Test drove a 2024 PDK T.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 12:43 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by masmole
But if I remember correctly, the current 7-speed manual is actually based on the old 7-speed PDK transmission, and just adapted through no small feat of over-engineering to a more traditional H-pattern of shifting. So wouldn't that place the 7-speed manual in the same boat as far as being equally a potential pain to maintain in the long term?
The issues that people encounter with the PDK are related to the sensors and actuators. That’s the stuff that breaks or fails. It’s not strictly mileage related either — some of it is simply age and time.

The manual transmission doesn’t have those points of failure. While there are a few mechanical parts in common, the manual is dramatically simpler.

Last edited by detansinn; 05-11-2024 at 12:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
Fullyield (05-11-2024), masmole (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 12:51 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by masmole
But if I remember correctly, the current 7-speed manual is actually based on the old 7-speed PDK transmission, and just adapted through no small feat of over-engineering to a more traditional H-pattern of shifting. So wouldn't that place the 7-speed manual in the same boat as far as being equally a potential pain to maintain in the long term?
Very good question, sir. The failure is not the gears or bearings that are common to both the PDK and MT. Those parts of both transmissions are highly reliable. The weak part prone to failure is an electronic distance sensor that is in the PDK only and not in the MT. The MT is shifted by the driver whereas the PDK is shifted by a computer. So, the PDK needs additional sensors within the transmission constantly sending inputs to the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) so the computer knows when to shift. The PDK has an electronic hall distance sensor buried with the gears so the computer knows what gear the PDK is currently in so it can anticipate and set up the next upshift/downshift. This sensor is the weak link in the PDK and sensor failures are not uncommon. See the extensive sticky “Repairing the PDK Transmission”. The Porsche dealership solution is to replace the entire PDK for $20-$25k because the electronic sensor alone could not be purchased from Porsche or ZF, the manufacturer. Porsche did not want its technicians tearing into the PDK. A handful of independents in Atlanta (Atlanta Speedwerks) and Arizona (Beck’s European) are removing and repairing the PDKs with the T Design replacement sensor for substantially less $ but still very expensive to transport your car to Atlanta or Arizona, remove PDK, open gearbox, replace distance sensor, replace PDK, reprogram and calibrate TCU and PDK.

Last edited by Fullyield; 05-11-2024 at 02:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fullyield:
detansinn (05-11-2024), masmole (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 01:15 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

My apologies. I mispoke. It is Atlanta Speedwerks, not Atlanta Motorworks.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fullyield:
aggie57 (05-11-2024), detansinn (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 01:49 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
My apologies. I mispoke. It is Atlanta Speedwerks, not Atlanta Motorworks.

https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI?feature=shared
they also clearly say and have it on a slide
- very small percentage failure
- would not let that influence buying decision

So, as anything can fail …I am sure there are some out here that have a failed MT.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:14 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Very good question, sir. The failure is not the gears or bearings that are common to both the PDK and MT. Those parts of both transmissions are highly reliable. The weak part prone to failure is an electronic distance sensor that is in the PDK only and not in the MT. The MT is shifted by the driver whereas the PDK is shifted by a computer. So, the PDK needs additional sensors within the transmission constantly sending inputs to the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) so the computer knows when to shift. The PDK has an electronic hall distance sensor buried with the gears so the computer knows what gear the PDK is currently in so it can anticipate and set up the next upshift/downshift. This sensor is the weak link in the PDK and sensor failures are not uncommon. See the extensive sticky “Repairing the PDK Transmission”. The Porsche dealership solution is to replace the entire PDK for $20-$25k because the electronic sensor alone could not be purchased from Porsche or ZF, the manufacturer. Porsche did not want its technicians tearing into the PDK. A handful of independents in Atlanta (Atlanta Motorworks) and Arizona (Beck’s European) are removing and repairing the PDKs with the T Design replacement sensor for substantially less $ but still very expensive to transport your car to Atlanta or Arizona, remove PDK, open gearbox, replace distance sensor, replace PDK, reprogram and calibrate TCU and PDK.
Makes total sense. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Also makes me happier about the long term durability of the 7mt in my T
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 02:36 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tobeit

So, as anything can fail …I am sure there are some out here that have a failed MT.
Nonetheless, it’s something that only afflicts PDK cars. There are lengthy threads here on RennList with tales of woe and it’s a five figure fix. If you want eliminate the possibility, get a manual.
Fullyield (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 02:40 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Agree with your comment. No one stated otherwise if you read the post. But if you take the time to read the sticky, the incidence of the ZF distance sensor failure, though infrequent, is much higher than any mechanical failure in either the MT or the PDK gearbox.. The gearbox in the PDK and MT is so much simpler. The PDK sensor failures remind me of the IMS bearing and bore scoring issues in the 986/987/996/997 programs. Low chance it happens to you but it is a catastrophic event if it does. As my statistics professor used to say, if the tornado hits your house the likelihood of occurrence is 100%. If it happens, it is a $15k-30k repair, minimum . Detansinn's comment is still on point. He said it is a consideration if your car is no longer on warranty........which is a correct statement for anyone doing objective and reasonable analysis, free of ownership bias.. I love the PDK and have owned five.....but it has its issues because of its complexity and Porsche's bad management decision to just replace a $30k transmission whenever it does happen compounds the problem when out of warranty. Electronic equipment designed to sense its environment and constantly bathed in hot gear oil......is anyone surprised to see infrequent sensor failures?
detansinn (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 02:54 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Agree with your comment. No one stated otherwise if you read the post. But if you take the time to read the sticky, the incidence of the ZF distance sensor failure, though infrequent, is much higher than any mechanical failure in either the MT or the PDK gearbox.. The gearbox in the PDK and MT is so much simpler. The PDK sensor failures remind me of the IMS bearing and bore scoring issues in the 986/987/996/997 programs. Low chance it happens to you but it is a catastrophic event if it does. As my statistics professor used to say, if the tornado hits your house the likelihood of occurrence is 100%. If it happens, it is a $15k-30k repair, minimum . Detansinn's comment is still on point. He said it is a consideration if your car is no longer on warranty........which is a correct statement for anyone doing objective and reasonable analysis, free of ownership bias.. I love the PDK and have owned five.....but it has its issues because of its complexity and Porsche's bad management decision to just replace a $30k transmission whenever it does happen compounds the problem when out of warranty. Electronic equipment designed to sense its environment and constantly bathed in hot gear oil......is anyone surprised to see infrequent sensor failures?
well, I just pointed out what the experts in the provided link state and not my opinion - don’t let your buying decision be influenced by that. The tornado example makes no sense - everything is 100% when it actually happens. But that does not stop people buying houses …and Tornados can happen anywhere as we recently learned not just in Tornado ally. When issues like that come up it easily gets into fearmongering. But sure more sensors are possibilities for more failures. But by that logic you should not consider a 911 992 et all.

my point is OP should decide what he likes the most and not let “what may or may not happen down the road” influence his decision. And there are many things that are much more likely that can happen but a PDK failure.

Last edited by Tobeit; 05-11-2024 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:57 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

well, I just pointed out what the experts in the provided link state and not my opinion - don’t let your buying decision be influenced by that. The tornado example makes no sense - everything is 100% when it actually happens. But that does not stop people buying houses …and Tornados can happen anywhere as we recently learned not just in Tornado ally. When issues like that come up it easily gets into fearmongering. But sure more sensors are possibilities for more failures. But by that logic you should not consider a 911 992 et all.
Or….consider a manual which was the original point. I understand ownership bias. You want to defend your PDK….I get it.

Last edited by Fullyield; 05-11-2024 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:10 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

There are more posts about engines failing under warranty than transmissions on RL.

Arguing about them failing seems like a waste of time for justifying which to pick.
Tobeit (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 03:41 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
There are more posts about engines failing under warranty than transmissions on RL.

Arguing about them failing seems like a waste of time for justifying which to pick.
As I suggested, spend some time in 997 and 991 RennList forums with older PDKs out of warranty. Again, it’s not a showstopper. It’s just a consideration for when the car is out of warranty. Most of the 992s on the road right now are still under warranty.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
The issues that people encounter with the PDK are related to the sensors and actuators. That’s the stuff that breaks or fails. It’s not strictly mileage related either — some of it is simply age and time.

The manual transmission doesn’t have those points of failure. While there are a few mechanical parts in common, the manual is dramatically simpler.
Agreed.

But those statistics regarding "failure" do not account for the human factor, which happens more often than people care to talk about (or post about).

#MoneyShifts #MissedShifts
Old 05-11-2024, 04:01 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Agreed.

But those statistics regarding "failure" do not account for the human factor, which happens more often than people care to talk about (or post about).

Exactly.
Zero chance of a money shift in a PDK
Old 05-11-2024, 04:10 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Agreed.

True. DME reports aren’t a critical pre-purchase exercise for a PDK car.

Old 05-11-2024, 04:19 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrKarlB
Exactly.
Zero chance of a money shift in a PDK
While unlikely, I would stop short of “zero chance”. You can log overrevs with a PDK. Under some circumstances, it’s certainly possible.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2024 PDK T.......