993 Forum 1995-1998

Tramont Cup 2 Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 07:55 PM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilllEmpirE
Which Caps are those? I have the Nice Metal Caps on my stock Cup wheels and would rather keep them on there. Been looking at some of the Plastic Caps...which seem easier to Pop on and off....but there seems to be MANY different ones.
Both the colored and the black/grey ones are OE Porsche plastic wheel caps. They cost a small fortune here in my contry. The Colored ones have PN 00004460601 and is also referd to as the "big colored crest cap" at my local dealer. I dont have the PN for the grey/black caps sadly. Once i got them I set them in with wax for the wheels and then I put them on. Straight fit from the start and they stay there no matter how hard you drive or hit potholes.
I also bought some copy caps off ebay, but those dont match in color, crest colors is way off and the surface is uneven painted (lots of structure), and they genreally do not give the wheels the quality they should have. My suggestion is to stay clear from ebay caps and go for OE caps
Old 07-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Update on my wheels. One of my fronts is not round; the outer lip has a flat spot. There was no evidence of this upon delivery and inspection nor is there any evidence of an impact as the shipping boxes did not have a crumpled corner or rip. I contacted Christine and they are sending me bolts, nuts, outer rim and silicone sealant along with instructions to replace the outer rim myself. I asked Christine if I could have it repaired and they instructed me to replace the outer lip and not to attempt repair or heat and bend the outer rim back into shape.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:45 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Brig993
Update on my wheels...One of my fronts is not round. The outer lip has a flat spot. There was no evidence of this upon delivery and inspection. nor is there any evidence of an impact the shipping boxes did not have a crumpled corner or evidence of an impact. I contacted Christine and they are sending me bolts, nuts, and outer rim and silicone along with instructions to replace the lip myself. I asked Christine if I could have it repaired and they instructed me to replace the outer lip an not replace or attempt to heat and bend the outer rim back into shape.
Sorry to see that . Without evidence of damaged packaging, how is something this obvious leaving Tramont's hands? At least they are taking care of the issue.

Andreas
Old 07-10-2018, 11:41 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Update on my wheels. One of my fronts is not round; the outer lip has a flat spot. There was no evidence of this upon delivery and inspection nor is there any evidence of an impact as the shipping boxes did not have a crumpled corner or rip. I contacted Christine and they are sending me bolts, nuts, outer rim and silicone sealant along with instructions to replace the outer rim myself. I asked Christine if I could have it repaired and they instructed me to replace the outer lip and not to attempt repair or heat and bend the outer rim back into shape.

Sorry to hear, sounds like Christine is on it. out of curiosity, you aren't using rainex on the wheels are you?
Old 07-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Sorry to see that . Without evidence of damaged packaging, how is something this obvious leaving Tramont's hands? At least they are taking care of the issue.

Andreas
Christine at Tramont has been great to work with from ordering, to shipping/customs and this issue. She immediately offered the repair parts, detailed instructions on the repair and expedited shipping. The packaging wasn't damaged at all the boxes arrived in excellent condition and a quick visual inspection after opening the boxes and signing off on the DHL delivery lead me to believe that. It was only when I completely unpacked them and was getting ready to send them off to be mounted that I noticed the flat spot. There was absolutely no cosmetic damage or evidence of an impact that would lead to the bend/flat spot as you can see in the photos. I believe that it was a manufacturing defect or perhaps damaged during packing and the packer just boxed it up and set it long. Still I am completely happy with the look and feel of the wheels. Now I will have to see how good I am at 3 piece wheel repair, I think I'd rather attempt this myself then send it out to my local wheel and tire shop.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rlme36
Sorry to hear, sounds like Christine is on it. out of curiosity, you aren't using rainex on the wheels are you?
Thank you and Yes she has been great about this. No, only on the glass!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Manual991
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 66 Posts

One of my fronts had a bend as well. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-in-oc-ca.html Unfortunately, I had tires installed so can't prove when it happened. I originally thought it happened during tire installation but I think it arrived that way but didn't notice when I looked them over. Christine told me that there's no way it could happen during shipping and wanted me to buy a new outer ring. A wheel repair shop straightened it no problem. He did say that the Tramont rings are soft so hopefully these hold up.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

I sent them unboxing photos and notified them right after delivery, they saw the wheels were not mounted and as packed. Christine immediately offered to send me all the parts to replace the outer lip, no charge along with detailed instructions (they shipped them out yesterday via express mail). I believe that our timing of notifying them and difference in severity of damage led to difference in the responses we received from Tramont. Christine specifically recommended I replace the outer lip, not repair it. I didn't ask why but perhaps it has something to do with the soft material you mentioned. I wouldn't worry about your repair as nearly all aluminum wheels can be easily repaired once or twice; its if it has to be repaired multiple times I'd be replacing the whole lip. If Tramont wasn't sending me a whole new outer I'd repair it without hesitation. It wasn't too hard to disassemble the wheels and in doing it I gained appreciation for their quality. I think the hardest part for me will be laying down a good solid bead of silicone like Tramont did.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:08 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Thank you and Yes she has been great about this. No, only on the glass!
Sorry to hear about this.

You now have me concerned where I bring my wheels in to get new tires installed. Is there really a difference between a place that has a specialty equipment like the road force balancer or a regular tire shop like Big O/Costco, etc...

Do they all use the same machines install tires or do the speed shops have special ones for these delicate and expensive wheels?
Old 07-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k

You now have me concerned where I bring my wheels in to get new tires installed. Is there really a difference between a place that has a specialty equipment like the road force balancer or a regular tire shop like Big O/Costco, etc...

Do they all use the same machines install tires or do the speed shops have special ones for these delicate and expensive wheels?
Not all shops use the Road Force machine. The below article explains how the machine works. Pretty cool. IMHO, the shops that use the higher end machines like Road Force are more in tune with their customers needs. That said, a lot comes down to the individual tech. I am one of those PITA customers that makes it known the rims are high end and to be very careful with them. I then stand a respectful distance away and watch. Odd, I know.

The Road Force tire mounting machine also prevents damage to the wheel... From another article, " Wheel damage. It all comes down to the equipment. Meyer from Hunter says a lever-less tire changer with plastic head and rollers avoids metal-to-metal contact. Hennessy says using adjustable pin plates will help prevent damaging the front of the wheel. And a wheel lift on the mounting machine will prevent a tire from being slammed onto any surface, including the balancer itself."

http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...orce_balancing
Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by samurai_k

having similar concerns, i took tires and wheels in boxes to the local dealer. They were really reasonable re install price ~$50 a wheel all in, not bad considering my race tire guy down the street charges $125 for 4 new tires.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:36 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Not all shops use the Road Force machine. The below article explains how the machine works. Pretty cool. IMHO, the shops that use the higher end machines like Road Force are more in tune with their customers needs. That said, a lot comes down to the individual tech. I am one of those PITA customers that makes it known the rims are high end and to be very careful with them. I then stand a respectful distance away and watch. Odd, I know.

The Road Force tire mounting machine also prevents damage to the wheel... From another article, " Wheel damage. It all comes down to the equipment. Meyer from Hunter says a lever-less tire changer with plastic head and rollers avoids metal-to-metal contact. Hennessy says using adjustable pin plates will help prevent damaging the front of the wheel. And a wheel lift on the mounting machine will prevent a tire from being slammed onto any surface, including the balancer itself."

http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...orce_balancing
Thanks! I found a shop with one
Old 07-12-2018, 08:11 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

In case anyone is looking, I found aluminum lug nuts. German Mfg from what I was told by the company that supplied them to dc. No interest, just sharing.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:28 PM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Sorted

After a bit of balancing mystery it seems that the wheels is round enough to be balanced out with weights and changing position of the tire on the rim.
I’ve been thrugh a total of two diffrent companies, and four balancing machines, all from the advanced laser device - to the old beater back in the shed. The thing that did the trick was the old beater. Im not superhappy, but it’ll do as long as I can use the wheels on the car with no shaking in the steeringwheel at any speed.

Great wheels - looks fantastic, but im suprised with how many did have issues with them on this GB, regardless what caused it (dents, tires, rims?, shipping?). Mine was fine sidewise, but had a bit heightdiffrence in them, which is very visible in a machine spinning (especially with a laser).
Talked to Christine but there was little to non interest in help to resolve it. Quite suprising after reading the others feedback and offer to help.

As of tires I went for the Michelin PS2 n3 variant in 225/40/18 front and 285/30/18 rear. After a bit of curvechasing I felt that the 225/40 profile on 8,5’’ rim gives a more sloppy steeringfeedback than the 225/40 on 8’’ OE turbotwist. Not much, but its easy to feel the diffrence as i’ve been changing wheels back and forth 3-4 times. My thinking is that a 235/40 tires is needed on the 8,5’’ to achieve the same feel as the 225/40 on the 8’’ OE wheel. I guess that will be a project for the winter if anyone can back up my theory.

Anyways, thanks for arranging the GB Andy. Much appreciated the time and coordinating that went into it.

Here are som pictures:

John Bean 2000P

3rd Balancing of one of the fronts, after added weights.

New OE lugs after a personal best in changing wheelset back and forth

10x18 et 58 with 17mm spacer rear, 8,5x18 et 46 front. Added two layers of wax on the wheels

Out and about testing the final balancing. No rubbing

Last edited by ClassicAndy; 07-25-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

I just got my replacement outer rim, screws and silicone. I will attempt to repair it today or tomorrow then mount tires and see how they balance out. I'm sure my issue was a manufacturing defect Christine did say they have strict QC and all wheels are thoroughly inspected before shipping. I'm not sure what the reason for the different responses from Tramont was I notified them immediately and the sent out the repair parts quickly.

Quick Reply: Tramont Cup 2 Group Buy