sure about where you are from, but for the most part folks in the USA respond better to request that use polite words such as "Please" and "Thanks".
Well said, Greg. Already, his original request was almost harsh. Correct me if I am wrong, but who, in their right mind, would respond to this: "I was thinking of writing a book on the 993. I never owned one, or driven one. But if you tell me everything you know, and send me some high resolution photo’s, then I will write the book. Deal ? Oh… and no free copies will be distributed !" Sheesh...
Old 01-27-2004, 09:33 PM
The good ol' boys...
Advanced

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
Y'know... that critter be a supermodeldater. Them fellas can do what they please
Old 01-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Do you want some pics of my late modified at the track?

I just dont understand the need for a $40 book? We have pcar.com, that wiring harness site, the Rennlist 993 archives, and Viken, Robin and the other 993 experts here all available to us at a moments notice. Oh yea, we also have the shop manuals and the Pelican info too.

Am I missing something?

DTR
Old 01-27-2004, 09:54 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I counted 2 pleases in the entire message....works for me if I knew what he was talking about.

My questions..........???

"Lead Rennlist Technical Advisor" ????????? How does one achieve such a bestowed accolade ??

Maybe Viper Bob can assist ??

"Super Moderator " uuummm......Ok.....Viken...John D......if this gent is a Super Moderator...what would that make you guys ??

Porsche Rookie here not feeling the love !!!

Keith
Old 01-27-2004, 10:58 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

Originally posted by Dirt Track Racer
Do you want some pics of my late modified at the track?

I just dont understand the need for a $40 book? We have pcar.com, that wiring harness site, the Rennlist 993 archives, and Viken, Robin and the other 993 experts here all available to us at a moments notice. Oh yea, we also have the shop manuals and the Pelican info too.

Am I missing something?

DTR
I think the following thread will shed some light on this issue. See page 5.

Thread from the 964 Forum

I have Adrian's 964 book and it is excellent.

Cheers,
ST
Old 01-28-2004, 02:12 AM
Derrick B.
Racer

OUCH. I am very surprised that you guys haven't heard of Adrian Streather. While he is quiet on the 993 front, he is very active on the email list, and runs the 964 board. He is a passionate porsche-phile who has helped many, many of us with his well researched and detailed assistance.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:22 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Adrian is an asset to the 964 crowd. However, not sure if its his english, but he does come across somewhat rude and/or harsh. I would love to help in getting info/pics to him, but like others have said, it doesnt seem he is too appreciative...
Just my two cents
Old 01-28-2004, 02:24 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh dear. There has been some miscommunication here. Adrian is one of the guru's of the 964 world, and the 964 Rennlist forum. Sure, he has a certain style of writing that some may not wholly appreciate, but he is an excellent resource on all things 964, someone who does not like to mince fiction with fact.

He has written a book on the 964 (published by Bentley Publishing, the same company that also publish the book Excellence Was Expected by Ludvigsen- generally considered the greatest book ever written on Porsche) that was also generally very well received by all on the 964 board, and has decided to do the same on the 993.

I think lets give respect where it is deserved. Sure we have different styles of saying things, but lets at least acknowledge that just because Adrian hasn't yet laid his hands on the 993, doesnt mean that he will not in a very short period of time know more about the 993 than most of us on this board. In publishing such a book, I believe that he will provide a great summary of all things 993, and would provide an excellent one stop resource for 993 buffs looking for everything in one book.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:21 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I am quite stunned by these nastygramms. What has my titles (bestowed by JD) have to do with any of this. Unless of course!
My post was a follow up to ones already made. The response to that post was 100% positive and this post was just a reminder. If the majority of you do not want a book on the 993 I can certainly drop it and move to the 996 as originally planned. I only switched back to the 993 because of personal requests from a number of 993 owners including JD.
You are correct when you say I do not own a 993. I actually do not need to. I have access to plenty of them to play with, when I need to.
I am certainly not feeling the love either and I am truly disturbed by these responses.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: I love the comments about being rude and harsh and not being appreciative. Thanks Chris Walrod. Have you read the acknowledgements section of my 964 book or the one posted on my web site for the 911SC book? Appreciative for what? Who have you been talking to? I am offering you all a chance to showcase your cars and make for a more inclusive
owner/enthusiast based product.

Old 01-28-2004, 06:51 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Just my .000000002, but Adrian's 964 book is the most thorough on one model of Porsche ever written. To have him provide the same quality of work for our cars would be a great assist to all of us. And while the book from Bently was over $40 it is worth every penney. If my baby wasn't put away for the winter in secure storage I'd be out with a digital camera.

For those that feel imposed upon I would encourage you to borrow a copy of his book from one of our 964 brethren-then imagine the same quality for the 993.

Al
Old 01-28-2004, 07:58 AM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Originally posted by Harold
but lets at least acknowledge that just because Adrian hasn't yet laid his hands on the 993, doesnt mean that he will not in a very short period of time know more about the 993 than most of us on this board.
Never has a more presumptious statement been uttered on this forum. I cant believe I just read that. Adrian, I recommend you fire your PR company pronto.

And then I read this:

Originally posted by Adrian
You are correct when you say I do not own a 993. I actually do not need to. I have access to plenty of them to play with, when I need to.

PS: I love the comments about being rude and harsh and not being appreciative. Thanks Chris Walrod. Have you read the acknowledgements section of my 964 book or the one posted on my web site for the 911SC book? Appreciative for what? Who have you been talking to? I am offering you all a chance to showcase your cars and make for a more inclusive
owner/enthusiast based product..

And now I think your PR company should fire you. My goodness. Having plenty of 993s to play with is enough to make you an expert to write a technical book? AND its enough to allow you to know more about the 993 then most of us on this board. Holy crap. I still can't believe I read that.

What do we get for sharing our pictures and expertise? Ummm, evidently nothing. I take that back, we must get mentioned in the acknowledgements section.

I'll make you a deal. You write your 993 book and send me a copy (no way I paying for one now). I'll analyze it with a fine tooth comb. If it shows that you know more or have learned more than most of us here on the forum, then I will start a thread apologizing that the moderator can pin to the top. I will eat crow, but know I won't have to.

I haven't heard about the 993 experts being put on retainer for certain chapters - like Robin about exhaust systems, DJ about the wiring harness, Viken about model differentation and tires - I could go on. But you get the point.

So, is it a deal? Do you want me to eat crow? Do you want to prove me wrong? Let it be known that I did not lay down this gauntlet, the quotes above did.

DTR
Old 01-28-2004, 08:03 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adrian, regardless of what anyone said previously, PLEASE continue with your 993 book.
I hope you wouldn't skip and go straight to 996 just because a few ill comments

edit- I just read it again, WTF, I can't belive this

Quick Reply: Option M718 993s