Sponsored by:

Test drove a 2024 PDK T.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 07:57 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

IMHO, if you're buying a 992 Carrera T with a PDK, you're doing it wrong. With the 992.1 generation, the T exists so that you can get a manual transmission with the Base engine -- and almost all of the weight savings come from that manual gearbox. Sure, you get access to some options not available on the Base car, but with a PDK T, you're getting precious little included that's worth the $10,500 upcharge over a Base Carrera.

Unfortunately, the reality is that most of the 992 Carrera T's that I have seen in the wild are PDK and optioned up, ie. not enthusiast spec minimalism. I don't get it. The manual take rate for the 992.1 generation is so low that I can understand Porsche's confidence in dropping the 3 pedal option altogether with 992.2.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 08:31 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
For MT die hards like me, the decision is simple...
MT for a weekend/canyons/fun road car.
PDK if you have to share, or daily in traffic, or will track a lot.

PDK is amazing. It's faster and easier that manual. I love it in my daily Macan Turbo. It's just not as fun or engaging.
This. I had a PDK C2S for a year. After about a month, maybe less, I was bored with the transmission. It was just too easy to drive for me. However, PDK is an amazing transmission and I would enjoy owning one if I was driving in traffic or on track. For how I drive, which is on backroads, the extra engagement of a manual is something I enjoy.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:44 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Unfortunately, the reality is that most of the 992 Carrera T's that I have seen in the wild are PDK and optioned up, ie. not enthusiast spec minimalism. I don't get it. The manual take rate for the 992.1 generation is so low that I can understand Porsche's confidence in dropping the 3 pedal option altogether with 992.2.
Agree. Don’t understand ordering a high spec or PDK “T’s” either. I think what is driving the MT phase out is shift to hybrid technology. The mild hybrid motor is built into the PDK and, unlike the MT, the system needs computers and sensors (Nannie’s) to work.
detansinn (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 08:57 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
This. I had a PDK C2S for a year. After about a month, maybe less, I was bored with the transmission. It was just too easy to drive for me. However, PDK is an amazing transmission and I would enjoy owning one if I was driving in traffic or on track. For how I drive, which is on backroads, the extra engagement of a manual is something I enjoy.
This, why I ditched my 2014 I owned for one year with pdk for a ‘19T manual.
dg108 (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 09:39 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Vanilla is definitely better than chocolate. Nobody would ever pay more for chocolate over vanilla. I mean, chocolate might taste okay for the first scoop but by the second scoop, it just sucks because vanilla is better.

Its a subjective topic folks.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:48 AM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Certainly not true among the manual drivers I know.
It’s already been stated multiple times just in this thread!
Old 05-11-2024, 09:54 AM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
I'd consider buying a PDK equipped car IF I could get rid of the Norelco electric razor look of it.
yes I hate that also. The selector in the 991 looks like a real shift **** and you can use it to shift the gears, which is a real plus for me since coming from years of manual transmission it feels very natural.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:07 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by CurryPuff
This should help (number 3) and looks easy enough.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1372...ade-guide.html

I have these, but when we did the group buy on here, it was a great savings. They offer more adjustability than the fixed, OEM 3RS magnetic shifters.

I think the OEM ones are $300 more.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:19 AM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,007 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster
Nobody sells fake paddles for a manual car but Porsche put a fake manual stick in the GT3.
So true. And hilarious to imagine.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:28 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

IMHO, if you're buying a 992 Carrera T with a PDK, you're doing it wrong. With the 992.1 generation, the T exists so that you can get a manual transmission with the Base engine -- and almost all of the weight savings come from that manual gearbox. Sure, you get access to some options not available on the Base car, but with a PDK T, you're getting precious little included that's worth the $10,500 upcharge over a Base Carrera.

I would agree that the manual on base is the main attraction (and most obvious) here but would love a base PDK with the other standard options it comes with like LSD etc. The weight savings argument is more of a marketing pitch as it can be negated with just a few options to click.
detansinn (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 11:28 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

If you're planning on holding onto your new 911 for a long time, the three pedal 7-speed manual transmission is a considerably more reliable long term play. If you spend time in the 991 and 997 forums, you'll see sensor issues and related PDK problems leaving folks in a bad place. Understand that Porsche dealers do not repair PDK transmissions -- they replace them and most indies won't even touch them. There are a couple of vendors out there now doing rebuilds of the 7 speed PDK, but you'll have to get the transmission to them. None of this is cheap. If your failure is something more catastrophic, you may find yourself down the replacement route anyway.

If you'll be in/out of your PDK 911 during the warranty or CPO period, this is no great shakes, but if you are planning to hold onto it a bit longer, it is a consideration.

Last edited by detansinn; 05-11-2024 at 11:29 AM.
Fullyield (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 11:32 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

If you're planning on holding onto your new 911 for a long time, the three pedal 7-speed manual transmission is a considerably more reliable long term play. If you spend time in the 991 and 997 forums, you'll see sensor issues and related PDK problems leaving folks in a bad place. Understand that Porsche dealers do not repair PDK transmissions -- they replace them and most indies won't even touch them. There are a couple of vendors out there now doing rebuilds of the 7 speed PDK, but you'll have to get the transmission to them. None of this is cheap. If your failure is something more catastrophic, you may find yourself down the replacement route anyway.

If you'll be in/out of your PDK 911 during the warranty or CPO period, this is no great shakes, but if you are planning to hold onto it a bit longer, it is a consideration.
interesting take. Never heard of more trouble in PDK than the MT in this generation of trannies. What are the cost difference between a MT and PDL anyway? This generation MT is probably also not as simple as your good old tranny from 20years ago.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:51 AM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 737 Likes on 355 Posts

Is there data to support this or is this anecdotal?
Old 05-11-2024, 12:22 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

But if I remember correctly, the current 7-speed manual is actually based on the old 7-speed PDK transmission, and just adapted through no small feat of over-engineering to a more traditional H-pattern of shifting. So wouldn't that place the 7-speed manual in the same boat as far as being equally a potential pain to maintain in the long term?
Larson E. Rapp (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 12:30 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
Is there data to support this or is this anecdotal?
Read the hundred plus page “Repairing the PDK Transmission” sticky thread full of data and car after car experiencing PDK distance sensor failure. Ask “Sand Wedge”. That poor guy had it happen twice in his original PDK and then agin in his replacement PDK.
detansinn (05-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2024 PDK T.......