Test drove a 2024 PDK T.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 04:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
True. DME reports aren’t a critical pre-purchase exercise for a PDK car.
Also, let's not gloss over the fact that there are indeed catastrophic transmission failures with the MT in both 911 and Cayman/Boxster cars, that have nothing to do with human error. All mechanical failures.

But let's not get too deep into the weeds on what transmission is more reliable, or easier to fix down the road.

While a factor to consider, the more important (and perhaps the only) factor to consider is which transmission you (the generic "you" not you specifically) enjoy the most driving today.
The following users liked this post:
Risley (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 06:00 PM
Risley
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

Hey Guys,

OP here.... I love both the manual and the PDK, and no doubt the manual in the T is pretty much what that car with the base engine was set up for. I have owned 5 Porsche's, the last being my 2018 Carrera T. After test driving the used 2024 Carrera T PDK at Naples Porsche I was beyond pleasantly surprised. I only test drove it for my female friend who was about to place an order but wasn't sure which tranny to pick. I already had placed my order a few days before for my manual Carrera T.

Knowing that I'll be driving it in crappy Naples FL and Charlotte NC traffic daily was a big deciding factor in changing my order to the PDK. If I lived in the country or mountains and wasn't driving it 7 days a week I most likely would have stayed with the manual, but the PDK was impressive.

We can all go round and round about how wrong or right either gearbox is, but in the end they're both excellent.
The following 2 users liked this post by Risley:
jlegelis (05-11-2024), Tobeit (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 06:03 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 281 Posts

Pure FUD. You'll pay about as much to do a clutch job in your manual as you would to replace the distance sensor in your PDK.

If you keep the car long enough, the former WILL happen, and the latter MIGHT.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:10 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 807 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Read the hundred plus page “Repairing the PDK Transmission” sticky thread full of data and car after car experiencing PDK distance sensor failure. Ask “Sand Wedge”. That poor guy had it happen twice in his original PDK and then agin in his replacement PDK.
that would be anecdotes. I would be interested in data. Porsche undoubtedly has it, but is probably not interested in sharing it.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:22 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
IMHO, if you're buying a 992 Carrera T with a PDK, you're doing it wrong. With the 992.1 generation, the T exists so that you can get a manual transmission with the Base engine -- and almost all of the weight savings come from that manual gearbox. Sure, you get access to some options not available on the Base car, but with a PDK T, you're getting precious little included that's worth the $10,500 upcharge over a Base Carrera.

Unfortunately, the reality is that most of the 992 Carrera T's that I have seen in the wild are PDK and optioned up, ie. not enthusiast spec minimalism. I don't get it. The manual take rate for the 992.1 generation is so low that I can understand Porsche's confidence in dropping the 3 pedal option altogether with 992.2.
So true; and the irony with the T is that in many ways the manual transmission is better suited to the S / GTS engine specs with their much beefier torque down low without giving up anything in the upper rev range.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
detansinn (05-11-2024), Fullyield (05-12-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 06:39 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Pure FUD. You'll pay about as much to do a clutch job in your manual as you would to replace the distance sensor in your PDK.

If you keep the car long enough, the former WILL happen, and the latter MIGHT.
Yeah, but you will pay a whole lot more to replace the clutch basket in the PDK than the clutch disk in a manual.
Fullyield (05-12-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 07:02 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
Yeah, but you will pay a whole lot more to replace the clutch basket in the PDK than the clutch disk in a manual.
so now we learn that not only Hall sensors but clutch baskets on an automatic PDK fail often? What is happening 🤯
Old 05-11-2024, 07:04 PM
Crusje
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

People are just trying to justify their manual purchases. The op and his friend already switched to pdk.
​​​​​
Old 05-11-2024, 07:23 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 416 Posts

I offered a personal experience early in this thread before it deteriorated to yet another senseless Rennlist debate.
Make a decision & live with it. Whichever you chose, it’s the price to play the P-car game.
FWIW - as soon as someone mentions resale, I discard anything said. Really not interested in a Garage Queen or driveway Trophy owner thoughts. What counts, for me, are the folks that use there cars for the intended purpose; to be driven. If you are concerned about failures every time you turn the key, look at a Schwin!
Tobeit (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 07:31 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tobeit
so now we learn that not only Hall sensors but clutch baskets on an automatic PDK fail often? What is happening 🤯
They are a wear Item. How fast they wear will depend on how the car is used. Just like a clutch disk.

I bought a car with 20k miles on it and the clutch was dead by 40k. I put a new clutch in it and replaced it after 120k and it didn't even need it. I just had the engine / trans apart and figured why not while I'm in there.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:38 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 281 Posts

Never heard of anyone needing to replace a PDK "clutch basket," whatever that even is.

If your PDK clutch was dead by 40K miles, it was either a freak quality issue, or it was severely abused.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:44 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Never heard of anyone needing to replace a PDK "clutch basket," whatever that even is.

If your PDK clutch was dead by 40K miles, it was either a freak quality issue, or it was severely abused.
The example I gave was about a manual clutch disk.

The assembly that comes off the transmission is typically referred to as the clutch basket. AFAIK that is the only way you can get it from the OEM* as a fully built assembly. Here is what's inside the clutch basket. If I did have a PDK and needed a new one I would probably upgrade it to something like this:
https://www.dodsonmotorsport.com/product/porsche/

*I haven't looked into Porsche specifically, because I don't have a PDK but I'll follow up.

Last edited by Mike818; 05-11-2024 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:59 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

here is the clutch basket, and from what I can tell it is only available as an assembly.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:04 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Risley
Hey Guys,

OP here.... I love both the manual and the PDK, and no doubt the manual in the T is pretty much what that car with the base engine was set up for. I have owned 5 Porsche's, the last being my 2018 Carrera T. After test driving the used 2024 Carrera T PDK at Naples Porsche I was beyond pleasantly surprised. I only test drove it for my female friend who was about to place an order but wasn't sure which tranny to pick. I already had placed my order a few days before for my manual Carrera T.

Knowing that I'll be driving it in crappy Naples FL and Charlotte NC traffic daily was a big deciding factor in changing my order to the PDK. If I lived in the country or mountains and wasn't driving it 7 days a week I most likely would have stayed with the manual, but the PDK was impressive.

We can all go round and round about how wrong or right either gearbox is, but in the end they're both excellent.
Buy a Carrera Base and save $$. The end.
Fullyield (05-12-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 08:08 PM
Evolution1
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Risley
Hi Guys,
As you see from a couple other posts from me, I'm trying to help a female friend decide upon PDK or manual.

I'm a die hard 5x Porsche manual owner, never once did PDK enter my mind...EVER! Well.....I test drove a used 2024 PDK T yesterday in all modes and I was blown away, really impressive. Both transmissions are great and I guess it comes down to how engaged with the car do you want to be, having said that. I'd think that paddle shifting the PDK T offers some level of engagement, sure, not the same as three pedals but still spirited.

Driving this PDK T it just did everything right at just the right time, very well done..

Now I'm wondering........Do I change my allocation order from manual to PDK😩
I have had both my 911 Carrera convertible was a PDK and was really good but I always felt like I was missing something, when I ordered my 2024 T I ordered a manual and it’s so much fun rowing your own gears on a curvy back road, if you are going to use the car as DD then I would get a PDK, my T is just weekend fun car so it’s perfect fit for me.
Risley (05-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2024 PDK T.......