Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adrian's book..... worth the money!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 01:26 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Adrian's book..... worth the money!

All I want to say is that the book Adrian wrote is worth the money!

For a colour picture issue I would pay more money also, so Adrain, may be something for the future...............
Old 12-13-2003, 05:38 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Arjan,
No chance I am afraid. The cost of producing books in colour is astronomical. It also delays the process hugely. I wanted colour in the first place but when I saw the process, the time frame and the cost I was convinced b&w was the way. I am not into attempting to write books that cost hundreds. Nobody would purchase them. It is also not the point of the book. It is meant to be used and not cost a fortune.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-13-2003, 10:46 PM
OTEcupracer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrian,
Received your book a couple of days ago and really enjoyed scanning thru it. I am sure it will be very helpful in the future. I am dissapointed in one thing. My car, second rarest of 964s produced (15 in 1993), 1st being the GS was not listed in your book. I myself have had a heck of a time finding info about this vehicle and it would have been nice to have a reference for me to say "look here". However, the book looks fabulous and hats off to all of your efforts in writing it. I hope it sells one for each 964 owner.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:36 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I posted on this forum and others for information like this for over 2 years. Not one ROW Carrera Cup owner ever responded unfortunately.
The Carrera Cup gets a good showing in chapter 12. Yes I knew about these Cup cars but without information I was not going to invent stuff.
Porsche Motorsports could not help.
By the way your Carrera Cup with 15 is the equal third rarest with the widebody Speedster. The second rarest is a genuine factory prepared roadworthy RSR 3.8.
I had a guy in Germany say the same thing to me. Why was his car not in my book? I gave him the same answer. I did not know because you never gave me any information or pictures.
Maybe if we sell enough a second edition will be in order and then we can include it. If you supply the information of course.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-14-2003, 08:40 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adrian,

I tought so, the cost would be too high. Black/white pics are fine too, no problem.
I am enjoying your book very much!!
Old 12-15-2003, 10:32 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

You are lucky people. I sent the thread to my wife for a Christmas present suggestion. She is making me wait until Christmas to get mine. This is something to look forward to for now.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:39 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Adrian's book..... worth the money!

Originally posted by Arjan B.
All I want to say is that the book Adrian wrote is worth the money!

For a colour picture issue I would pay more money also, so Adrain, may be something for the future...............
I have an imported car from Switzerland... interesting to find out that there are subtle differences in this model vs the US and other countries...

I just wished there was more detailed info as to what the differences are (the only mention in the book is the different part numbers with no details as to what is the difference, for example the tranny....)... but I guess there so much you can include in one volume... right?

I was also expecting to find more information on the Odometer problems that are so common in our cars... no luck there.

Overall I really like the book. It complements extremely well the workshop manual with some easy to follow troubleshooting steps. I am still going over the material so it is early to make additional comments. So far so good.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:10 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Jamie,
I suggest you read chapter 5 on the drivetrain and read the gearbox ratios charts.
If the odometer is kaput you get it fixed. This is an internal fault of the speedo. A stripped drive gear. No point mentioning this kind of detail in a book. Speedo is stuffed remove it and get it fixed. Common sense stuff like this was left out for that reason. I included instrument troubleshooting but of the pointer is going around and the odometer is not then the fault is fairly obvious.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-15-2003, 01:21 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Adrian
Dear Jamie,
I suggest you read chapter 5 on the drivetrain and read the gearbox ratios charts.
If the odometer is kaput you get it fixed. This is an internal fault of the speedo. A stripped drive gear. No point mentioning this kind of detail in a book. Speedo is stuffed remove it and get it fixed. Common sense stuff like this was left out for that reason. I included instrument troubleshooting but of the pointer is going around and the odometer is not then the fault is fairly obvious.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
I will read chapter 5. Thank you.

On the odometer, my comments are because, after searching here in the forum there was nothing clear on whether this was something that could be fixed on our own. Broken gear should be easy to replace as a diy project.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:43 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Jaime,
I am sorry you are disappointed but well I guess somebody had to be. I am certainly not perfect either and cannot think of every little issue.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-15-2003, 05:23 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Adrian,

Nope, not disappointed. As I mentioned, I am very pleased with the book and with what I have seen so far… just so happens that the two items I immediately went to look for one was not in there and the other one is in chapter 5.

As I continue to go over the book there are many things that will come handy when a problem arises.

I am sorry you are taking this as negative criticism, it is not. I am very grateful for all the help you have provided me directly or indirectly with your emails/posts.

The book is worth it. In fact I have order another one to hand out as a Christmas gift. So relax Adrian... ...take it as info for a second edition
Old 12-15-2003, 05:58 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

You will find diferences as they arise in the various chapters. The Swiss 964s did not deserve their own differences list. Transmission and alarm are the main differences.
When I put so much effort into something and somebody then turns around and says in public to thousands of people "they are disappointed" because I did not do this that or the other, then yes it is a bit of a downer. What is called a "not very good" review. Mind you I have already had somebody complain that I did not strip a 964 down and make a Haynes type manual but at least that one came privately.
This is why I was advised to leave the forums when the book was published and released but I decided to stick it out.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-15-2003, 11:15 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adrian,
Yahoo, I got mine today! Great job! I have spent about an hour with it so far. Looks very comprehensive. I was also surprised to see my engine on page 515 (I have Zane's SoK supercharged motor in my car now). Very cool. Congratulations!
Old 12-16-2003, 12:00 AM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Adrian
This is why I was advised to leave the forums when the book was published and released but I decided to stick it out.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
I, for one, very much appreciate your sticking around. I believe my opinion reflects the vast, vast majority.

You've sacrificed tremendously in publishing a book that you knew would not make you rich, let alone financially compensate you for the endless hours you put into it. At the same time, you've made yourself available to respond to our queries here on Rennlist. *None* of the other Porsche boards (Rennlist or Pelican) have someone like you. You've done more than they ever will and need not apologize for anything.

With the utmost appreciation,

Jon
Old 12-16-2003, 12:32 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by JonSeigel
I, for one, very much appreciate your sticking around. I believe my opinion reflects the vast, vast majority.

You've sacrificed tremendously in publishing a book that you knew would not make you rich, let alone financially compensate you for the endless hours you put into it. At the same time, you've made yourself available to respond to our queries here on Rennlist. *None* of the other Porsche boards (Rennlist or Pelican) have someone like you. You've done more than they ever will and need not apologize for anything.

With the utmost appreciation,

Jon
Well said Jon, I totally agree

Quick Reply: Adrian's book..... worth the money!