Sponsored by:

Tramont Cup 2 Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 02:54 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb616
I've only put maybe 500 miles on them in the last 2ish years, but they're really nicely built wheels. The only annoying part is the water seeping from behind the lips after cleaning. Gotta drive a little then dry a second time to avoid spotting. I'm considering a second set in this group buy.
I heard from a local about the seeping water too. Would be great to give this feedback back to them, seems it should be an easy fix.

Can imagine you clean your wheels, park overnight to see them with water or grease streaks in the am.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I did have a conversation with Christine a few years back and she said she never heard of the issue - which I suspect is not true since I have seen it mentioned before. Its very frustrating to spend this sort of $$$ of wheels and they get dirty every time you wash the car (or drive in the rain) and drive afterwards.

As a bit of advice, don't go too aggressive on offsets, you can always use thin spacers to get the placement right, and then you have adjustability across different tire manufacturers (where the sidewall profile can be radically different).

Cheers

Mike

Originally Posted by Knight
I heard from a local about the seeping water too. Would be great to give this feedback back to them, seems it should be an easy fix.

Can imagine you clean your wheels, park overnight to see them with water or grease streaks in the am.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:13 AM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
Are people satisfied with their wheels? Seems like there may have been production issues?
I am very happy with Andys organization of the previous Tramont group buy. Highly recomended if you want a set of these .

After owning these wheels for two years + my thought and experience is that their production is overall very good quality, the design and time period of the wheels fits the 993 overall very well. Opposed to the turbo twists / hollow spokes, they give a much more aggressive stance to the car, so have that in mind on what look you want to achieve before the purchase.
I have both sets and change back and forth from time to time depending what look I want on the car.
I find that performance is a small amount poorer than with the hollow spokes. I have the same tires on both wheelsets (Michelin Ps2 N3 225/40/18 and 285/35/18) and I can feel the subtle differences on acceleration where the hollow spokes are marginally quicker and responsive. Note that this is marginally and therefore not experienced the same way by everyone.
As others have mentioned, seeping water is a issue I had as well. I did end up splitting my wheels to see if resealing the lip bolts would do any positive effect on the seeping. I also did get the lips polished at the same time. The fix did help a bit on seeping, but sometimes they do seep no matter what. Maybe that's a bolt design issue?
Another reason why I ended up polishing the lips, is that washing the wheels with the wrong wheel cleaner, leaves marks in the anodized lips. This is not reversible other than removing the anodization and do it all over again. I therefore removed it completely and found that I liked the polished look better.

Overall great wheels that I think is nice and period correct to the 993s. As Nike says "just do it" if you are in doubt. Prices vs quality cant be matched by others like these today (bold statement).

Here is a picture of my 4s on the Tramont cup 2's polished and resealed.
I run an NB set on a WB car. Wheels spec is 8,5x18 ET 48 and 10x18 ET 58. 7mm spacers up front and 23mm in the rear makes the ET corrected to ET41 front and ET35 rear. This results in no rubbing when pushing limits. I tried with 28mm spacer in the rear, and that did rub.

Picture of the wheels with their anodization on the lips

Picture of the wheels with polished lips and anodization removed

Much shinier than before

Last edited by ClassicAndy; 05-23-2021 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Added pics and corrected text
Old 05-24-2021, 02:08 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 563 Posts

Wish Tramont would offer a high polished lip with no anodize. They almost look like a brush finish.

Also, has anyone seen photos of the Cup 1 version on a 993?
Old 05-24-2021, 03:23 PM
Knight
Drifting

Those looks great with the polished lips
The following users liked this post:
boomboomthump (05-25-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 09:29 PM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

Why not just ask for the set to be shipped in pieces and you would possibly save on shipping, be able to have the lips polished or plated if you wanted and build them yourself?
Old 05-24-2021, 10:17 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight

That's exactly what will happen unless you drive after the wash then wipe down the lips. It's not terrible. but it is annoying.

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Wish Tramont would offer a high polished lip with no anodize. They almost look like a brush finish.
Take it from a guy with raw polished lips on E88s and these finished lip Temonts. The E88's are a f**king nightmare compared to the Tremonts. If you've never had raw polished lips on wheels before, you should know what your'e getting into from a maintenance perspective. Im going to rebuild my E88's with the same finish as the Tremonts as soon as I can.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:47 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

I've had wheels with raw polished lips forever and disagree. Anodized lips are the worst thing ever.

Different strokes I guess.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:51 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paulkromz
Why not just ask for the set to be shipped in pieces and you would possibly save on shipping, be able to have the lips polished or plated if you wanted and build them yourself?

Assuming they have the lips without anodize already on them, yes. If they can only supply them with ano (because perhaps they buy in bulk form an OEM) then... uggggh.

Also, $1850 best and final
The following users liked this post:
paulkromz (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 08:22 AM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

chrome plate and call it a day doe.

plus they arent for sale Brian
Old 05-26-2021, 01:18 AM
sn31496
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested!

Interested in a set, thank you for looking into it!
Old 05-26-2021, 01:25 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
I've had wheels with raw polished lips forever and disagree. Anodized lips are the worst thing ever.

Different strokes I guess.
Curious, do you mean from a maintenance perspective? If so, what's your strategy for polished lips?

I keep mine as clean as possible, and touch them up with Mothers polish a few times a year, but to do so effectively requires removing the wheels. Then I'll use an air polisher once a season, but it's really hard to get the section closest to the center even with a 1" disc.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:41 PM
Knight
Drifting

Originally Posted by tjb616
Curious, do you mean from a maintenance perspective? If so, what's your strategy for polished lips?

I keep mine as clean as possible, and touch them up with Mothers polish a few times a year, but to do so effectively requires removing the wheels. Then I'll use an air polisher once a season, but it's really hard to get the section closest to the center even with a 1" disc.
The problem with polished lips is as soon as you drive in the rain it's done!

I've had my LMs polished lips for many years now, I was recommended back then from RL to use Rejex (applied annually) and so far so good. But I'm curious to if there are some newer recommended products? Another option which is gaining popularity on polished lips is to ceramic coat them.

You def can't be the finish of a raw polish though.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:51 PM
akrca4
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 65 Posts

HI, here are the names I have gathered so far for those that are interested in Group Buy#2:

95_993
rs911porsche
motobri
nathan1 2 sets
sn31496

I think we still need couple more people to get the GB discount. Christine mentioned that price will increase again in June, so let me know soon if anyone still interested!

For those that have expressed interests, can you PM me the following info so I can compile the list for Christine? Let me know if there are any questions. Thanks!
First Name, Last Name, Email, RL Name, Offset (WB/NB/NB RS), Center Color, Zip Code

Andy
Old 05-28-2021, 05:30 PM
marcelo_caz
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

@akrca4 is the price listed in USD or Euro?

Quick Reply: Tramont Cup 2 Group Buy