Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you accept that the new hybrid was built from a "defensive" perspective ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 12:42 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
We get it, you don’t like it. There are plenty of other cars on the market. Keep your 992.1 or buy something different. Porsche isn’t going to ditch this powertrain after investing millions because 5 guys on rennlist aren’t happy. The car will sell well, it’ll perform well, it may have a few technical bugs for the first model year which will be covered by warranty. Can we move on?
Actually, Porsche invested way more than “millions”…not just for the hybrid 992.2, but for Porsche’s move to the electrification of it’;s models:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpor...ternational-de

PS - Love your comment about the “5 guys on Rennlist that aren’t happy”. 👍

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-22-2024 at 12:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
user 999993337 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 12:55 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by yrralis1
So you are not even in the game and complaining about dissent.
Oh, I’m “in the game”. But unlike you, I actually try to observe and objectively evaluate things…before passing judgement. Unlike the 5 amigos on RL.

I differ from you . I had a deposit and was slated as number 1 . I withdrew . It was not easy to do and frankly I am disgusted having to do it. I am 66 years old . If I sit out this time , how many more do I have ? Time matters to me but I wont be a chew toy for a car that was built based on the rules of another government than. my own country .
So far, the take away for me, on the 992.2:

- Faster on the street and on the track. The added weight of the battery was only 103 lbs….so leave off the sunroof to compensate on the track?
- Added complexity that could impact reliability? Maybe? But that’s what warranties are for, no?
- Added cost. Here is where I start to draw the line. I’m not sure i want to participate in Porsche’s continuing price escalations? But that’s my issue.
- Still looks like the 992 that I already have. If I’m going to jump ship from the 992 that I love, I might need a different body style to move me?

What does it sound like at higher rev’s? Is it sweeter sounding than the current 992.1?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-22-2024 at 12:56 PM.
user 999993337 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 01:19 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,386 Likes on 667 Posts

My guess is the response when you hit the gas of the new GTS will make you an instant fan, and make you forget its shortcomings in design.
Timeless992 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 01:27 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,461 Likes on 728 Posts

Another rather worthless thread - @yrralis1 we get it - you hate EV’s (demonstrated in multiple threads where you ramble on forever) and think it’s all just a huge conspiracy of politicians. Apparently you figured it all out and know more about the future than anybody including the guys who make the car. Got it, move on and contribute something helpful on a car forum. We know you don’t want one, okay, move on and go to a forum where they sell the car you want.

I don’t even have a hybrid or EV and I am pretty impartial to it and love my ICE but
a) the more I read about the GTS the more I am impressed what they did - just spend the time and read and you will see. There is so much more than eturbo and a motor in between PDK and engine. Quite fascinating to read independent if I want one or not and why they did it.
b) All you talk about is climate impact and EV’s but you miss the fact that fossile fuels are limited supply. Google it and there are several reputable estimates but all put us into the about 50year time when fossile fuels are exhausted using current consumption levels. Politicians do what politicians do but the underlying fact, in addition to climate change, is fossile fuel driven engines (not just cars) are on a deadline. Only one way to change it - use less and find alternatives.

Now you will respond with a barrage of more of the same you already told us many times.
The following 8 users liked this post by Tobeit:
992.Turbo.S (06-22-2024), CodyBigdog (06-22-2024), Icegrill (06-22-2024), mcacs1 (06-23-2024), rasetsu (06-22-2024), Scott P (06-22-2024), Timeless992 (06-22-2024), user 999993337 (06-22-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-22-2024, 01:45 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 751 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Actually, Porsche invested way more than “millions”…not just for the hybrid 992.2, but for Porsche’s move to the electrification of it’;s models:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpor...ternational-de

PS - Love your comment about the “5 guys on Rennlist that aren’t happy”. 👍
They had no choice to invest . It's not just "5 guys on RL " . Porsche sales in North America. is down 23 percent last quarter . https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2024...ter-35776.html

Even globally they are in the red 4 percent

The big seller was Germany if you look at those numbers . Guess what were the biggest sellers in Germany (Spoilerv alert .. Macan and cayenne )
Guess what was the disaster in Germany in 2023 .. Taycan - 4 percent . Here are 2023 numbers (when sales were better ) https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2023...023-33090.html

Even in their own country they cant push this without taking away the pure ICE . This year they canned the ICE Macan in much of Europe (except UK I believe citing Brexit ) . We still get them here is the USA but its handicapped (no revisions , mediocre colors compared the the EV Macan offerings ) . There is a deliberate effort to push EV and despite that ICE Macans are still the top sellers . Some goes for cayenne with the Base and S being the tops here as it faces the end of life .

Old 06-22-2024, 01:58 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Another rather worthless thread - @yrralis1 we get it - you hate EV’s (demonstrated in multiple threads where you ramble on forever) and think it’s all just a huge conspiracy of politicians. Apparently you figured it all out and know more about the future than anybody including the guys who make the car. Got it, move on and contribute something helpful on a car forum. We know you don’t want one, okay, move on and go to a forum where they sell the car you want.

I don’t even have a hybrid or EV and I am pretty impartial to it and love my ICE but
a) the more I read about the GTS the more I am impressed what they did - just spend the time and read and you will see. There is so much more than eturbo and a motor in between PDK and engine. Quite fascinating to read independent if I want one or not and why they did it.
b) All you talk about is climate impact and EV’s but you miss the fact that fossile fuels are limited supply. Google it and there are several reputable estimates but all put us into the about 50year time when fossile fuels are exhausted using current consumption levels. Politicians do what politicians do but the underlying fact, in addition to climate change, is fossile fuel driven engines (not just cars) are on a deadline. Only one way to change it - use less and find alternatives.

Now you will respond with a barrage of more of the same you already told us many times.
This isnt a 'conspiracy" . People elected those European politicians . They took their job to task and voted in the mandates . Then the public began to examine it . As the politicians were heading towards carbon neutral supply chain factories and eyeballing agriculture and the farmers it hit them . They began to realize the impact on their economy . So elections took place about two weeks ago and all three (Germany, Italy, and France ) voted them OUT !!!!! What new leadership decides to proceed is yet not determined but they did run on climate change , France already called a meeting last week . These are facts !!

What is most disturbing about this thread is that NOT ONE PERSON debated the points made in that video (post number 1) . Instead it's been one giant ad hominem directed at me or anyone else who tells EV directives to F@@@ off .

None of you had to reply ., It clearly hasn't silenced me . That bothers you .
Old 06-22-2024, 03:01 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

This isnt a 'conspiracy" . People elected those European politicians . They took their job to task and voted in the mandates . Then the public began to examine it . As the politicians were heading towards carbon neutral supply chain factories and eyeballing agriculture and the farmers it hit them . They began to realize the impact on their economy . So elections took place about two weeks ago and all three (Germany, Italy, and France ) voted them OUT !!!!! What new leadership decides to proceed is yet not determined but they did run on climate change , France already called a meeting last week . These are facts !!

What is most disturbing about this thread is that NOT ONE PERSON debated the points made in that video (post number 1) . Instead it's been one giant ad hominem directed at me or anyone else who tells EV directives to F@@@ off .

Spot on and right you are.
The European populace has spoken VERY clearly on all the environmental stupidity over there that is destroying the place.
Fortunately for Europe the pendulum is swinging back in the direction of reality and sensibility. The more conservative elected officials now have the daunting task of mopping up the mess that their wind mill and solar panel humpers have made.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hunky:
M3Inline6 (06-23-2024), yrralis1 (06-23-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 03:03 PM
user 999993337
Banned

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

@yrralis1 you are just repeating a broken record. We all got your frustration and the hate you have for the regulations and the 992.2 technology.
Timeless992 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 03:03 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

because your regurgitate your opinion over and over and seem to know better than anybody and talk only about politics and not the merit of the car. Go seek to be elected and change how politics works if that what you want but don’t come to a car forum and clutter your opinion.
Your title of the thread is already telling starting with “can you accept…” - that’s not asking for discussion but trying to force your opinion.

My simple answer is: No. End of discussion.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tobeit:
CodyBigdog (06-22-2024), Timeless992 (06-22-2024), user 999993337 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 03:07 PM
user 999993337
Banned

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
All cars are built from a defensive position, heck I’d say all engineering efforts come from a defensive position if you frame it that way. I an an engineer, I design electronics, so I have to be defensive and comply to UL, FCC, NEC, and a host of other rules and regulations, not to mention cost.

We get it, you don’t like it. There are plenty of other cars on the market. Keep your 992.1 or buy something different. Porsche isn’t going to ditch this powertrain after investing millions because 5 guys on rennlist aren’t happy. The car will sell well, it’ll perform well, it may have a few technical bugs for the first model year which will be covered by warranty. Can we move on?
Spot on.

I am not discouraged by the hybrid system and I have put down a deposit on the 992.2, the car comes with a 4 years warranty and an 8 years warranty on the battery. If I feel that that it has issues I will purchase an additional 2 years warranty, the same as I did with my 991.2 C2S.
Timeless992 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 03:08 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

because your regurgitate your opinion over and over and seem to know better than anybody and talk only about politics and not the merit of the car. Go seek to be elected and change how politics works if that what you want but don’t come to a car forum and clutter your opinion.
Your title of the thread is already telling starting with “can you accept…” - that’s not asking for discussion but trying to force your opinion.

My simple answer is: No. End of discussion.
The politics built the car. It’s not even USA politics. I think at least you’re beginning to see this wasn’t some sort of conspiracy. you just didn’t follow the car itself through the paces that lead to its birth.
Old 06-22-2024, 03:12 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

If the mild(non plug in) hybrid system does for the 992.2 what it has done for my 2024 BMW M60i vs the M50i or E-Ray vs Stingray then I am all in. Bring it on. Both of those hybrids are awesome performers for sure.
Old 06-22-2024, 03:16 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

The politics built the car. It’s not even USA politics. I think at least you’re beginning to see this wasn’t some sort of conspiracy. you just didn’t follow the car itself through the paces that lead to its birth.
huh? I give up. On multiple occasions in this and other threads you either don’t read what you reply to or don’t understand what is written. What you responded to my post makes absolute no sense.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tobeit:
CodyBigdog (06-22-2024), dapangro (06-23-2024), Timeless992 (06-22-2024), user 999993337 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 03:18 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,524 Likes on 5,053 Posts

Forget about the engine and all the hoopla of the other thread . This discussion points at the entire reason the enormous effort and complicated engine came tk be in the first place .
Can you accept that premise without questioning it ? If not , thats easy , you wont buy the car. You might wait to see what other models arrive in 26 . Some are just holding onto the car they have trying to justify that it's not stagnation . Lets face it , even if you are like me and cant stand the idea of this engine the new car did destroy the old car in every performance category and I take this as though Porsche could have done it WITHOUT a hybrid . It's my opinion that Porsche is charging a lot of money for the cars . They keep raising the price and while some here write that a "75K ADM" is not puke worthy I take a totally different view . I feel that even MSRP pricing if its not perfect I am not buying it . I realized that when I started building poverty spec cars to hedge the loss if I hated it and bailed out . If I loved the car I would have gone forward with a full spec .

Heres the discussion . More people are beginning to get it . Some wil say previous car changes were controversial but not like this . It is repeatedly being questioned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTUlHJGc0nw
My English must be slipping.

I honestly have no idea what you just wrote.
The following 9 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
alex2364 (06-22-2024), AlexCeres (06-23-2024), CodyBigdog (06-22-2024), dapangro (06-23-2024), incoming992s (06-23-2024), jhenson29 (06-22-2024), Timeless992 (06-22-2024), Tobeit (06-22-2024), user 999993337 (06-22-2024) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-22-2024, 03:34 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

huh? I give up. On multiple occasions in this and other threads you either don’t read what you reply to or don’t understand what is written. What you responded to my post makes absolute no sense.
Spot on. I WAS going to give a factual response to all his nonsensical points, but then I thought…why waste anymore time. He either doesn’t read, or can’t comprehend the difference between facts, and what he gets from Faux.
Res Ips (06-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Can you accept that the new hybrid was built from a "defensive" perspective ?