Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Option M718 993s

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Tom Mazz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peace All and good will to our fellow 993 and 964 owners.
Tom
Old 01-28-2004, 02:35 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Some 993 owners might find my 964 book useful. There are many items which are exactly the same and other which are very similar. Easily adaptable to the 993.
One point though. The US version of the 993 has a slightly different 3.6L engine to the ROW version. This is not covered in the 964 book because they had the same 3.6L engine.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-28-2004, 02:50 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes. What an ugly thread. And getting worse...
Old 01-28-2004, 03:00 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Adrian,

Never heard of you before today till reading these posts. If it makes you feel any better about all the flak, I ordered your book from Amazon a few minutes ago. Even though I have a 993, it looks like it might be helpful to a first time Porsche owner.

Consider this whole episode some pretty good (and cheap) advertising.

As for this and your previous request for 993 info, I do agree with Greg Fishman. A little on the obnoxious side and please and thank you are expected. Even from an expert.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

ok .....back to basics Adrian..... ....i'm confused (then again maybe ignorant when it comes to 993 stuff and that's why i'm buying the book) .... so, i have a 95 C2, the 718 option code comes up but no luck with either the decoders or a rennlist post.....what is it?.......i'll buy an advance copy now if you sign the inside cover and say something nice
Old 01-28-2004, 05:10 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Wow!

Some people over here sure have short fuses.

I think Adrian made the mistake of thinking you'd all know his name and what he was about. Easy to do that when you have been on Rennlist as long as he has and are so well known in certain areas of it. A lot of people on Rennlist regard the people here as their friends. I guess that can lead to friction sometimes.

Really, guys, just cool it. Adrian is a straight-talking, honest guy and his book will enhance the value and enjoyment of your cars, I don't doubt.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Option M718 allowed Porsche to change the VIN to make it the next model year. Inotherwards in your case they had the 1994 model 993s and they used this option to turn them into 1995 model years. Porsche first used this in 1992 to turn the first batch of RS Americas built in model year 1992 to 1993 models. However they retained the original engine which was a 1992 engine.
What I am trying to determine is what engine do you have in your 993. R series or S series. Ths should show up on the label on the underside of the luggage compartment lid. It will say M64/XX then give a 3 digit number.
Or you can check the engine serial number on the crankcase.
As for signing books lets get it to the printers first. I always put nice things on the dedication page when I sign them.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: Option M718 was only used in the USA.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

This whole thread simply blows me away! Why would anyone want to cut off their nose to spite their face? If 993 owners get 1/2 the book that Adrian wrote about the 964 then they should be prepared to be blown away - seriously, its that good!

Incidentally, actions speak louder than words and I can recall more than one occasion that Adrian has been out of his way (even going as far as to go outside to take pictures at night and email them to my personal address) to help me get my car running smoothly! If I conduct a search under user name and look at all the threads I have posted looking for help - Adrian has responded to 99%.

This is a person that actually cares and hence some of the sensitivities that are apparent. Perhaps you should realize that this book is more a labor of love born from passion than it is a financial endeavor (which I'm sure Adrian would concur)! That anyone would want to throw cold water over something like this is completely beyond me!

Also, while I'm in the saddle, DTR - that avatar is not only humorless but its insulting and mocking to JD as well as to Adrian and other moderators! Did you really think about it before you decided to upload it (are you capable)? Also, the fact you believe that by NOT having "user" updated to "member" is some sort of humble act is pure BS...by displaying that you are a member you are actively showing that you support Rennlist and believe it to be worthy of your subscription!

I mean, with that attitude, you are European, right
How many people do you wish to offend? You must be very unhappy is all I can deduce from this pathetic, bitter tirade!

Adrian - you should not even bother to respond to posts from users such as this, it is truly not worth your time and they simply DO NOT DESERVE a reply! Respond in kind by continuing to help those who need it and by providing some of the best resources for true Porsche enthusiasts that exist!

I will be buying your 993 & 911SC books in addition to the 964 book - can't wait!

--Howard
Old 01-28-2004, 05:33 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by chris walrod
Adrian is an asset to the 964 crowd. However, not sure if its his english, but he does come across somewhat rude and/or harsh. I would love to help in getting info/pics to him, but like others have said, it doesnt seem he is too appreciative...
Just my two cents
Adrian, please dont take what I wrote earlier the wrong way as I think you did. I gave you 'kudos' for your detailed guidance for the 964 forum. As I said in my reply quoted above, its hard to tell in what tone, how someone is speaking to you. Its just that your replies (not all) come back sounding harsh, especially when someone questions your answers. In the past, I chalked it up to the Euro-English dialect.

I have followed the 964 forum for some time now (as I love those cars as well and they have quite similar 'inner workings') and do notice your contribution. I have read many threads where people have argued with you about certain topics, and typically you are correct in your facts. Again, kudos to you.

To answer your question to me, no I have not read your book, yet. I do however have it on my list of books to buy, based on 964 owner reviews. If you write a 993 book, I will most likely buy that as well.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Chris,
I am actually Australian. My post was purely a detailed request follow up. It was written exactly how I would write it on the 964 forum. Basically, "hey guys what is going on" the photos have slowed up and I am not getting some questions answered here" I addressed the forum as I would any other.
I deliberately wrote the post in matter of fact form to ensure everything was clear. I received quite a lot of grief from some (a few) people on the 964 book even though I had made it clear it was for love and glory only.
I am writing the 993 book and I hope that 993 owners contribute. I want you all to contribute, for you not for me. I can use factory photos and images if I have to. That was the point of the way my post was written.
Contributions are purely voluntary. Greatly appreciated because it allows me to create an enthusiasts book but! I can write it without contributions. However I have nearly 1000 images already from 993 owners and more to come so I/we are doing fine.
Accuracy of the book requires me to ask questions of American version owners. If those answers are not forthcoming then mistakes will be made and I am trying to avoid that, for your sakes as well as my own.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

adrian....thanks mate.....will get you the info.......as for DTR eating crow, you might ask him if he wants fries with that...
Old 01-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mike_A
as for DTR eating crow, you might ask him if he wants fries with that...
Hey Mike, when you show me that Adrian knows more about 993s than 'most' members on this forum (as was argued by someone at the top), I will ask for onion rings with that crow. But so far, all I have see is this:

by Adrian:
Accuracy of the book requires me to ask questions of American version owners. If those answers are not forthcoming then mistakes will be made and I am trying to avoid that, for your sakes as well as my own.
Basically, he is saying that without the US 993 Rennlisters help, his book will contain mistakes. Hmmmmm, makes you wonder after all, doesn't it? Still think I should eat some crow?

Adios,
DTR
Old 01-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Mike,
I look forward to it. A photo of the label on the underside of the luggage compartment lid would be kool as well. This kind of data will be most valuable in the buyers guide section as well in the VIN and engine serial number section.
Later on I shall post a request for serial numbers for model years. The Porsche data is let us say not overly accurate in this area and I want to at least try and make sure we get the right range. I do not know in the 993 world if this has happened but I know in the 964 world a number of owners have been told that their serial numbers do not exist. Especially those from model year 1990 in the USA. They do exist and I eventually got to the bottom of it but the available databases for searching do not have the correct serial number ranges.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-28-2004, 07:03 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

DTR,

I genuinely don't mean to fan flames here but what was actually said was to the effect that, within a very short space of time, Adrian would probably know more about the 993 than most on this board.

Knowing how detailed and thorough Adrian's research and knowledge are, coupled with the fact that he already knows the 964 inside out - what can you find so offensive in that?

Nobody (and certainly not Adrian himself) said he knows more than you, or any other individual...

Just let it rest. I bet you have more important problems to worry about. I know I do. And I know Adrian does. I suggest we just move on.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

What is this ****?

This is spinning out of control. Way out of control.

There are people involved in this who I know are terrific people. Who I respect very, very much. And who are very valuable members of Rennlist.

What ithis has degeneratied into is an embarrassment.

Sorry Adrian, but your request comes across as terse and testy.

From what I know of you, I can't imagine you meant it that way. But it reads that way. I took it exactly that way when I read it the first time. And since this has been reduced to all kinds of "who gives you the right..." exchanges, I'll add that is from a professional who is paid to evaluate effective writing.

This is bull ****.

Quick Reply: Option M718 993s