Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear DTR,
Um when did I come to this board and profess to be an expert on the 993. I asked for contributions for my book from 993 owners that was all.
I wonder if you contacted all the other authors who have written books on the 993 and slandered them because they did not own a 993.
I would be interested to know what books you have in your collection and under what premise they were purchased.
Why did I stop working with Viken and others, simple answer we got split up into our respective ownership forums. When we were all together we worked together. I have never met Viken and we are not friends but we go back a long way on rennlist.
Why has Viken not made a post, you have to ask him. I would not expect him to.
By the way there is not much systems difference between a 964 and a 993. Brakes are brakes, engine management is engine management, ABS is ABS etc etc. All one has to learn is the differences and there are not that many. If you know about the 928 you have some of the differences covered already and then you only have things like the simple viscous coupling on the C4 and TT. Turbo motronic control I already know about through my association with RUF.
Varioram I covered in my 964 book and 911SC book. I shall only ask 993 forum owners to look at specific US only issues like engine coking. However based on your general hostility I may well do this privately and leave this forum well alone in future.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-28-2004, 11:39 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

DTR-
Dude you need to shut up.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:39 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW I will be in line for the book with my cash a flashin.
Adrian I will try to get some photos this weekend including
all placards and labels. Keep going!
Old 01-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Eric86Red911
DTR-
Dude you need to shut up.
What are you compens8ing for? I have a guess.

DTR
Old 01-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

This is really stupid. I'm a bit disappointed in some of my fellow 993'ers taking shots at someone who is trying to write a comprehensive book about our cars. What's the point?

The shop manuals? Puleeeeze, for me they've been hit or miss on whether they have the info. I've needed and I don't like having to buy the previous versions of the manuals because Porsche didn't see fit to reproduce the common parts. Point me to some technical books on the 993 that document the mechanics of the varioius cars

Whether you like his demeanor or not, I'd be willing to bet Adrian knows more about our cars that most of the forum members here without even having one.

I for one look forward to any technical book on the 993 and I do hope that EJ, Robin, Viken, John D., Steve W., Glen, Hank, Stephen (at Imagine Auto), Joel Reiser, Mark/Laura Hergesheimer, and any one else who has technical knowledge of the 993 will contribute what they can.

Edit: You too Jim M. and Bob B. ...hey...JimBob????.....

I hope that Adrian can see that the majority of 993 owners are still for having the book written and only a few detractors.

Last edited by Wreck Me Otter; 01-28-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Kim,
Yes certainly. I have just received 20 mb of images from a 993 owner who is working hard to provide me with the images to match my text. Many others including JD will be doing the same. When I first discussed this idea with my publisher and JD I did actually mention that I felt Robin Suns web site might be enough. However I was convinced that there are two different markets and that a 993 book was needed. Then I met with a dear friend of mine whos knowledge and expertise is without peer and he also growled at me and said do a 993 book.
Robin and I have been in communication in the past few days a number of times but not about 993 stuff. I am sure that when he is ready Robin will be a major supporter for chapter 11 which is the performance enhancement chapter.
The racing section will also be huge. I have a colleague in France who just for fun tracked down every 993 based racing chassis built by Porsche Motorsports and private teams. This will be in the book.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-28-2004, 12:09 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Adrian - Shoot me an e-mail on what you can use from me. I have my 3.8L engine and tranny out of the car at the moment. While I won't be taking either of them apart any time soon (although I have a G50/20 tranny that I want to rebuild once I figure out how to do that without having bearings shoot all over the room...dang I wish I had a book to describe this process... ), I can take pictures of what I have.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Silver Bullet

I for one look forward to any technical book on the 993 and I do hope that EJ, Robin, Viken, John D., Steve W., Glen, Hank, Stephen (at Imagine Auto), Joel Reiser, Mark/Laura Hergesheimer, and any one else who has technical knowledge of the 993 will contribute what they can.

Adrian - My last 1cent. From my experiences trespassing on this board and with these folks I think your 993 book would be richer for the inputs of these guys and others (try the roster of the HWFMR team ). If you'd seen Glen's 993 beast, for example, you'd know the quality of effort put into making a 993 go faster than Stuttgart intended!
Old 01-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear OG,
I look forward to your photos.
Dear Kim,
You have mail.
Dear Ruairidh,
The main thrust of the book is about the 993. Performance enhancements is only one chapter. RUF will play a major part in this chapter and I hope to get contributions from around the world including the USA.
My main aim is to identify every known version and sub version of the 993. Provide a buyers guide and DIY maintenance. It will have exactly the same format as the 964 and 911SC books. However each book will have something different in it applicable to all. Sort of making a series.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Adrian
Why did I stop working with Viken and others, simple answer we got split up into our respective ownership forums. When we were all together we worked together. I have never met Viken and we are not friends but we go back a long way on rennlist.
Why has Viken not made a post, you have to ask him. I would not expect him to.
I am sorry, but I disagree with your assessment of me working WITH you and I would prefer you leave me out of your defense, if you recall the history so differently than I do.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:48 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 270 Posts

What a lousy thread! Worst one I've read in quite some time!

Adrian, your original thread was not rude or dissrespectful - you came across as a colleague talking to colleagues - where's the problem??

I, for one, am very pleased you are willing to write a book on our beloved 993. I have not seen your 964 book (need to remedy that), but I'm very happy you are taking on this task.

Lastly, there's no reason to dissrespect our European colleagues,or any of our colleagues for that matter - Adrian spoke honestly and clearly - period!!

ridiculous
Old 01-28-2004, 12:54 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Geez Louise!

I did'nt expect this kind of remark from our moderator, Viken. But then again I don't really know him or his or Adrian's past and it is none of my business either, so I will respectfully therefore tread on rice paper when posting on the 993 forum from now on.

BTW, I also appreciate all of the very good advice that Viken has posted on this forum.

PEACE,
Old 01-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

We argued a lot but we found the answer one way or another. Most of it on wheels. I clearly remember the 70 mm offset wheel discussions for the 993. I said we were never friends and I hold Viken and his knowledge and expertise in the highest regard. I am sorry that he seems to hold different feelings but hey I have learned the hard way that remember only the good not the bad and I did learn a lot from Viken in the early days of Rennlist.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-28-2004, 01:06 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Oleg, I agree with your comments wholeheartedly! This post has degenerated into a hostile attack on Adrian for no real reason.

This thread proves to me that there are alot of very insecure people in this world. It is a darn shame!
Old 01-28-2004, 01:32 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope someone coming to this Sunday's Malibu Fun Run is bringing their hi-res digital camera to take pics for the book. I too look forward to buying the finished product. In fact, from what I have read on these threads I just may go out and buy the 964 book as well.

Adrian, continue to keep your eyes on the prize.

Quick Reply: Option M718 993s