Sponsored by:

Option M718 993s

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please people..........

Adrian is very is very helpfully on the 964 board, and also on other boards. We need his input.
I think Adrian ment it ok but it isn't understood that way even I have sometimes "different opinions" and hassle with him, but we work it out all the time.

Let's help him with the 993 Book, and it will be from the same good quality as the 964 book. I think I will buy also a 993 book. Always interesting to read.

Let go on with the real issue here please.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear DTR,
I do not make deals with anonymous people and with 86 posts to this rennlist certainly would not put you in any level of expertise. You are also a user and not a member.
It might interest you to know that Viken and I used to work together on wheels and tyres for all 911s before these forums were even invented. However my friend stop wasting your valuable time on the keyboard because personally you are doing more damage to yourself than anyone else. I have forgotten more than you will ever know.
Oh and DTR I do not need to ask anyone here for their expertise I only asked for pictures and some basic data I wish to confirm as accurate. If I need real data I ask the source. Most of my questions on the forums are to confirm data like serial number ranges etc. You might also be interested to know that I have over 50 contributors already from my first post.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: I still need an answer from US 993 owners on the engine model year installed in the M718 S series 993s.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:17 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally posted by Dirt Track Racer
Do you want me to eat crow?

DTR
How about eating something else with 4 letters? Fool.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Adrian, so now our expertise is judged by number of posts? Well then, I guess your title of super technical resource is deserved.

If you used to work with Viken, why did you stop? He knows more about 993s than you can hope to ever know, but I don't see him contributing to your effort. Please correct me if I am wrong, as you and Viken could be best friends and I don't know it.

by Adrian
I have forgotten more than you will ever know.
Oh and DTR I do not need to ask anyone here for their expertise I only asked for pictures and some basic data I wish to confirm as accurate.
Wow, with an attitude like that, its no wonder you are still looking for help with your book. You may call it data confirmation, but I call it help. I guess the subtle difference gets lost in the European to English translation. I mean, with that attitude, you are European, right?

Just curious too, are you writing about the 993 wiring harness recall in your book? I forget the Rennlisters name (DJ maybe) who led that effort, but is he one of the 50 contributors, or are you writing about that issue yourself?

Goodbye,
DTR
Old 01-28-2004, 10:26 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys will each make your decision as to whether Adrian's Swiss-Aussie manner pisses you off or you roll with that to get to the good stuff the guy brings day in day out. I'd recommend rolling with it, but I've been the grateful recipient of the advice and knowledge from him for almost 3 years now.

His 964 book is really very good and a bunch of guys whose cars or tips appear (fully attributed) got a kick out of working on this. And once he gets started he, more than anyone else I've come across (even including the likes of Frere or Ludvigsen) researches the history of the particular model he is focusing on in a way that fills the gaps that Porsche don't. The ride may not always be smooth but the goal is a good one.

Anyway thats my 2c.

Oh and DTR - you asked "What am I missing?" in your first post after talking about all the advice and on-demand expertise you get from this forum. If I may be so bold, I'd suggest a nice red Rennlist Member logo under your name might be an appropriate way to help support all that good stuff?
Old 01-28-2004, 10:26 AM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Originally posted by Christer
How about eating something else with 4 letters? Fool.
My my, I seem to have hit a nerve. I wonder why all the 964 guys are coming over here to defend Adrian?

Its nice the Europeans are showing their true colors in this thread.

Hey Christer, sod off. There, I just imigrated to Europe.

DTR

[Edited for spelling]

Last edited by Dirt Track Racer; 01-28-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Originally posted by Ruairidh
Oh and DTR - you asked "What am I missing?" in your first post after talking about all the advice and on-demand expertise you get from this forum. If I may be so bold, I'd suggest a nice red Rennlist Member logo under your name might be an appropriate way to help support all that good stuff?
Hey Ruairidh,

I heard you thie first time.

How do you know I am not a member? Did you ask JohnD personally? There are lots and lots of members here who don't need labels to prove their worth. I happen to be one of them. In fact, how do you know I am not a lifetime member humble enough not to want to brag about it?

Does that red label really give you credibility on the forums you seem to suggest it does? Or is it post count that is most important? If thats the case, I am glad you guys drive 964s and I don't have to read your elitest crap on the 993 board. I would bet I have been around here a lot longer than you have.

DTR
Old 01-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My my, I seem to have hit a nerve. I wonder why all the 964 guys are coming over here to defend Adrian?

Its nice the Europeans are showing their true colors in this thread.

Hey Christer, sod off. There, I just emigrated to Europe.

DTR
Is DTR the pseudonym for another more regular '95 993 owning poster, used when he/she wants to make a BS post? And wants to hide behind a false name? Ugh! At least the avatar gives fair warning as to the toxicity of the content.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:36 AM
THE SIGN GUY
7th Gear

What is with all the cynicism? Why have you chosen to belittle Adrian? While I have not had the opportunity to read his books, I have read many of his posts. He has been nothing but a selfless purveyor of helpful information in both the e-mail lists and the web forums. I don't even know Adrian personally, and it's obvious that you don't either. So why would you make such derogatory, rude, and uncalled for remarks. While his Euro-English may not come across the way he intended, I firmly believe that he meant no disrespect. If you have no interest in his books or knowledge, that is your choice. You retain the right not to purchase or read his helpful information. You do not however have the right to attack him or anyone else for asking a question or attempting to obtain information. If you do not wish to participate in his request, then don't. Please refrain from personal attacks in your future posts. I personally await the 993 book, as I do not know all that I need to know about these cars.

Respectfully, Kevin
Old 01-28-2004, 10:42 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Gimme a break....

DTR - if you don't like the way a thread reads - or some folks ask a question - ignore them. As for Adrian, just like many others - sometimes we all come across in a post in a different fashion then what was intended. I might point out - as in your own posts. Probably this one as well.

Further - if you have a problem as to why I made Ardian a "Lead Technical Advisor" - why don't you just forkin' ask? I'd be delighted to tell you "why".

Further - I am a 993 owner - and I did help persuade Adrian to write a book. When you purchase a copy of his 964 book, perhaps you'll understand "why". In the meantime - whether 964 and/or 993 owners choose to buy a book is their choice. Just as it's "my choice" who I change the Titles of in this Forum, my choice whether I asked Adrian or not to consider authoring a 993 book - and my choice as to when to step into a thread....

If you - or anyone - has a problem to "my choices", please feel free to contact me - and be sure to enlighten me as to why "your choices" are better and my "choices" are wrong...
Old 01-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

DTR

I am a 964 guy too, but I don't believe that Adrian needs to be defend by us, we only want to tell you that Adrian is a technical well informed source we all need, also you may need some day his technical expertise I think.

We are not all on the same frequency with Adrian all the time, but this doesn't mean that you have to act as some child which toys are stolen.....

We talk about beeing gentle to each other, so try to calm down a little, and go on a normal way of communacation here please.
We are on Rennlist here, not on some cheap chat box.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Is DTR the pseudonym for another more regular '95 993 owning poster, used when he/she wants to make a BS post? And wants to hide behind a false name? Ugh! At least the avatar gives fair warning as to the toxicity of the content.

Well said Ruairidh, there's nothing more cowardly IMHO, than hiding behind an alias.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Thanks John. As always your cooler head makes the most sense. I guess I am just a little skeptical of a guy (any guy) that professes to be an expert and comes across a certain way. Most experts I know (in any subject, not just cars) are very unassuming and low key. When asked for advice, they will offer it, but without an attitude.

Problem as I see it now: I am going to have to buy a book after all just to see if he really does know more about 993s then most people on this forum. My bet still stands though that he wont.

I guess the attitude is what put off from the start here. But you are right, none of my business I guess.

DTR
Old 01-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Just curious too, are you writing about the 993 wiring harness recall in your book? I forget the Rennlisters name (DJ maybe) who led that effort, but is he one of the 50 contributors, or are you writing about that issue yourself?

DTR,
That helpful rennlister is named EJ. He put together a great website with lots of info on the wiring harness issues and tracked and reported it to Porsche. Can't say for sure but I guess it is a big reason why Porsche did a recall to begin with. Since this is a big problem I would think EJ would be able to make a sizable contribution to this book.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:07 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

What's all this nonsense about! If any of these protesters knew what was going on there would be no confusion or miscommunication!

Adrian, Please continue your great work and ignore those who wish to just waste everyone's time with their adolescent behavior!

Your new book is awesome and the most comprehensive work I've seen for any Porsche series model written. Your book is worth more to me than its current price.

I totally agree with John D.'s comments. Thanks again Adrian for all of your hard work and relentless efforts. Please continue your 993 project and always remember that you can never please everybody and that there's always a doofus in the forums!

Quick Reply: Option M718 993s